Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
You will need top end gaskets for sure, I would not reuse them. I have reused the cometic side cover gaskets with no problems but all the stock style gaskets usually come off in many pieces. I would just get a full gasket set for $64 or you will be chasing oil leaks for a long time...

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I have seen RTV used for everything but it didn't hold head Gaskets very well. It was also in a $100 3 wheeler lol. Seems like it would be hard to hold a head gasket with no gasket??? is it a low compression motor? I think you coud get by with out the side covers fine but head gasket would suck to remove the head to find out it didn't work.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I've only used the liquid stuff for putting both case halves back together. I don't think they make gaskets for that though.

IMO for top end or any other covers, just do it right the first time and get gaskets!!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
^ What he said and if you separate the Head gasket you can get 2 gaskets out of 1. You can also reuse the side cover and flywheel cover gaskets if your careful and get Cometic gaskets. The cases just us a sealant of some kind. I use yamabond 5 but I don't think its what your supposed to use but I have sealed up 4 engines with it with no leaks.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
A buddy of ours used to be a mechanic for Nascar racing and they used Permatex' "The Right Stuff" to mount engine heads. I've never tried it myself but having seen this stuff in action several times for other crazy stuff, I wouldn't be scared to try it.

Then again a full top end gasket kit for a Raptor is cheap enough that I wouldn't :)

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Theres a head gasket on there. The goop you see is the valve cover and there is no gasket for that that is how you are supposed to do it. but you can see the head gasket sticking out between the head and cylinder....
Yep, there is a head gasket there, you can see the ring, and like dog said, there is no gasket for the valve cover, the excess is just Yamabond or whatever liquid gasket the previous owner chose to use.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Use gaskets...not silicone or whatever..

2 bikes i've had over time,people before me have used silicone,and that shit is a bitch to clean up when you do have to take it apart.

Plus you run the chance of some getting inside the motor and clogging up screens,oil pump,etc...

Never been fun fixing something up people have gone nuts with silicone on...

Gaskets are cheap...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts