Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built my motor to a 719 at the beginning of the year. The little extras are the head was ported (trail port) along with the rubber tubes that go to the head. stage 2 cam along with lrd pro 4 exhaust. Everything was running fine with 175L-180R jets in the carbs. Dynojet needles in the 4th clip. Well my airbox cracked and i decided to hack the crap out of it. The only thing that is left on it is the right side to block the exhaust pipe that runs on that side. Since then it has been popping at full throttle. (Im sure because its running lean). I have put in 190L and 195R and it is still popping but not as bad. Any clue on how high I need to go? The reason that i'm asking is that i haven't seen on here where people are running jets that high. I'm just curious. I dont know if its almost better to find another stock airbox and put it back in. BTW I'm running a proflow intake with an outerwear if that helps any. Fayetteville, NC 300 feet above sea level.
Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Typically, opening the airbox requires upping the mains by 15 to 20 each. You're going in the right direction. You will get better performance without the airbox (as long as you get it jetted properly).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks QM. I ordered jets ranging from 200-220. Either one of those should be able to get me in the right area. We are going to carolina adventure world the weekend of the 4th so I need to get this thing going right.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do. The jets are showing up this afternoon so hopefully tomorrow i can get on the ball.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I recently built my motor to a 719 at the beginning of the year. The little extras are the head was ported (trail port) along with the rubber tubes that go to the head. stage 2 cam along with lrd pro 4 exhaust. Everything was running fine with 175L-180R jets in the carbs. Dynojet needles in the 4th clip. Well my airbox cracked and i decided to hack the crap out of it. The only thing that is left on it is the right side to block the exhaust pipe that runs on that side. Since then it has been popping at full throttle. (Im sure because its running lean). I have put in 190L and 195R and it is still popping but not as bad. Any clue on how high I need to go? The reason that i'm asking is that i haven't seen on here where people are running jets that high. I'm just curious. I dont know if its almost better to find another stock airbox and put it back in. BTW I'm running a proflow intake with an outerwear if that helps any. Fayetteville, NC 300 feet above sea level.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Did you try raising the needles a notch..............

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sure did willy and that didnt help either. I really appreciate the help from you guys. Willy, you got the jetting spot on when I first got it running. So heres my dilemma. I thought that when i hacked the airbox that I would need more fuel (makes sense). Tried all of the jets that I purchased with different needle settings and nothing was working. Was about to give up for the day and i noticed the reverse light barely flickering when i was revving it. Got on here and used the lovely search button and found a post where a guy said his was doing that and he took the connection under the sprocket loose and cleaned it and whalla. So that was my issue. The thing is running like a beast again. This is my first issue with any type of limiter. Well quad is fixed and ready to go play this weekend. Happy 4th of July weekend to all!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I sure did willy and that didnt help either. I really appreciate the help from you guys. Willy, you got the jetting spot on when I first got it running. So heres my dilemma. I thought that when i hacked the airbox that I would need more fuel (makes sense). Tried all of the jets that I purchased with different needle settings and nothing was working. Was about to give up for the day and i noticed the reverse light barely flickering when i was revving it. Got on here and used the lovely search button and found a post where a guy said his was doing that and he took the connection under the sprocket loose and cleaned it and whalla. So that was my issue. The thing is running like a beast again. This is my first issue with any type of limiter. Well quad is fixed and ready to go play this weekend. Happy 4th of July weekend to all!
So what jetting did you end up with after you hacked the box, I usually try to have some kind of wall behind the airbox to kind of trap the air, my feelings is that this creates a higher pressure at the air filter.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts