Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, is there any information?
I saw the 2012 ATV Lineup, but no 700 in it (yet)

I'm just curious if there are going to be any big changes etcetera

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
New stuff from Yamaha? It's been a while since that happened... hehe

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
prbably another technology breakthough yamaha style....meaning different graphics

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
prbably another technology breakthough yamaha style....meaning different graphics
Or we might be lucky and get a serious advance like a temp gauge...

On a more serious note, the 2012 model release is in 2 phase and only phase 1 was done so far from what I hear. There are very unsubstantiated rumors of a Yamaha v-twin but I'd fall off my chair if that happened. As long as the Raptor will be such a good seller, they'll just keep milking the cow.

IMHO Yamaha is sitting on it's laurels just like all the other Japanese brands. Polaris and Can-AM are pretty much running alone in front of the ATV market right now (looking at the big picture, not sports-ATV specifically).

Then again... Yamaha in the early 2000's made a couple of dramatic leaps to get ahead of the market. Both the Raptor 660 and Grizzly 660's where pretty amazing machines for their time...

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
They wont release all the quads till around october usually, well yamaha did come out with the yfz 450 r and x and raptor 250 & 125, well see if they do anything to this years or not,they need to soon but it is the number one selling sport quad for a reason. Hopefully yamaha doesn't do to the raptor700 what they did to the banshee, you know not change anything for like 20 yrs

·
Registered
182 Posts
you make the banshee sound like it was a bad thing, i think the banshee is bad ass looking and there was nothing wrong with that engine was there?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Or we might be lucky and get a serious advance like a temp gauge...

On a more serious note, the 2012 model release is in 2 phase and only phase 1 was done so far from what I hear. There are very unsubstantiated rumors of a Yamaha v-twin but I'd fall off my chair if that happened. As long as the Raptor will be such a good seller, they'll just keep milking the cow.

IMHO Yamaha is sitting on it's laurels just like all the other Japanese brands. Polaris and Can-AM are pretty much running alone in front of the ATV market right now (looking at the big picture, not sports-ATV specifically).

Then again... Yamaha in the early 2000's made a couple of dramatic leaps to get ahead of the market. Both the Raptor 660 and Grizzly 660's where pretty amazing machines for their time...
Honda is often accused of the same, "resting on their laurels" mentality. But when you make the most reliable and best selling atvs in the world it's easier to rest on those laurels than when you spent the last millennium (and the first few years of this one) being known as the least reliable atv company (Polaris) or were an overpriced afterthought until the 2006 outlander redesign and 800 engine debuted (can-am, formally bombardier) again with an astronomical price tag.

Polaris' HiPo sport quad is the answer to the question that most of us didn't ask, an IRS machine with a very good but carbureted engine, I don't feel that Yamaha will be surpassed if it doesn't update it's sport line. Honda was worried about that and the most successful atv company on the planet built a quad that was a complete flop, the 700XX. When you take a look at the Can-Am 450 (if you can stomach it) you will see that just about everything that made it appealing showed up on the YFZR in 09 and YFZX in 2010.

The big picture includes a lot more than twin cylinder utility quads. While the 600-1000cc giants get the press and the prestige while drawing people into the showroom most of the atvs people actually buy are the midrange singles, from around 350-500cc or so. In these volume sectors Yamaha stacks up pretty well with their grizzly line against those from BRP and Polaris. The grizzly line has been recently updated and includes many of the toys like power steering that were only present on top line atvs just a couple years ago. The best selling atv (of any type) in North America is the Honda Rancher line, btw, which also recently got EPS.

The life of an atv model varies, the banshee lived on basically unchanged for 20 years, the blaster for 15. The warrior has been around for about 25 now with a facelift, and the Honda 400EX for 12 years with the same treatment. But the yfz and raptor 660 have both had comparatively short lifespans, between 5 and 7 years, which isn't that long for vehicles that were very competitive in their classes. Sure we can all think of things we'd like to see on a new Raptor, things we wish we had or wish came on the bike from the factory. And while there will be a new Raptor before too long, there isn't a sport quad model available from another major manufacturer (nor do I expect to see anything new this year) that will make me feel as though the current Raptor 700 has fallen behind the times.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
you make the banshee sound like it was a bad thing, i think the banshee is bad ass looking and there was nothing wrong with that engine was there?
I didn't make the banshee sound like a bad thing thats how you took it so thats your view. The banshee is badass and fun but being unchanged for 20 yrs except j arm to a arm is boring.

