Raptor Forum banner

antifreeze Question

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Mad Dog 
#1 ·
is there anything wrong with running 100% prestone green antifreeze?

#2 ·
If it's a premix you're fine, but don't run 100% antifreeze in an atv.

Manual calls for a 50/50 premix and I concur. The only time I'd veer away from that ratio is with specialized products like watter wetter.

#4 ·
Do local store chains carry water wetter? autozone, advanced auto, napa ???,..haven't been there in awhile and haven't checked. I know my lazy @ss could drive up and check it out, but gas just went up to 2.86 here, so I thought I would try the cheaper route.. :help: :lol: :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Yes, local the local shops you mentioned should have WW in stock. I would caution you on the use of automotive coolant in your ATV. Make sure it is for an all aluminum system. Some car anti-freeze has silicates that will damage your impeller. You don't want to know how I know this. LOL.

Craig,

#7 ·
That stuff really lower 50 F?

#8 ·
NVMYRC said:
I would caution you on the use of automotive coolant in your ATV. Make sure it is for an all aluminum system. Some car anti-freeze has silicates that will damage your impeller. You don't want to know how I know this. LOL.

Craig,
Thank you sir, I appreciate the heads up! :thumbsup:
By the way-if you thought aluminum reacted bad with silicates, try magnesium. :lol:

#10 ·
Here is the deal with engine ice. It does work but unless you are having a cooling problem it is overkill. The standard coolants for ATV's will work just fine. Without getting into thermodynamics here, if you are having cooling problems PM me and I will give you an inexpensive formula that is cheaper than engine ice and cools better. Oh and by the way I use engine ice in my ATV's but in my RC51 RaceBike engine ice doesn't cut it.

Craig,

#16 ·
pewterpecker said:
I never buy things locally. Between the time, fuel, mileage, taxes, and frustration with traffic, it's hard to beat the convenience of having the boys in brown do the footwork for me.
I don't know about you but it never takes me 3-5 business days to drive to any shop in my state, let alone around town.

If it's something I know I can get locally and I'm not going to get raped on price (molested is acceptable) then I'll buy locally. I'm all for saving money but if the cost is less than 50 bucks then the cost of shipping and me waiting often outweighs the price difference from a local source.

I've spent a lot of time and money in two local shops and now I've got people who I know I can count on for help and advice. In fact a service guy from one of the dealerships ran a race with us this year and we get together every once in a while to ride. Try doing that by mail.

#17 ·
I work off hours so ordering stuff online works out for me. I do deal with a local shop too. They work with me and they are pretty cool guys to boot. I buy some stuff from them, some I just order online. Nothing against the big online people, but I do want to support the local people too. One good thing about a shop with "real live people" is that you can ask them what works, what doesn't and what is has been their general experience with a particular product. Can't do that online.

I think Rocky Mountain has free shipping over $99 so if you have the cash, just order an extra bottle of coolant and whatever junk you normally use/tear up.

#18 ·
damn, i just made a big order from rocky mountain, should have thrown in some coolant with that

lately the only thing i go to the local shops for is oil & filters, and spark plugs. i order everything else online because there only 1 atv shop in my town and they charge up the a-noose, and the yamaha dealer (which hardly has anything besides whole bikes) is about 45 mins away

#19 ·
I haven't found a dealership near my new place and I don't have my bike even in the same state so I'd be ordering any and all parts online now. I can understand and accept that it's a better choice for many, but up until my move it wasn't the best choice for me is all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.