Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Doxoracing graphics kit, and i'm starting off with the seat cover. I took my stock cover off, cleaned it up and removed all the staples.

Now I got the new one fitted into the front area of the seat cover, and I was going to start stapling and work my way back. BUT, the staples aren't even going into the plastic. I'm actually using a heavy duty stapler from Home Depot, I would have thought it would be TOO strong, but I guess not.

Any tips out there for me? :help:

·
Registered
783 Posts
You will probably need a pneumatic nail / staple gun to get her done. That plastic is thick. Its really an art doing that kind of stuff. Personally I'd save all the trouble and take it to an upholstury shop and pay them $10 to do it... If you do decide to do it yourself here is the best I can oofer you....

Heat up the cover. Its alot more stretchable an dplyable when shes warm. You will start at one end and work in one direction as you go. You will use alot of "set" staples to help hold things in place while your working in other areas and then you remove them as you go and replace them with the finish staples. Have another set of hands to help hold and stretch. Good luck and take your time, it will pay off on the finish product......

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just thinking about that too, bringing it to a shop to have them install it... i dont have an air-stapler so I might as well just spend the $10 or $20 to have someone do it right.

Thanks! Now I just have to find a local shop!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I tried one time and there was no way it was going with the tools I had so I found this small time mom and pop upholstry place that did it for $10. Ive used them a few times now and its worth it so I dont have to have the headache.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Dan660R said:
I was just thinking about that too, bringing it to a shop to have them install it... i dont have an air-stapler so I might as well just spend the $10 or $20 to have someone do it right.

Thanks! Now I just have to find a local shop!
Like POUNDSAND said:thumbsup:
yes if you don't have access to a pneumatic staple gun and a heat gun your best bet it to have a upholstery shop do it for you

·
Registered
899 Posts
I’ve done several dirtbikes with a regular staple gun and stainless staples but I have never encountered a seat like the raptor has in my life……I had to take mine in. The deep groves running sides really suck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the going rate around here is $50~$65 to install this cover. :fruity:

I'm going to try it myself, my friend says he has an electric staple gun, hopefully that works. I have a heat gun and also a propane tank with an attachment on top to heat up a room, just gotta be careful with that stuff.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thats insane man as it shouldnt take a trained professional upholstury person more then about 10 minutes to do it. I watched my friend of mine do it in about that and she was a girl... :grin_nod: We werent in a real hurry doing it either..... :lol:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure they are milking it to get some extra cash... the guy that saw it yesterday was making a big deal "Oh I gotta get some heat on it, and stretch it the right way... dont want to hurt this area with too much heat.." I knew some dumb price was coming out of his mouth, and guess what, it did!

·
Registered
126 Posts
being an upholstery shop owner, I can tell you a good upholsterer will take the time to ensure that all graphix on the cover line up perfectly where they are suppose to. MAKE SURE THEY USE STAINLESS STAPLES!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a shop here on the Denver area do it, it was $45. It was a graphic seat cover that had to match and after spending 3 hours trying it myself with no success, it was a bargain. In my case, the cover wasn't cut perfect and took some work to get it to come out correctly.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just did mine...tried staples and didnt get far...did want to pay a shop to do it so I did something different...I went to ACE hardware and bought some contact cement....works perfect and looks cleaner underneath...for those that will try it this way remember to coat the seat plastic and cover seperately...allow the glue to dry for about 10-15 min and then fuse both together...sets up real nice...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I ended up getting my hands on an air-stapler, and i'm going to try it out with my friend who has done seat covers before. He's just never seen plastic on the bottom of a seat like the Raptor, haha... Hopefully it comes out ok.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Change of plans, I have been trying to get in touch with this local guy that does upholstery for a week, he's only there on Saturdays. So I called him and he said it'll be about $60 - $160 depending on the condition of the foam, but stop by and he'll take a look. So I went anyways, and he looks at the seat and seat cover and says "Oh I thought you needed me to make a seat cover! Give me $10 and come get it next Saturday. I do bigger ones than this all the time for the snowmobile guys." SWEET!!!!! I think it helped that he knew my father-in-law :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.