Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is armadillo decent stuff? I've got this 10% off coupon for rmatv, and I was going to make one big order (about $850 so far) and want to get as much stuff as possible to utilize the discount.

I know most of you guys like gytr and stuff, but is the armadillo stuff good too? It's cheaper, but how could they really screw up a sheet of aluminum???

I've come to the conclusion that the swing-arm skid is where you really want to pay attention to what you get because some swinger skids kill your ground clearance... how is the armadillo one?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have the armadillo engine skid and love it. It bolted right up without problems and for the price I must say it kicks ass. I would of got the whole set but I bought a used swingarm skid from someone else and found a killer deal on ebay for my a arms so thats the only reason I didnt go with armadillo on those too.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's reassuring. Does anyone have any feedback on the swingarm skid? I just want to make sure it's one of the skids that good for ground clearance.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
pewterpecker said:
That's reassuring. Does anyone have any feedback on the swingarm skid? I just want to make sure it's one of the skids that good for ground clearance.
I ALMOST bought their swingarm skid, but if I recall it didn't have a cahin guard, so I purchased the Richochet brand instead.

Just for grins and giggles, check this place out: www.proalum.com .

I was going to go with their stuff, but the company just started and they did not have hardly any inventory for my bike then. I have since purchased a bumper from them and have been really happy with it.

~Brian

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The armadillo skid doesn't have protection for the sprocket and chain?

Damn, that's an automatic DQ for armadillo then. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
pewterpecker said:

No, it does. It just doesnt have a chain guard. Like rubber or something under the chain to protect it. The metal still goes underneath the sprocket and disc to protect it.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
pewterpecker said:

No...the skid plate does have a guide, but it looked like plastic on the side for the chain. I went with the Ricochet because the chain guide was made of aluminum.

My bad.

~Brian

·
Registered
350 Posts
DG laser series, pricey but well worth it.... thick/tougher than hell I had the gytr before and swapped out for this plate. No ground clearence issues, plus it looks cool if your bikes ever stood up. Has 660R cut out and DG. I cant get tinypic to work or else I'd show you a pic.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Just whatever you do, do not get the UM one. Thats the one I got used from someone for an amazing price but the ground clearance on it is very poor. Its strong and holds up good but it sits like 3 inches off the ground so I hit about everything on the trail. :confused:

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
My chassis skid just had one hole, and did not require an extra hole. My chassis skid and A-Arm skids are DG Fat Series. They were the thickest available at the time. Nerf bars are by ProArmor, and the swingarm skid is by Ricochet. Bumper was made by Pro Aluminum. I have Works Connection frame guards, but I do not have them installed.

Total cost: around $375

~Brian

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I know what you mean Teraflx, had the same problem with the UM. I had to cut with a grinder half the lower plate to get normal ground clearance...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
rappyfreak said:
I know what you mean Teraflx, had the same problem with the UM. I had to cut with a grinder half the lower plate to get normal ground clearance...
Ya its horrible. I sound like a steel drum going down the trails cause every few seconds one the smallest rocks I still hit and hear a bing! :lol:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Damn Brian that quad is clean :eek: and yeah I had a um on my old 350 had to grind it to get it to fit and I hit every rock, I have GYT-R on my 660 and no problems 8)

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Limited660 said:
Damn Brian that quad is clean :eek: and yeah I had a um on my old 350 had to grind it to get it to fit and I hit every rock, I have GYT-R on my 660 and no problems 8)
Thanks man!

UM skid plates don't match up too well. I've had friends with install problems.

~Brian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts