Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.....I bought Geforce Spacers for my 07 Raptor. They are really nice. 1.75" each side in the rear and 1.08" each side in the front. (I can post pics if anyone is interested) I keep reading how some people are saying that it's a major "No No" to put spacers on the front even though some people report ZERO problems. Is there anyone who actually has had a problem with putting spacers on the front? It seems that alot of people on these forums take one persons opinion on certain topics and then it becomes their own opinion based on what everyone else says. Even though they've had no experience on the topic. So, if anyone who has had any problems with wearing out ball joints and breaking tierods...etc.....as a result of having front spacers......please speak up. I think a lot of people would be interested in hearing from an actual source....not just a bunch of hearsay.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The further away the wheel centerline is from the wheel bearing centerline and a line drawn through your ball joints (steering centerline) the more stress you will put on the components. Whether or not that added stress results in catastrophic failure (as some have reported) depends on how hard you ride. It will cause faster wear and it will change your steering geometry (scrub radius) which you may or may not find acceptable. There are good reasons engineers put wheel centers where they do in relation to steering and bearing components. I don't think you could find anyone with a knowledge of the stresses involved that would recommend that you change the geometry of your front end with spacers. Seems like you want somebody to tell you it's okay or not, but it's your quad so it's up to you. If you're happy with the results let us know, but the fact is, while spacers can be an inexpensive substitute for a wider axle (though not as strong as an aftermarket axle), they won't give the same benefits up front as longer a-arms. It's not hearsay. It's physics. I'm just trying to give you info on why it's not a great idea from an engineering standpoint, not anecdotal evidence; as usual, anecdotal evidence will vary on the topic...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am definitely not saying that spacers are as good as new A-arms. And I know that the design of the spacers change the physics of the front end adding stress. Having a 300 pounder ridie your Raptor adds stress as well, but it doesn't mean that something is going to break. What I'm looking for is someone who has a specific occurance of some sort of failure as a result of using the spacers and what they were doing when they failed. I'm not JOE MXER or a big jumper......I'm just a regular recreational rider look for some examples.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I also have the G-Force spacers and like them alot. As for the fronts, my wheels have an offset difference of about 1 1/4" compared to stock. About the same as taking the stock wheels and mountig them backwards. To correct for this I tightened up the front shocks another click and it seems to be working out great. Not the same as new A-arms but deffinately widened everything out on a budget and no spacers to full with.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I could see 3" spacers causing problems but I see no problem with 1"-1.5" spacers. That hardly changes anything, I have been considering maybe some 1" spacers for the front on mine.... Like you I have not seen anyone screw their ATV with them yet.... I might just purchase some this week.... :woot:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have photos of both if anyone wants to see what they look like.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are Geforce Spacers: 1 1/8" each in the front and 1 3/4" each in the rear

Stock:

Spacer:

Stock:

Spacer:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Would it be stupid to just widen the rear (about the amount that you did)??? -lasher10

I am thinking about just widening the rear with these spacers... mainly just for looks... but also i would like a little widder stance on hills and when im riding highways going around corners at 80mph... ha ha

So let me know what you all think about just widening the rear... or if i have to do the front also...
Its just i already weigh almost 300 lbs so i dont want to be putting anymore stress on the front of my bike than i already am... ha ha

Thanks Plattner

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know plenty of people who have put spacers on the rear only.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just installed the G Force extended rear hubs over the weekend. The ones I have actually replace the factory hubs on the splines.

As far as running 1" wheel adapters on the front, id say youll be ok if your not doing alot of jumping. This is from a strength point of view. I have to agree with the other guy that was talking about scrub radius and stress. You have to weigh the differences and make the decision yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.