·
Registered
182 Posts
oh sorry, i thought you were meaning it was a bad thing

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Honda is often accused of the same, "resting on their laurels" mentality. But when you make the most reliable and best selling atvs in the world it's easier to rest on those laurels than when you spent the last millennium (and the first few years of this one) being known as the least reliable atv company (Polaris) or were an overpriced afterthought until the 2006 outlander redesign and 800 engine debuted (can-am, formally bombardier) again with an astronomical price tag.

Polaris' HiPo sport quad is the answer to the question that most of us didn't ask, an IRS machine with a very good but carbureted engine, I don't feel that Yamaha will be surpassed if it doesn't update it's sport line. Honda was worried about that and the most successful atv company on the planet built a quad that was a complete flop, the 700XX. When you take a look at the Can-Am 450 (if you can stomach it) you will see that just about everything that made it appealing showed up on the YFZR in 09 and YFZX in 2010.

The big picture includes a lot more than twin cylinder utility quads. While the 600-1000cc giants get the press and the prestige while drawing people into the showroom most of the atvs people actually buy are the midrange singles, from around 350-500cc or so. In these volume sectors Yamaha stacks up pretty well with their grizzly line against those from BRP and Polaris. The grizzly line has been recently updated and includes many of the toys like power steering that were only present on top line atvs just a couple years ago. The best selling atv (of any type) in North America is the Honda Rancher line, btw, which also recently got EPS.

The life of an atv model varies, the banshee lived on basically unchanged for 20 years, the blaster for 15. The warrior has been around for about 25 now with a facelift, and the Honda 400EX for 12 years with the same treatment. But the yfz and raptor 660 have both had comparatively short lifespans, between 5 and 7 years, which isn't that long for vehicles that were very competitive in their classes. Sure we can all think of things we'd like to see on a new Raptor, things we wish we had or wish came on the bike from the factory. And while there will be a new Raptor before too long, there isn't a sport quad model available from another major manufacturer (nor do I expect to see anything new this year) that will make me feel as though the current Raptor 700 has fallen behind the times.
Good post, I totally agree.

The Polaris 525 is a pretty interesting machine though... It's weight to power ratio is significantly higher than the Raptor (stock for stock) so in a sense, it's probably the Raptor's toughest competitor right now. The sales don't seem to be astronomical though, but there are more and more of them out there. The high maintenance that comes with it scares lots of customers... For instance, I could never have this machine because most of my outings include more hours than the max recommended for a oil change, so I would pretty much need to change my oil in a motel's parking lot to come back to port which is kinda ridiculous.

I agree though that the Raptor 700 is still in a very good spot and I'm sure the sales of the Raptor are higher than any other sports quad on the market right now.. But still, would it hurt to up the ante a little bit? They could do like Can-AM did and just redesign the engine a little bit... We all know there's a ton of power hidden in there.. They could easily give us a 10-15 hp increase without affecting reliability with the same engine, give or take a few minor changes.

Anyway, I don't expect much if anything new for 2012 as far as Yamaha goes. Doesn't really matter cause I wouldn't have the $$$ to buy a new bike now so I'll stick to my machine (which I really love anyway, hehe).

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I am liking the new color for the YFZ. Maybe they will do somekind of a white/black/red color scheme for this year? Maybe, one that is more "Race Ready" like the Ballance YFZ? You know, nerfs, skids, bumper, ect....

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If yamaha wants to shock the world and keep the raptor around they should build it with an aluminum perimeter frame. Cut the fat on it. What can they do to the motor, make it bigger? Ooooh. If they want to make the 700 the baddest bitch ever close-loop it and give a totally aluminum frame, piss on this hybrid stuff. I'm not saying that it is heavy, I don't feel that it is. It would be a batter machine if it was lighter, that's the only thing I can find that I would want changed; plus a closed-loop system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts