Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. So I go and change my oil for the 5th time. I've always done it the exact same way as per the service manual without any problems until this weekend.
I always put a little over 1 qt. in the tank and a little under 1 qt. in the motor, start her up, let her idle to get up to temp and the oil has always been dead on balls in the middle of the high & low mark on the stick, until today!
Now the oil is way over the full mark. I let her sit over night, same level, ride down the street, same level.

I'm on this great forum alot and have read probably all the many posts about guys thinking they have gas in the oil and maybe that is why the reading is so high. But I don't think that could be my case because all i did was start it up and idle. And on my last very long desert ride the bike was running great.

I do know for sure I let the oil drain for a long time and I know for sure I put 2 qts. in so I'm starting to think maybe I should just ride the bitch and not worry about it? What do you guys think??
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I know this is a stupid response...but...did you drain the oil out of the crankcase..AND the Oil tank?? Maybe you forgot to drain one of them this time? If this is the case then you def have over 2 quarts in there...just a thought

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. I'm positive I drained the oil from both places. The old oil was pretty dark and the new oil on the stick is clean so I must have gotten all the old oil out. I let both places drain for a long time just to make sure.
Any idea's are appreciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
aren't you suppose to just pour oil in the tank? (thats wat the manual says anyway)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Unless a rebuild and a dry start....yes.

Oil for the engine ONLY comes from the pump which is supplied through the tank. If they wanted it to be a full wet sump...it would have been. 1/2 quart of oil is not going to reach the crank ..so not sure why everyone insists on placing oil in the cases.

Again...only my opinion.....

M

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly. I always have been going by the Service Manual. The wierd thing is after reading all the many posts over the last few months about guys having problems checking the oil or having the oil level to high I use to think that they just don't know how to do it or they just don't read the manual, until now when the oil leval bug has biten me. Something must be really strange with this bike because I changed the oil the exact same way I always do. :3question:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Don't ride it if it's over the fill lines. You can do serious damage to the motor. Not sure why you are over full mark now, but just drain it down to the mark and ride on. 8)

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Did you check your engine oil pressure. If something isnt working right maybe its keeping more oil in the resevoir. Just a thought :thumbsup:

16.Check:
• engine oil pressure

a. Slightly loosen the oil gallery bolt 1.
b. Start the engine and keep it idling until
engine oil starts to seep from the oil gallery
bolt. If no engine oil comes out after one
minute, turn the engine off so that it will not
seize.
c. Check the engine oil passages, the oil filter
element and the oil pump for damage or
leakage. Refer to “OIL PUMP” in chapter 4.
d. Start the engine after solving the problem(s)
and check the engine oil pressure again.
e. Tighten the oil gallery bolt to specification.

T R . .
Oil gallery bolt
10 Nm (1.0 m · kg, 7.2 ft · lb)

·
Registered
468 Posts
well when mine was way to full it would not start so yeah but i would drain it all out and put it back into your quarts to check the amount and if its right put it back in 1 in case and 1 in tank see wat happens then and if there was extra u know it didnt all come out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.