Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they make them for street bikes. Some have built in TRE (timing retard eliminator) which gives you better low end response in lower gears. Don't know if this would apply to the Raptor or not. Anyway, just think it would be nice to know what gear you are in sometimes. This bike has so much torque all over that for me, it's easy to forget which gear you are in. I've also found that when winding it out up through 5th, I occassionally go to kick it up again only to find out I'm already as high as I can go! lol

thanks!
MK

This is basically what I'm after:

http://www.gear-indicator.com/
http://www.gi-pro.net/

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeremy said:
I'd love to have one of those.

Why couldn't one of those work for the Raptor?

>_>
I'm not sure. I guess it all depends on how it determines what gear you are in and the wiring harness to connect it. Maybe I'll fire off and email to those two companies and see if they have anything for the Rap.

MK

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have one on my R6, definatly comes in handy alot. That would be a very cool thing to have on our Raptors. 8)

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I've been riding dirt bikes, trikes, and atvs for close to 20 years now. I wouldn't know what to do with that thing on my dash. I'm still acclimating to the thought of a tach, so that when TT fixes the vapor for good I'll be convinced enough to buy it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tiggy,

I can't see any reason for one not to work,

I just installed one on my friends R6 (a generic one that I had to wire in vs a plugin kit)

It picks up pulses from the speed sender (we have one in our transmission) and compares them to a RPM signal (the unit I used could pickup the primary side of the ignition coil or a tach pulse from the ecu) from these two pieces of info it can figure out what gear you're in.

Give it +12 V, ground and connect it to the neutral switch.

I actually have one here that I was going to install on my bike, as I too often find myself going for a 6th gear when out in the desert running along at 100 + km/h Just haven't had a chance to find a diagram and take a few hours to do it.

If you have a decent wiring diagram post it up and I'll show you where the connections need to be made.

Alf.
06 Raptor 700

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
mkii_turbo said:
Tiggy,

I just installed one on my friends R6 (a generic one that I had to wire in vs a plugin kit)

It picks up pulses from the speed sender (we have one in our transmission) and compares them to a RPM signal (the unit I used could pickup the primary side of the ignition coil or a tach pulse from the ecu) from these two pieces of info it can figure out what gear you're in.

I actually have one here that I was going to install on my bike, as I too often find myself going for a 6th gear when out in the desert running along at 100 + km/h Just haven't had a chance to find a diagram and take a few hours to do it.

If you have a decent wiring diagram post it up and I'll show you where the connections need to be made.

Alf.
06 Raptor 700
MKii turbo keep us posted as its sounds very handy.
Your not from australia are you?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mkii_turbo said:
Tiggy,

Alf.
06 Raptor 700
I'm an electrical engineer, the wiring wouldn't be a problem. I don't have a schematic of the 700, but never looked for one either. I was just curious if there was one readily available.

MK

·
Registered
9 Posts
OZRaptor,

Nope, I'm a Canadian living in the middle east (Qatar to be exact). Hoping to venture down to Australia and a New Zealand sometime in the next year or so to visit a few buddies who moved from here.

Anyone know if the raptor 700 service manual has an decent wiring diagram? I don't have a copy of it.

Alf.

[/quote]
MKii turbo keep us posted as its sounds very handy.
Your not from australia are you?
[/quote]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok guys,

Just figured out the connections:

Speed Sensor - White wire (Easiest to pick this up in the three wires heading from the speed sender to the ECU)

Neutral Switch - Light Green (Connect to this one on the wiring harness going to the indicator panel (Neutral/temp/reverse lights))

Ignition/Tacho Pulse - Orange wire heading to the ignition coil (Check to see if your gear display unit will accept the pulse from the coil, my unit from datatool.co.uk will)

+12 Volts to power the unit - Brown wire heading to the indicator panel gives you +12V switched with the key and its fused.

Ground - Anywhere you please on the frame or you can pick it up on the Black wire heading from the Start Switch on the bars.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to installing mine next week, starting to rebuild a crashed R6 this Saturday.

If anyone needs any more details just drop me a line.

Alf.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This will go together with MKii post. This is from one company, Acumen.

Marcel,

Thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately, Acumen Electronics only manufactures
motorcycle harnesses. The gear indicator can still be installed on your
vehicle if it has a motorcycle engine and an electronic speedo/tacho, but
would have to soldered into your wiring harness. I am attaching additional
information regarding Acumen digital gear indicators. If you have additional
questions, our telephone number is toll free: 888-922-9269.

Regards,

Patrick

Acumen DG8 Universal Gear Indicators

Thanks for your interest in Acumen DG8 Gear Indicators.

Acumen make plug-in harnesses for many popular bikes, mainly sportbikes, but
the universal version is also easily fitted to most bikes, and wiring
instructions for most popular applications can be found on Acumen's website
here http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk/shop/products.php?category=126.
The product can be viewed and ordered at
http://www.riderstation.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=DG8.

Installation
All you have to do is connect the 5 wires from the DG8 display assembly.
Acumen strongly recommend that connections are soldered to avoid problems
with corrosion etc. The wires you need to connect to are Power, Ground,
Neutral, Speedo Pulse, Tach Pulse. Then you put it through a simple
programming process, so it learns the gears for your bike.

If your bike is not listed on Acumen's List
Most of the bikes shown are from the UK, so first check to see if your bike
is known as something different in the UK.
Also most bikes are similar year to year - say a 2003 CBR600 tacho feed wire
will likely be the same color as previous years. You should check colors
this with your owners manual.
If your bike, or a similar one is not on the Acumen's list - you may still
be able to install the DG8 by tracking down the wires listed above.

Your Speedo & Tacho
The DG8 works by analyzing the pulses that go to an electronic speedo and
tacho. This means gauges that DO NOT have cable drive.
For the last 10 years most bikes have had electronic gauges, but there are
some exceptions. If you have an electronic tacho, but a cable drive speedo,
you can fit the DG8 using the Speedo upgrade kit, which installs a small
sensor on the front wheel to generate electronic pulses. You can find it
here http://www.riderstation.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=DG8C

Bikes not suitable for the DG8
As a general rule the DG8 works well on most recent motorcycles, but if your
bike does not have electronic speedo and tacho as above, you could have
major problems installing and programming it - this is because older bikes
have more noisy electrics which interfere with the electronics of the DG8.
For this reason, you could have problems when using High Performance coils.

Manufacturer's Warranty
The DG8 works by reading the signals that go to the speedo and tacho of your
bike, and does not interfere with your bike's electronics - so it should
never cause any issues with your OEM Warranty. Quite reasonably,
manufacturers will not cover a bike if you have installed something that
makes the bike break down - but this will not occur if you install it
correctly.
Remember wiring info provided on the Acumen site is correct as far as they
can tell, and you should check if in doubt.
In our experience, the only times when people have had problems have been
when they have connected it wrongly or not soldered wires!

ABS Brakes
Due to the extreme sensitivity of ABS Brake systems, we do not recommend
installing the Acumen Universal Gear Indicator with motorcycles fitted with
ABS brakes.

If you have any other questions, please contact us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Anybody know if they make an LED gear indicator? <--- Got it working

Tiggy/Guys

Just installed the Datatool Digi indicator on my raptor tonight (Got pissed off with work and decieded to come home a bit early :)

Using the wiring colours that I posted it works fine, I picked up my ground off the radiator mounting bolt with a ring terminal instead of digging in the harness.

Seems to work fine, but it ocassionally gets confused between 4th and 5th gear when moving along at mid throttle. I'm going to investigate this a little more, not sure if its a related to using the ground (triggered side of the ignition coil) as most sport bikes use a tachometer pulse going to the cluster or something to do with the speed sender signal.

But so far so good.

Alf.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder if the ratio between 4 and 5 is pretty close. So when the bike is seeing a different load (ie, uphill etc) in 4th, vs 5th and vice versa, it throws it off. I'm sure it's got something to do with that. All the computer does is compare speed vs. rpm so if the speed stays the same and rpm drops, it's gets confused.

MK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys,

No pics yet but I was just talking to the manufacturer and I think I've found my problem.

Apparently the tachometer signal taken from the primary side (12 volt side) of the ignition coil may not be clean enough (probably due to the inductance in the coil or the CDI box giving multiple sparks at different rpms/loads) for the gear indicator to figure out RPM. Apparently the trick is try and connect to the crank position sensor.

I'll give that a whirl in a few days and let everyone know, along with some pics.

Been raining like crazy for the past couple of days, not very desert like at all :)

Alf.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mkii_turbo said:
Guys,

No pics yet but I was just talking to the manufacturer and I think I've found my problem.

Apparently the tachometer signal taken from the primary side (12 volt side) of the ignition coil may not be clean enough (probably due to the inductance in the coil or the CDI box giving multiple sparks at different rpms/loads) for the gear indicator to figure out RPM. Apparently the trick is try and connect to the crank position sensor.

I'll give that a whirl in a few days and let everyone know, along with some pics.

Been raining like crazy for the past couple of days, not very desert like at all :)

Alf.
Hopefully the input impedance on the gear indicator is high enough that it won't affect the CPS. You might need to put a signal isolator in there. I wonder why Trailtech doesn't incorporate the logic into their Vapor computer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tiggy,

You are correct on that, apparently its a high impedance input according to datatool in the UK. I'll check it with the DMM before I hook it up and keep an eye out for ill effects.

Trying to get the R6 I'm rebuilding ready for a track day on the weekend, so we'll see what I can get done.

Alf

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good work mate.Keep us posted.I sure could use one of these indicators on my rappy :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts