Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been trying to debate how I want to set up my new Raptor and it seems everything I look at always leads me back to an MX style riding setup. My riding buddies are on LTRs and Z400s and they are all setup for riding MX. Whenever were out riding they are always faster, cornering harder, and jumping higher. I know their quads are designed for that and that has most to do with it but I wanted to do some mods that would make my Raptor more enjoyable to ride like this instead of being really tall, skinny, and slow. LOL.

Currently it has Tusk bars & risers, K&N intake, Yoshi full exhaust, and jets. I may do a stage 1 cam later on but for now I'll leave the power mods at that. I turned the front spring pre-load down yesterday and that alone made a huge difference in how smooth and soft the ride was. I mainly want to add a few mods that will allow me to ride it better thus making me faster and smoother. I do jump it when a little one comes along but nothing crazy (no 10+' for now).

Right now I am debating on getting wheel spacers to widen the stance but I know they aren't ideal for this type of riding, mostly just because they are the cheapest route for added width. I would like to do some Full Flight +3+1 a-arms and some stage 1 Elka or Works shocks for the front with a G-Force axle in the rear and some 18" rear and 19/20" front tires, like the STI Tech 4s. Also nerf bars and bumper.

Does this sound like a good plan to get the Raptor setup for more aggressive MX-type riding? Does anyone else on here ride their Raptor 350 on an MX track or do any racing? Post your setup and any advice if you do! Thanks.

Robbie

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Yep theres a couple nice mx raptor 350 in the gone but not forgotton section on yfm350.com also someone did a wright up on using 400ex aftermarket a arms to get to 50"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links Beastly! Do you have a thread like that listing your setup? Your avatar looks like its setup pretty good!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been trying to debate how I want to set up my new Raptor and it seems everything I look at always leads me back to an MX style riding setup. My riding buddies are on LTRs and Z400s and they are all setup for riding MX. Whenever were out riding they are always faster, cornering harder, and jumping higher. I know their quads are designed for that and that has most to do with it but I wanted to do some mods that would make my Raptor more enjoyable to ride like this instead of being really tall, skinny, and slow. LOL.

Currently it has Tusk bars & risers, K&N intake, Yoshi full exhaust, and jets. I may do a stage 1 cam later on but for now I'll leave the power mods at that. I turned the front spring pre-load down yesterday and that alone made a huge difference in how smooth and soft the ride was. I mainly want to add a few mods that will allow me to ride it better thus making me faster and smoother. I do jump it when a little one comes along but nothing crazy (no 10+' for now).

Right now I am debating on getting wheel spacers to widen the stance but I know they aren't ideal for this type of riding, mostly just because they are the cheapest route for added width. I would like to do some Full Flight +3+1 a-arms and some stage 1 Elka or Works shocks for the front with a G-Force axle in the rear and some 18" rear and 19/20" front tires, like the STI Tech 4s. Also nerf bars and bumper.

Does this sound like a good plan to get the Raptor setup for more aggressive MX-type riding? Does anyone else on here ride their Raptor 350 on an MX track or do any racing? Post your setup and any advice if you do! Thanks.

Robbie
As for more power may I suggest a raptor 660 or 700? That should be plenty... for a while anyways lol

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Cool but this isnt a what quad should i get next and i would never take a 660 and i wouldnt want a 700 unless i was building a drag or dune quad. I upped the power of mine from 19 to 33 easily and fairly cheap

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well a 350 just isn't enough power for me... Maybe for you but to me they just aren't fast enough and feel small...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Power of the bike doesn't mean much, rider has a lot to do with it. My dad will kill me around a track with me on his 660 and him on my 350.

·
Registered
436 Posts
True but iv'e been riding 11 years and I ride stuff to it's potential and I haven't rode a 350 that has enough power for me yet... Not saying that there isn't one out there...

·
Registered
391 Posts
I thought you were 14? There are 40+ year old guys that ride 350s and do fine. The power of them is plenty especially with exhaust and intake and maybe a mild big bore.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I thought you were 14? There are 40+ year old guys that ride 350s and do fine. The power of them is plenty especially with exhaust and intake and maybe a mild big bore.
I am... I never said 350's aren't good for you guys I just made a joke! And say that I like the power of a 660 or 700...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Believe me if there was a chance I could get a bigger quad I would in an instant! But I have the 350, I got it for a steal, and my wife likes to ride it to so it is the perfect quad to satisfy her slower pace and leisurely riding style yet still be sporty enough for me to have fun on. Like I said in my first post I am not looking for more power right now. Anything bigger and I don't think I would use the full power anyways. I just want to set up the raptor on a somewhat smaller budget so it is still safe, practical, and fun for my wife while I can have fun with my friends. And I'm looking for mods that will allow me to ride this raptor better and faster, not have a faster quad.

On a related note, the first items I am going to try and upgrade are the tires. I want to go down to a 20 in the front and an 18 in the rear. I'll probably get some new Douglas rims while I'm at it with a 3+2 front offset and 8x8 in the rear. We ride a lot of loose sandy desert so some good tread would probably benefit me the most right now. I've been looking at the STI Tech 4 MX tires. They are fairly cheap and look to have a good tread pattern and good reviews.

Then the a-arms and some rear spacers.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Look like decent tires. And RaptorsForever, I didn't mean to be rude, sorry if that's how it came off. Robstar, you know smaller tires take away some of your top end right? Just making sure you know before buying.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Believe me if there was a chance I could get a bigger quad I would in an instant! But I have the 350, I got it for a steal, and my wife likes to ride it to so it is the perfect quad to satisfy her slower pace and leisurely riding style yet still be sporty enough for me to have fun on. Like I said in my first post I am not looking for more power right now. Anything bigger and I don't think I would use the full power anyways. I just want to set up the raptor on a somewhat smaller budget so it is still safe, practical, and fun for my wife while I can have fun with my friends. And I'm looking for mods that will allow me to ride this raptor better and faster, not have a faster quad.

On a related note, the first items I am going to try and upgrade are the tires. I want to go down to a 20 in the front and an 18 in the rear. I'll probably get some new Douglas rims while I'm at it with a 3+2 front offset and 8x8 in the rear. We ride a lot of loose sandy desert so some good tread would probably benefit me the most right now. I've been looking at the STI Tech 4 MX tires. They are fairly cheap and look to have a good tread pattern and good reviews.

Then the a-arms and some rear spacers.
Sounds like your on the right track! :beer:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya I knew the smaller tires would act as a gear reduction. I might put a 14T front wheel on to counteract the smaller tires. I just want the lower center of gravity the smaller tire size offers so this thing doesn't feel so top heavy in the corners. The LTR's are a lot lower in ground clearance and seat height and you can crank those things in a turn and not feel like your going to catch and dump it over. That's how I want the raptor to feel.

If I went with the 3+2 front wheels that would add an extra 1/2" to each side wouldn't it? I'm leaning more towards the ASR arms as I've heard the Full Flight heims aren't very durable. But then I lose the +3+1 option for only a +2.... Hmmmm.....

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Ya you need an 8" rim if you want to do 18's and i guess thats the benefit of the warrior, they sit lower

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beastly your warrior is bad ass! I just went through your build thread over the weekend. I like the route you took it! Looks good!

Where did you get your nerf bars from? They look like the Moose ones, right? Those things are rad with the integrated heel guards! I tried to find some online for the Raptor but no luck. Did you retrofit from another model?

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I believe their off a yfz but were cut and shortened

1 - 20 of 21 Posts