Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Polaris Sportsman, and am picking up a Raptor 700 FI on Wednesday.

A friend who has a Polaris Sportsman like mine says that I won't like the raptor for trail riding because it will ride really rough. He says I will want to sell it quickly.

I know it won't ride las soft as an IRS quad, but is it really that much rougher over the bumps?

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I've ridden my 700 on some pretty gnarly trails full of tree roots, tight turns, downed trees and such - for hours - and not come back sore. That's my experience, though.
I've yet to read any reviews of the 700 that even mention rough rides. Most reviews are quite to the contrary. The Raptor 700 just might be one of the better riding ones out there.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
no offense but I don't know what your friend is smoking. This quad is awesome on the trails! Not that its anything to get excited over but Dirwheels latest issues is on the 07 SE, and they love it! The suspension on this is great for any kind of terrain

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The only thing it might hurt a little is rear ground clearance. Its pretty low compared to some things especially a Utility quad or something with IRS or something with both. You can help by getting some 22" rear tires and go 23" in the front.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A friend who has a Polaris Sportsman like mine says that I won't like the raptor for trail riding because it will ride really rough. He says I will want to sell it quickly.

What your friend means is he's gonna hate seeing you 2 miles ahead of him! I have a sportman 700 and its fun to to get off the trails with, but my buddy has a 400 ex that will go anywhere and i do mean anywhere that my sportsman will go. (except in the dep ass mud). Rider ability is 90% of it. BTW, my raptor seat is pretty cushy, not quite as old manish as the polaris but plenty comfy.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
jefffoxsr said:
I have a Polaris Sportsman, and am picking up a Raptor 700 FI on Wednesday.

I know it won't ride las soft as an IRS quad, but is it really that much rougher over the bumps?

Thanks for the comments.

the raptor rides smooth as fuck, especially if you adjust the suspension to your taste, the polaris is kinda like driving a big ass 79 caddy coupe de ville, big and heavy so you can't feel the bumps much, kinda float over them, the raptor is like jumping into a sporty car, say like a corvette, responsive & comfy and i'm pretty sure you like a sporty ride right? my buddy has a 500 sportsman 4x4 and he rode my rappy this past weekend and now he's considering buying one, he couldn't believe the handleing. so yeah i know you'll love it

·
Registered
153 Posts
I love the 700, no question.. However, if you come from a machine such as a sportsman, it is going to ride different. I ride mountain trails here in CO that have a lot of larger rocks, plenty of bumps, ect and although the 700 is a great machine to ride, you will feel more bumps and it will require more rider involvment than a sportsman type machine. For a solid axle, sport machine, you can't find a much nicer ride!!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
armety said:
I love the 700, no question.. However, if you come from a machine such as a sportsman, it is going to ride different. I ride mountain trails here in CO that have a lot of larger rocks, plenty of bumps, ect and although the 700 is a great machine to ride, you will feel more bumps and it will require more rider involvment than a sportsman type machine. For a solid axle, sport machine, you can't find a much nicer ride!!
what part of CO are you at Armety? I'm from CO springs before I came in the military

·
Registered
153 Posts
I live in Parker, CO! I have ridden by Buena Vista and ride Rampart and Walden a lot!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have an 03 grizzly 660 and an 06 700 it is a completly different ride my grizzly will haul ass over NASTY trails where the rappy being a solid
rear seems to kick me around more but for a sport it is damn comfy and faster. You can't really throw the grizz around much it weighs over 600 pounds, if you come to a shitty spot at any speed you throw all your weight, lean and hold on it is going to go where it wants, where the rappy you can "throw" alot better cause of the weight. they have different purposes. I still have the stock sids on my grizz they are
tore up something fierce, I slide it over boulders, logs, and anything that gets in my way without fear-can't say the same for the rappy I bent my stock swing arm skid into the chain and rotor within 30 minutes on the first ride!!! I almost always ride the rappy, the only time I ride the grizz is if it is going to be super nasty, ruts and goo. But still gimmie a ROUGH, twisty trail even a dry one and I can keep up with even the caziest people on my grizz.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
armety said:
I live in Parker, CO! I have ridden by Buena Vista and ride Rampart and Walden a lot!!
I go on vacation to the Springs to visit my parents in July. What do I need on my rappy to ride it in state? All I have right now is a Green sticker for Idaho.

·
Registered
153 Posts
As long as you have a current ohv sticker, from any state, you are good to go! remember your spark arrestor, most areas here require it and they check a lot at the popular areas

·
Registered
153 Posts
As a rule, I try not to give answers unless I know for sure!! Enjoy yourself when you come home to CO and thanks for being a member of the military!!!

Out-of-state OHVs
Out-of-state residents who bring OHVs into Colorado must have an OHV registration from the state they reside in, or, if your state does not have a yearly OHV registration program, you must purchase a Colorado Non-Resident OHV permit which is valid from the date of purchase through the following March 31. These permits can be purchased anywhere you get your hunting/fishing licenses in Colorado or you can order one online at the Colorado State Parks E-Store.
http://parks.state.co.us/OHVsandSnowmobiles/OHVProgram/OHVRegistrations/

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I figured as much.
in 2000 I had a 400ex,
I had a prairie 650 after that in 2002,
I had an outlander after that in 2004.
So I have some experience with a solid axle.
I wasn't sure how stiff the raptor was.

I bought a dirt bike this summer and loved it on the trail so much so I decided it was time for a sport quad again.

I'm tired of the sportsman.

Thanks. for all the comments.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
yeah ur friend is smokin somethin.. utility quads done have half the suspension as a raptor.. these things are like warm butter across the rough..

·
Registered
751 Posts
I bought my raptor over the yfz 450 because of the raptor being both a trail and race bike.. I havnt had much trouble yet,Sometims a little difficult to manuver but overall not a problem

1 - 20 of 22 Posts