Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, second post here but while I wait on parts to arrive to start tearing into my new 660 and hopefully get it running. I’ve been on here reading and researching everything I can. I’ve gotten the impression that they’re super temperamental and need a lot of modification to get to a point where it’s a good running nice ride. Am I wrong or is it just that problems just get posted more than praise?

So i guess if you have a bad ass 660 that you’re stoked to have, let’s hear all about what’s all’s done to it and how great it is.

thanks

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
You are right that problems are posted more than praise.
660's are excellent machines.
Read here and learn how to set the oem carburetors(don't waste time with china junk carbs).
Consider they are now 15-20 years old, so some maintenance is to be expected.
I have owned them, worked on quite a few over the years, and always been impressed with how good they are, and how much they wake up with no air box lid and the carbs set right.
I have a 700 now because I was fortunate to be able to get one, and enjoy the fuel injection. But, I'de have no problem having another 660.
The 660, like some of the 700's, don't have remote resivoir front shocks, and definately benefit from the upgrade.
And, for what it's worth, every 660 that I have set the carbs on starts right up, with zero throttle, and only needs choked in cool to cold weather, just like a fuel injected machine.
Give it a minute or 2 to warm up, and good to go.
They are Not tempermental, are very dependable, easy to work on, and need very little to run great.
They join the Warrior, Blaster, and Banshee as another home run from Yamaha, and an iconic machine that raised the bar again in it's day, and it can still hang today.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 03 is completely stock. I have not had any problems with it. It has all the power that I need for trail riding. It seems when people start modifying them, that is when the problems start. Yea, the suspension can be better. But I can live with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, this is what I was hoping to hear! Once I get my bike running it will only be used for trail riding and general screwing around maybe race a buddy here and there but that’s about it. I really hope I’m going to love this thing!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Even with all the modifications and troubleshooting that comes along with it, I can say I'm extremely happy with my 2002 raptor. It makes power in all the best ways, and is such a joy to ride. There isn't another quad on the planet that is as versatile as the raptor, nor as fun in my opinion. I've had a few wheeelers over the years, and the raptor is BY FAR my favorite. You will love it, maybe a little too much.

Even if you do no other mods, I'd STRONGLY encourage at least getting a slip on pipe. HMF makes a deep aggressive sounding pipe. All you need is one size larger mains, and you're golden.

Reactions: Fordhearter

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could see my self adding a slip on and modding the air box. I could also envision piggy back shocks in front and flipping the rear link if I felt it was needed. First off I just want to get it started but it’s sat in a warehouse for 10+ Years so I jneed to rebuild the carb and hopefully get it started... then throw on a new set of rubber and take it for a rip (fingers crossed). After that if I really like it knowing my self the sky is the limit as far as the possibility of mods goes lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ that looks really nice!

I got mine started yesterday for the first time after pulling maintenance on it. Took it around the block and it runs great, got on it in second shifted to third and the front end came up! Can’t believe how hard it pulls! Going to bleed the brakes this evening and I got some new quad king holeshot knockoffs on the way so I’ll throw them on and then head for the trails this weekend. I’m stoked! I’ll post again after giving it a proper run and see if I’m “completely happy” with it or not.

·
Master of the Electron
15,442 Posts
Once I fixed all the crap left over from the previous owner and made a few mods to make it mine I have been 100% satisfied with it for about 13 years now.

Remember, people come to forums for help with problems, not to randomly say how perfect their machine is... 95% of what you see here is a guy needing assistance - common for virtually ANY brand's forum.

What I find here is a common love of these quads, ONCE we've got past the previous owner's negligence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2003 660, if you couldn't tell by the handle. Anyway I've had it for quite a few years, I am the second owner. When I bought it I was looking for a 400ex with reverse to replace my 1987 250x, but I got a way better deal on the raptor. The engine is completely stock right down to the factory air box lid. I did have to do the one way bearing upgrade for the starter, I got one from L&L Extreme. As for the chassis I put an anti vibe steering stem in it with better handlebars, parking brake delete with a better clutch perch, it is -1 on the front sprocket and +2 on the back because I do a lot of low speed trail riding, especially now with the kids. A few years back I had to put a radiator in it because I stick went through the stock one, it didn't leak but I didn't want to chance it. Other than that is has been a great machine. Sits all winter, starts up in the spring just like I parked it yesterday.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Looks to be in great shape.
Nice to see another 660 kept alive.
That blue is iconic too.
Team Yamaha blue on the 660, when it was new and ground breaking(I remember them brand new in my early 20's, with a few friends having them in various colors, including that blue), and the only thing that really came along since to edge it out, is the 700, lol.
That's a good looking survivor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve gotta say I’m pretty happy with mine after getting it out on some trails this weekend. Had a ton of fun and the raptor was a blast to ride. Made me wonder if I need to upgrade the front shocks or not. Compared to a buddy of mines yfz450 the ride on the raptor was a lot smoother. I wouldn’t want my bike to ride like his. Can the 450 shocks be set up to be plush?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Which preload notch are you currently on with your pogos?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pogos are set right in the middle on the preload adjuster. I’m not saying they’re great, just that they felt better than my buddies yfz450 that I was riding with. Not sure how the 450 was set up or what condition the shocks were in, but it was way too stiff for my liking. So I guess my question was more about yfz shocks and if they can be better adjusted for a plush ride on the trails.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Since the yfz shocks have preload, compression, and rebound, and your current pogos are set up normal, then you should be able to achieve that plush ride with YFZs. There are some very minor grinds to do for clearance, but it's super simple and there's a great video on how to do it. If you're interested, look up Jogaca. He likely has some that he will custom rebuild to fit your exact preferences. I got mine like 6 months ago and they are amazing.

Reactions: 4stroker4life
1 - 17 of 17 Posts