Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that lots on here put on nerfs, but is there any reason NOT to do it?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It adds about 5 lbs weight and keeps your feet protected from other riders wheels, it keeps you from putting your feet down so you can't run them over. Maybee when your loading your truck with the quad you won't have as much room for storage in the bed. It keeps you from having hat cool I race look. Really thats the only things I could ever think off besides just personel preferance. Maybe if the rappy didn't have reverse some could argue about how you actually would have to un ass your quad to back up.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i find that they really dont get in the way. i put nerfs on everything i own. ive ran my foot over and hurts like hell...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I might get flamed for this....I have in the past....but to me those things are for looks unless you are racing.
If your feet are falling off you need to learn how to keep them on the pegs.
Maybe its cause I come from a long history on dirtbikes where the pegs are 1/4 as big...and there is no such thing as heel guards and nerfs.
NOW, I am a believer in heel guards. I think the stock ones are butt ugly and I replaced mine with gytr units. I dig my heels into them when I ride...and I also added those peg extension deals that are sharp as crap.
I ride HAARRD and have never had my foot fall off.

To me the bad side to running them is 1: weight., and if your series about going fast the 700 doesnt need help being heavier. 2: they get hung up on things in the woods. 3: they really get in the way of snaking threw things. 4: its more money that I can spend on making my quad faster or more safe in other ways that to ME are more practical.

SO....its all up to you man. I certainly dont flame people that run them...I just have my opinion and I have written why I dont like them.

I did try them....and to be honest, the only reason I did is so my yfz would look more racey. BUT, for the reasons above I took them off and sold them.

Its your choice man...thats all I got to say...some run 'em...some dont!

·
Registered
767 Posts
ChiknNutz said:
I see that lots on here put on nerfs, but is there any reason NOT to do it?
Because I want them. ;)

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Boom,

I don’t think you should say people that slip off the pegs need to learn how to ride. First of all dirtbikes and quads have one distinct difference… Four wheels that sit outside the seat and swing arm. I have seen ppl on dirtbikes come off foot pegs and they are fine, because there feet go back but there is not a tire there to rip them off. I have seen a 300 lb extremely experienced rider be pulled off his bike after he slipped off and the paddles had their way with him. Experienced riders don’t just fall off the pegs, they do jumps so extreme so many times that one time they hit hard and slip off the pegs. I have never slipped off the pegs, but then I don’t push it as hard on jumps as some others do.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
guess you could put a big bubble around the whole quad too...because anything can happen.

My point is, its not the norm to have your feet fall off such massive serated pegs....and if you are consistantly having that problem, you need to learn how to ride better or different! You are going to have much bigger and potentially worst problems with your body then just your feet getting ran over if you find your legs and/or feet outside the quad that far and in a position to be sucked up under the rear tires.

In all my years of riding I have slipped off ONE time...and thats because I went off a jump wrong and I was running with NO heel guards...which I DO NOT recomend. I have NEVER slipped off with heel guards.

They are a good idea for racing and MX where you are pushing the limits constantly and in the air a lot. It also saves you from getting wheel locked with other racers. I am no denying there is a need for them out there.....there certainly is...but I see SOOO many people thinking they HAVE to have them and they are just trail riders or weekend ORV park riders that never or barely leave the ground. Its a waste of time, money, and weight to have them on there for 85% of riders.....especially on raptors!

"Experienced riders don’t just fall off the pegs, they do jumps so extreme so many times that one time they hit hard and slip off the pegs.".....exactly my point....its not the norm, or really anything that most raptor riders have to worry about.

Like I said...personal preference. I am sure some think hand guards are a must too.

I say a good 85-90% of people get them for looks more than anything. (which is fine)

·
Registered
120 Posts
The only reason not to do it is if you have your quad in the back of the truck...it makes it harder to fill the gaps around the quad with stuff you forgot before you loaded your quad :p I have them on mine...I did slip off the pegs once since i have had them. The way i see it; i spent 110 bucks to save an assload of ER bills for a possible broken leg etc. :thumbsup:

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
733 Posts
I put them on the mad cow only because I have a 3 year old that thinks he's Travis Pastrana........and you cant tell him any different.

I think it gives some riders a sense of security whether it be a false one or not. I do believe though if the feet come off the pegs it will save you. but then again if your feet blow off your probably doing something you shouldnt be or riding well above you ability.

Mike

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Shredder770 said:
I put them on the mad cow only because I have a 3 year old that thinks he's Travis Pastrana........and you cant tell him any different.

I think it gives some riders a sense of security whether it be a false one or not. I do believe though if the feet come off the pegs it will save you. but then again if your feet blow off your probably doing something you shouldnt be or riding well above you ability.

Mike
I completely agree Mike! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I love my nerfs. I would honestly feel unsafe with out them. I am the first to admit that I am not the best out there. But all it would take is one slip and WHAM! I do a lot of crazy fast trail riding, some ruff stuff. I would like to see some one do it and not have ther foot slip off once.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
HappyHour said:
I love my nerfs. I would honestly feel unsafe with out them. I am the first to admit that I am not the best out there. But all it would take is one slip and WHAM! I do a lot of crazy fast trail riding, some ruff stuff. I would like to see some one do it and not have ther foot slip off once.
....OK :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
HappyHour said:
Boom is going to show me how it's done! I know for me as a somewhat beginner, my feet jump off the pegs once in a while, hell major parts of my body try and jump of the whole damn bike sometimes! LOL

I wouldnt show you up, I would give you a pointer here or there and help ya out....and plus, this is the internet and you are probably FAR away from me anyway.

BUT, I can tell you that in my many years on machines I have learned to stick with the pegs/heel guards. Like I said, I slipped off once, and that was because I took the heel guards off my yfz and hit a jump all weird. Came off sideways shooting out of a corner.

LOOK...like I said, this is a personal preference thing. I do strongly believe though that peopel buy them mostly for looks. I know i did on my yfz. I then quickly found out they were a pain in the butt for the type of riding I do, and were also useless to me, as I dont fall off. No reason lugging around more weight and having those things stick out and get cought up on everything in the woods.
If you feel more secure with them, then more power to ya. If your falling off the pegs then these will probably save your ass.
This guy was just wondering why NOT get them...and I answered very honestly with my opinion.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had nerfs on one quad (400EX) and I didn't care for them. If you ever get into trouble in a technical spot on the trail (say a rutted hillside) and you have to put your foot out to keep you and your quad from going over.............your screwed! :help:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Nerfs are optional. I use them, some don't. If you don't want nerfs that's fine but I would highly recommend using heel guards at a minimum.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Or you could just not ride at all...

Point is experienced riders fall off and people that need to learn how to ride also fall off the pegs. Most people are not competitive drag racers and the couple of pounds of nerfs will not affect the overall riding experience, but will save on a lot of pain and doctor bills.

I would recommend them to anyone that does MX, jumping in the dunes, or just likes to go big off jumps. If all you’re doing is shooting fireroads, dunes, and hills at high speeds or crawling around in technical terrain then you will likely never have a problem with staying on the pegs.

On topic though. The only reason I see not to use them is the couple of pounds of weight and they can get hung up on rocks and stuff. There is also nerfs that have an aluminum bottom, that way you can slide over obstacles (PRM makes some).

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Oh Boom, and we were just starting to agree on things... ;)

ATV pegs are just as dull and longer, not really wider than on a full size bike. Pegs are more involved in the maneuvering and riding of a bike than an atv. Jumping is more similar between the two, but now you have to worry about getting 4 tires to land right instead of 2 and the extra axis can easily throw you off balance.

As for this "seasoned rider" bit, sure they can be seen as a safety tool for beginners but also for other reasons and riders of all levels. As Air said on the first reply nerf bars are an insurance policy, saving even experienced riders from that one time when things go inexpicably wrong. To say such an event has not happened to you, or that at least that you have not had one or two scares, says maybe you're either not riding enough, or not pushing yourself or the machine.

Nerfs work well in the woods, bouncing off obstacles instead of whacking you from underneath or jarring your rear suspension from the side. As for getting hung up: Half of that is not compensating for the extra width when maneuvering, and the rest is the fact that they're wide enough to still work with extended suspension. There are nerfs out there that are skinnier than others.

Maxx has a great point about getting your feet down, I've run into this problem before and wouldnt run them if that was going to be a common thing. They're also not needed in most sand dunes, on hill shooters, or for any type of drag racing.

You're right a lot buy them with big bumpers and grab bars to make the atv look cool, but they'yre doing no harm and it's still insurance for as cheap as 100 bucks. The expensive ones, 200-275, usually come with built in pegs which will make it even less likely to need the nerf bar. Good pegs alone cost 200+, so why not get the nerfs too for the same price?

I've got no gripes with those who don't run them, when it all shakes out it's personal preference. There are legitimate reasons not to, but using them does not necessarily make one an absent-minded beginner or vain.

But the real reason NOT to run them...(drumroll)...

-----------Boom will call you a sissy girl! :lol:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Wow I would have never thought nerfs would be such a controversial subject. :lol:

1 - 20 of 116 Posts