Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't ran mine out of fuel yet as I've only ran about 2 tanks of gas through it so far, but are there any ill effects to the fuel pump or priming the fuel pump etc... if it runs out. I ran the bike down to where the light was staying on this weekend basicly just to see where the bottom was at for future reference. Anybody run their's out yet?
Chad

·
Registered
556 Posts
Not really on a normally aspriated 4 stroke!

Mostly on 2 strokes since the fuel also holds the oil supply..

M

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
It's never good to run any type of pump dry. But as long as it's not an every time-type of thing it shouldn't cause extreme wear.
The fuel light is set up to come on before you are out of fuel.
As for running the tank low: These quads, and therefore fuel tanks, are really too new to have to worry about sediment, but running the tank low will eventually cause the crap that settles to the bottom of the tank to be sucked up which will lead to a clogged injector.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
i ran mine out, only once, and it still runs like a champ. i was riding to the next town over and forgot to gas up before i left yeah the light came on rolling into that town and needless to say i didn't make it back. it ran out about a mile from home, luckily i ran out running up into a friends drive way. but no nothing bad happened to me, but like i said it only happened once.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
i ran for about 7 miles 5th gear so you can go for some time if you just cruze(sp) easy.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
vanillagorilla said:
Having to push it... :confused:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats what I was thinking. The only bad part would be the walk back, thats what was going throught my mind last weekend when I had 8 miles of sand left when my light can on.

We got about 50 miles out of my tank, most of it was 4th 5th gear playing down sand highway and some (not much) dune time, then easing it home for the return trip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was at Sand Mountain last Sunday with a friend who forgot to top off his bike the last time he rode it. Anyway, we are about 3 miles North of the actual mountain, climb a hell, then it dies. he has a new 700 kawi, and hi thinks that it has a mechanical issue. I asked the stupid quesion of my simple friend first, are you out of gas? Turns out the tank makes a great echo chamber when empty!

So off I go, back to the truck and civilization where I balance a 5 gallon can (with a gallon in it) back to my stranded buddy. In the end all was fine, and he won't be able to live it down for quite some time.

The moral of the story is; top the tank off after every ride :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts