Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about changing the color of my front grill (the silver colored one on the front of my white 700) and make the tank cover match. It seems to me that there is special paint for plastic. I know the front one is painted because I've scratched it through to the black underneath. I have all the equipment to spray however I don't want to do something stupid that I might regret later.

-Doug

·
Registered
596 Posts
i was talkin to a guy on my route who does airbrushin. I asked him if its possible to do a custom paint on the plastic. He told me yes and the trick is you have to sand the plastic down a little bit to make it rough. almost the same as when they repaint a car. ive seen some pics of his work and cant say i didnt like the quality.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well sanding seems logical, but I think there might be special type of automotive paint that allows for some flexability. Auto paint is made to stick to metal...well, to the primer anyway. So maybe there's a special substrate that is required. When I get a chance I'm going to go over to the body supply place and ask there too. A couple of the counter guys know something about paints, but they basically expect the customer to already know what they want. I don't really expect much help from them hence my posting here.

I just want to do a solid metalic color, maybe a deep orange for the fun of it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
if u get your paint at a auto body shop tell them that u need a flex agent added to yhe mix and yes u will need to sand it just a little bit. steel wool works great for this since it doesnt dig into the plastic,it just takes off the shine and makes for better adhesion

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm...sounds like I just got me a project! Flex agent. Thanks for that piece.

Should I go for single stage or base coat / clear coat? I might try to stay away from the clear coat and see what they have in single stage. I don't really think wet sanding then buffing will be practical given the complexity of the nose piece.

Maybe I'll scour Ebay for someone selling their factory nose piece so I can have my original in case it all goes south... So any of you that may have one... let me know if you want to part with it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
This is how mine turned out. They used a flex agent and they used clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
pretty sure they make a special automotive type of primer that is made for plastic.. im sure it shouldnt be too hard to find since 99% of cars are plastic anymore

·
Registered
973 Posts
One thing you can use is called bulldog. Its a plastic prep/ primer. Just sand the plastic, apply bulldog and then paint it. As stated about I would add a flex agent to the paint. I painted my whole banshee and it pretty good. Its not a raptor but here is how my shee turned out...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TEXAS700 said:
This is how mine turned out. They used a flex agent and they used clear.
That's what I'm talkin about! Nice color. You had it done by a pro painter? I'm going to look into that too.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
so compared to new plastics what kinda price would painting cost? i just want to change my hood, dash/heyholder and tank cover to black, with ebay and maier website about 120ish i think it was for those 3, oh and the underneath tail light plastic, not sure on that one, painting might save me a grip since one of my best friends dad owns a body shop, wow, might be fun to get even more creative then!

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
On my nose piece and tank cover I used a 3 stage BC/CC silver base with a cobalt blue mid coat followed up with a Urethane clear. It was no problem to remove the dust nibs & buff. With the Dupont clear I could almost hand rub it with 3M Finessit II compound. I also used Dupont plastic prep cleaner and their Plastic Adhesion promoter. I wet sanded the grill with and tank cover with 600 grit wet/dry paper and final washed it, sealed it with dupont 2 part sealer then painted. I used a flex additive in my front and rear fenders which I painted in black Dupont Imron polyurethane. It's holding up well other than a few little rock chips which I touch up ocasionally. It's not at all hard to do if you have done any body & paint work before.

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Yeah, I'd suggest doing a base then clear. on the hood of my rappy black, I did 4 coats base. and 7 coats clear... sounds like a lot but, when riding through brush, It gets nicks and scratches, but havnet' scratched through the paint yet! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RaptorRandy27 said:
On my nose piece and tank cover I used a 3 stage BC/CC silver base with a cobalt blue mid coat followed up with a Urethane clear. It was no problem to remove the dust nibs & buff. With the Dupont clear I could almost hand rub it with 3M Finessit II compound. I also used Dupont plastic prep cleaner and their Plastic Adhesion promoter. I wet sanded the grill with and tank cover with 600 grit wet/dry paper and final washed it, sealed it with dupont 2 part sealer then painted. I used a flex additive in my front and rear fenders which I painted in black Dupont Imron polyurethane. It's holding up well other than a few little rock chips which I touch up ocasionally. It's not at all hard to do if you have done any body & paint work before.
Thanks a bunch! Sounds like a whole pile of supplies I'll have to pick up. I've used the Dupont Imron before, but it's been a while. I have a spray booth so dust should be at a minimum.

As for buying the Maier plastics.... I got a black tank cover for the heck of it to see what the fit/quality was like. It sucks. Totally. It's "close" to the factory ones but not close enough for me. So buying the nose piece is out of the question. I simply think it will look like crap if it's anything like the simple tank cover. Thing is I really like the way the factory nose piece looks and would never think of changing the shape of it so I guess painting is the only option.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts