·
Registered
669 Posts
what is it :3question:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 2006 Raptor 700 with a few mods that I put on to make it more of a dual sport bike. I don't like to use trailers and with a top speed of 90+mph, there is no need to drag it anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In order to be able to ride on pavement without wearing out a set of tires everyday, I swapped out the stock tires and replaced them with matching light weight aluminum rims and BFG All Terrains 27" x 8.5" x 14" for regular trucks on the rear, Carlisle All Trail 25" x 8" x 12" for ATV's or UTV's on parking lot duty, on the front. It's a lot of fun to ride and the tires are not showing any signs of wear for the 1750 miles I have on them so far (60% pavement 40% dirt).

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tiggyboot, As you can see from the pictures, I bought mine to ride. What makes this set up real nice is that I can still ride with my local Gold Wing chapter and then take any dirt road that comes along. Fortunately around here, Flagstaff, AZ (7000 feet above sea level) there are many dirt roads to choose from.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Raptoraddict said:
It is a 2006 Raptor 700 with a few mods that I put on to make it more of a dual sport bike. I don't much like to use trailers and with a top speed of 90+, I can go on any road other than a freeway.
What gearing are you running? Do you still have the speed sensor plugged in?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thats pretty cool man. We know all about the vapor. I think most of us have one. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I switched from the stock 14X38 gears to 13X40, (the lowest ratio I could find) and I am still able use the same chain. My total net gearing increase running the large truck tires on the rear is about 12%, but it still pulls like a freight train off the line at a stop light. I put on a Power Commander III that I think plugged into the speed sensor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Ive been wanting to dual sport mine but I have been scared to go through the process of getting it tagged. They will just look at me and go "Umm....OK.....no...."
What did you have to go through....in detail? I might reconsider if it wasnt too bad....I work 2 miles from the house and you know....

·
Registered
657 Posts
What do you do with the axle? I thought that was the main reason that a quad was not allowed to be used on the street. For the fact of making turns. Or are there different rules there?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
VelociRaptor said:
Ive been wanting to dual sport mine but I have been scared to go through the process of getting it tagged. They will just look at me and go "Umm....OK.....no...."
What did you have to go through....in detail? I might reconsider if it wasnt too bad....
There are only five states that allow you to license and ride a quad on streets as a motorcycle. I am not certain, but I believe they are Arizona, Colorado, Uath, and two others (S. Dakota & Wisconsin???). In Arizona it is a piece of cake, just add a horn, mirror and plate holder with light and with proof of insurance, there you have it, a street legal Raptor!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wickmaster said:
What do you do with the axle? I thought that was the main reason that a quad was not allowed to be used on the street. For the fact of making turns. Or are there different rules there?

I am using the stock axle. It runs down the road perfectly. You have to use a lot of body english in the corners on pavement and yes, there is a chance that it might raise a back tire off of the road if you turn sharply to fast , but once you get used to it, it's pretty much like a motorcycle. Not sure why they are illegal in most states. I get about 33 mpg on the street. By the way, I converted mine to a twist throttle almost the first day I got it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Raptoraddict said:
VelociRaptor said:
What did you have to go through....in detail? I might reconsider if it wasnt too bad....
There are only five states that allow you to license and ride a quad on streets as a motorcycle. I am not certain, but I believe they are Arizona, Colorado, Uath, and two others (S. Dakota & Wisconsin???). In Arizona it is a piece of cake, just add a horn, mirror and plate holder with light and with proof of insurance, there you have it, a street legal Raptor!!!
Crazy man I have never seen a Raptor like that. Glad it is working out for you. No steet legal quads in Utah though... I wish.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Im street legal too and live in AZ but I havent changed anything. The main reason I got legal was the fast we ride up in Munds park alot and the Rangers get on you if you arent street legal in a few areas where we have to cross.

Great looking Bike though man. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Teraflx, Yeah, I have been stopped by a few forest service personnel but I don't mind. I think that it is cheap enough to register a quad and I just love to ride all of the forest service roads we have up here. Sometimes I ride from West FLag, out Old Munds Highway to Mormon Lake for a beer and burger then on to Lake Mary to look for the wintering bald eagles. Last week I went to Jerome (Down through Sedona and Cottonwood on 89A), then took the Perkinsville Road to Williams and through Bellmont to get home. About 215 miles total and I wouldn't have wanted to do it on any other bike.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts