Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just gone done doing an entire motor rebuild and i went to go fire it up but something with the relay or battery is messed up. All the wiring is correct, but heres the dilemma... I charged the battery all night, and it will crank over, but only 1 "pulse" or turn over at a time then the relay will start clicking. I even tried jumping it with a car and then disconnecting the battery all together and hooking up the jumper cables to the positve and negative wires and it still only goes at one pulse at a time. The bike fired up once so i know it runs but its just something with the starter or relay or the battery. What could it be????

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check all your connections and grounds, starter, battery, relay.
I checked them multiple times and even sanded them down to make sure they are good. Would some PC on the stator cover mess up a good ground? Ill go triple check them again I guess.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your voltage at starter while cranking. If that's good, make sure your motor turns easily by hand with plug out. Then let us know.
Where should I check it and what should I check it with? If thats good take out the plug??? What do you mean turn easily by hand? Sorry :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check your positive cable at the starter motor. Use a voltmeter, or a multimeter set to volts. You wanna check it while cracking and make sure that you are getting at least 12 volts. If that's good, then try removing your spark plug and turn your motor over by hand. To do so, remove the circle plug on the middle of the left side cover. Put a socket on the crankshaft and turn counterclockwise. Should turn over relatively easy with spark plug removed.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check your positive cable at the starter motor. Use a voltmeter, or a multimeter set to volts. You wanna check it while cracking and make sure that you are getting at least 12 volts. If that's good, then try removing your spark plug and turn your motor over by hand. To do so, remove the circle plug on the middle of the left side cover. Put a socket on the crankshaft and turn counterclockwise. Should turn over relatively easy with spark plug removed.
Alright just double checking on turning the motor of my hand! 8)
What will this do though?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just to be sure that the motor isn't binding up. I know you said the motor was just rebuilt, So if its not timed properly, or if valves are not adjusted correctly it would be difficult to turn over.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to be sure that the motor isn't binding up. I know you said the motor was just rebuilt, So if its not timed properly, or if valves are not adjusted correctly it would be difficult to turn over.
No everything is A ok! It even turned over and started before. (after the rebuild) Its just something electrically

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
No everything is A ok! It even turned over and started before. (after the rebuild) Its just something electrically
Does the decompressor work okay, did you try to turn the engine with the starter with the jumper battery hooked directly to the starter, bypassing the relay and wiring including the stock ground cable..........

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the decompressor work okay, did you try to turn the engine with the starter with the jumper battery hooked directly to the starter, bypassing the relay and wiring including the stock ground cable..........
How do i know if the decompressor is working properly? I just disconnected the battery and ran the the jumper cables from the car battery to the positive and negative battery wires (without the raptor battery being hooked up) I also tryed jumping the relay with the screw driver from the two relay terminals.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
How do i know if the decompressor is working properly? I just disconnected the battery and ran the the jumper cables from the car battery to the positive and negative battery wires (without the raptor battery being hooked up) I also tryed jumping the relay with the screw driver from the two relay terminals.
That is not what I asked you to do, hook the jumpers to the starter main lug and to the ground at the base of the starter, avoid all raptor stock wiring, see if the engine turns over................

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is not what I asked you to do, hook the jumpers to the starter main lug and to the ground at the base of the starter, avoid all raptor stock wiring, see if the engine turns over................
Im saying I did that before...
Im sorry, but what do you mean the starter main lug and to ground at the base of starter? That actual starter motor?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Im saying I did that before...
Im sorry, but what do you mean the starter main lug and to ground at the base of starter? That actual starter motor?
The starter base is the frame of the starter, the main lug is the bolt where you attach the positive cable that comes from the starter solenoid.............
This bypasses all electrical wiring, switches and relays...........

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The starter base is the frame of the starter, the main lug is the bolt where you attach the positive cable that comes from the starter solenoid.............
This bypasses all electrical wiring, switches and relays...........
Alright so just take the positive and put it to the lug and the negative to the shell,case, frame whatever you want to call it of the starter motor?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Alright so just take the positive and put it to the lug and the negative to the shell,case, frame whatever you want to call it of the starter motor?
Affirmative, make a good connection..............

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, just got out of the garage...
Well come to find out, all the wiring was good and all the grounds and contacts were clean. (I went over them twice just to double check) I pulled the starter gear off the starter motor gear, and the starter motor will keep spinning with no problems what so ever when i hit the starter button. I removed the spark plug from the motor and the motor turned over a few times before the solenoid buzzed out. So im thinking its a bad battery or my decompression on the cam isnt working properly? I also just read on another thread that something with the valve clearance could be messed up? I just adjusted the valves but could that be a possible problem?? The snow is coming tomorrow and I wanna go riding! :)

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Did you check with booster cables as I suggested..............

1 - 20 of 63 Posts