Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My children have Raptors 90, a 2009 and 2011 model year. The 2011 has the frequently mentioned (here) carb stumbling issues, and it seems to be even worse than the 2009. Will hardly accept throttle without being choked. If someone has the time, and has done this trick before, would you mind explaining in great detail the "washer" method of raining the carb needle? I went back through many threads and dont see more than a general description of how to. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You have to put a small washer under the needle clip thus raising the needle higher.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As many may know the Raptor 90 motor is the same motor as the eton viper 90r. If you doubt this just check out parts lists on the eton site.

Bad points..

I thought i was buying a true yamaha and what I end up with was a rebranded knock off.

Air cooled motor that is used on many scooters... worried about dirt and mud clogging up the system

Good points...

I finally found where to by JETS for the carb. Just go to the eton site and look for a local dealer and they have the jets in stock.

My local dealer understood my throttle response problems right off the bat. These carbs are ship under jetted to met EPA standards. He re-jets every bike he sells.

The yamaha 90 comes with a 100 main jet and a 32 pilot jet. By just upgrading the pilot to a 39 pilot all of my problems went away and the quad runs a million times better.

if you want addtional tuning you can remoce the cap covering the jet screw and then you can fine tune carb.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would also like to add that because i did not drain the carb bowl before I put it up for winter the jets clogged again, and I will have to either try to clean them or replace them this spring.

I have heard that some people have replace the 22mm TK stock carb with aftermarket one, I will be reseaching this more this spring.

·
RaptorPilot
602 Posts
As many may know the Raptor 90 motor is the same motor as the eton viper 90r. If you doubt this just check out parts lists on the eton site.

Bad points..

I thought i was buying a true yamaha and what I end up with was a rebranded knock off.

Air cooled motor that is used on many scooters... worried about dirt and mud clogging up the system

Good points...

I finally found where to by JETS for the carb. Just go to the eton site and look for a local dealer and they have the jets in stock.

My local dealer understood my throttle response problems right off the bat. These carbs are ship under jetted to met EPA standards. He re-jets every bike he sells.

The yamaha 90 comes with a 100 main jet and a 32 pilot jet. By just upgrading the pilot to a 39 pilot all of my problems went away and the quad runs a million times better.

if you want addtional tuning you can remoce the cap covering the jet screw and then you can fine tune carb.
Where did you buy the jets?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I spoke with Keith at Power Equipment Solutions, and he was really helpful. I'll be ordering the jets for my sons '09 Raptor that doesn't run for shit and see if that fixes my problems. I'd hate to purchase a new carb just so the poor kid can ride.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I picked up a full exhaust from Big Gun for about $212. Fit great, a lot lighter and sounds waaaay better. May want to check into it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I picked it up at my local Yamaha dealer. They matched a price I found online. Let me see if I can find the website I used for price match.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Leaving an update:

I ordered a 37 and 39 jet from Keith at Power Equipment Solutions. I didn't bother with the 39 right off due to it possibly running too rich. I removed the carb, cleaned it up good, drained the old fuel and reinstalled with the 37. The Raptor hasn't run this good from day 1. It's got more bottom end power and it RUNS! It hasn't bogged at all, as it has since the very day he got it. After 3 days I've yet to have a problem, so I'm assuming it's resolved. I haven't pulled the plug yet to check whether it's running too rich or not because I haven't picked up a new plug yet.

Anyway - Keith at PES is very helpful and got my sons Raptor running right. My son couldn't be happier, and neither could I.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The link above still works and the sale for the Big Gun full exhaust is going through May. Includes shipping!

I will be having my spare pilot jet bored to the .37mm and give that a shot. Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Another week and still 0 problems. He's riding it every day and it's running like a champ. Before we put this jet in (and it was running horrible), he rode it so little that I thought he'd lost interest in riding altogether. Now it's fixed and he's proven otherwise. He's loving it. :)

·
RaptorPilot
602 Posts
I just installed a #37 jet to RJs 90, sounds pretty good. Ill take him to the track next week and will see hom much improvment it is from the #35 jet. I never really had any running problems only rough starting like the valves needing adjusment.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Can anybody list their dealers name and number that sells these jets and know what they are please. I have called about 10 eton dealers and its like i'm talking some sort of alien language. They don't know what the hell they are doing and I can't get them to get me any jets. Or if anybody has a spare #37 jet they would like to sell please let me know. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts