Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
The All American
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I recently ordered a steering stem from zbroz racing. When it arrived today I already had the quad ready to go so that I could install it. However, when I stalled the new stem I quickly noticed that the part of the stem that was intended to fit in the stock bushing location, I noticed it was off by quite a bit. I emailed zbroz to see what the deal was and am awaiting a response. Also, the stem did not come with the bushing required to use the stem. It needs a rubber insert and metal bushign that goes inside of it so that I can install my Precision Racing Products shock and vibe bar mounts. I addressed both problems and eve nsent a picture so I hope to have it all resolved before the snow clears back out and I go riding next weekend!

here is the picture of what I am talking about.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That might be a yfz stem. That would explain why the section without powder coat is lower. I could be wrong though. It won't affect anything and you wont be able to see it when the plastics are on. And as far as the bushings, spacers, etc. those come with the clamp not the stem. You should be able to get the bushings and stuff from the manufacturer but you don't receive those items when you buy any after market stem.

·
The All American
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah they labeled it at a yfz/raptor 700 stem which I was leary about in the first place. The machined part without the powdercoat is to small for the OEM bushing anyways so I suppose this is how it has to be? weird. and I figured that about the bushings just wish it was labeled more clearly.

·
The All American
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got an email back from zbroz and they basically said I have to mail it back to them and they will send me a new one machined in the correct part. Im concerned about how rough of a machine job they did on the one I have now, I t looks like it would destroy the seals.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yeah they labeled it at a yfz/raptor 700 stem.
Almost all aftermarket stem manufacturers will have the stem labeled in this manner, as both machines (04-09 YFZ450, 06-11 Raptor700) use the same spline and front end geometry. The stems on these two machines are interchangeable. You were delivered the correct part.

As far as the bushing placement, I never knew there was a difference.. Is it because they're powdercoated or because they're a larger diameter? I've only ever used LSR stems, I've had 5 of them (different quads) and I've never bent a stem. Same diameter as stock.

Good luck, hopefully it is resolved satisfactory. I have an ARSFX stem flag, but I purchased it used. They seem to be a good company from what I've read, mistakes happen sometimes.

·
The All American
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I thought they were the same too, why else would they yse the same part number right? Perhaps they put the wrong part in the box or something. Anywho, they said in the email to send them the one I have back and they will return a correct part to me. Just not happy about the whole paying for shipping 3 times thing. But I guess If I have them ship the cone bushings I need with it when they send it back it wont be a wasted trip, right?

·
VIP
1,064 Posts
Did you already send it back to them Curtis?

If not then don't waste your money on the shipping back and forth.

The Houser stem on my 700 came off my 660 and the upper bushing mount location is also lower than the 700 location. The PC was left off the stem at the location of the 660/YFZ upper mount and the 700 mount is higher like in your pic.

Just mark the location of the upper mount and remove the PC from the stem with a blade, sand with some 1000 grit, lube up the plastic bushing and seals and install it.:)

Mine has been like this for a year and a half and works flawlessly.:thumbsup:

You can get them to send you the bar clamp bushing kit though, as already mentioned above, they only come when you order the bar clamp kit with your stem.

·
LOOK UP IN THE SKY ITS A BIRD, A PLANE, THAT'S THE
547 Posts
Did you already send it back to them Curtis?

If not then don't waste your money on the shipping back and forth.

The Houser stem on my 700 came off my 660 and the upper bushing mount location is also lower than the 700 location. The PC was left off the stem at the location of the 660/YFZ upper mount and the 700 mount is higher like in your pic.

Just mark the location of the upper mount and remove the PC from the stem with a blade, sand with some 1000 grit, lube up the plastic bushing and seals and install it.:)

Mine has been like this for a year and a half and works flawlessly.:thumbsup:

You can get them to send you the bar clamp bushing kit though, as already mentioned above, they only come when you order the bar clamp kit with your stem.
ya +1 on this! plus you should not have to pay for the shipping if it is the wrong part .that can get costly and delay riding time :D good luck man !

·
The All American
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have a lathe I could turn it down myself. They did a not so good machine job on the un-powdercoated part, and Im guessing the entire thing. It looks very rough :(
but thanks for the input I will probably just do that! Cant wait to test this new setup out!

·
The All American
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

good thought chimbazoid! just put the stem down where it was supposed to go, used a scribe and spun it around to mark where I needed to remove the PC and voila! fits perfect and it has a much higher quality of finish on it than the portion they turned down.

·
The All American
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I havent heard anymore from them. but when I installed the stem and was putting the plastics back on, I also noticed that where the bars mount on the stem it hits the plastics. it is offset and I havent switched it around to try it the other way yet but if it doesnt fit either way i am going to be highly upset.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Oh man, that sucks. That means they probably sent you a yfz +1 stem or something. After market Raptor stem has to be at least +1 to clear the plastics. Yfz stems are 1" to 2" shorter than Raptor stems depending on year. Too bad you cut into it already now your going to have a hell of a time replacing it. Always check fitment on parts first to make sure you got the correct product.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My Houser stem is 3" from the top of the stem mount bushing to the bottom of the part of the stem that the bolts run through. Anything much shorter than that and it won't clear.

·
The All American
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well I can extend it no problem, and I didnt cut the metal I cut the owder coat off and used 600 grit paper to polish the rest off. They already told me they would have to strip and re-powdercoat before they could resell it anyways. But they definately sent me the wrong part. I will be on the phone with them tomorrow haha. it cleared the gas tank fine and i didnt think to check the plastics. They need to seriously revise their parts ordering system I think. the yfz is clearly not the same thing as a raptor 700 stem

·
VIP
1,064 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that they sent a +1 stem for an 04-05 YFZ which is shorter than the 06-08 YFZ stem, but after checking thier site, it states that their stems are for an 06 YFZ/Raptor700.

What is the measurement from the top of the upper stem mount to the bottom of the tube for the bar clamp on your stem?

My Houser stem measures 3" just like Crisco's.

If it will not work, just have them send you their +2 stem for the 06 YFZ/Raptor 700 and you should clear the plastic just fine.:thumbsup:

·
The All American
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it werent for the splines I would just make a stem, but I dont have the equipment to machine the spline. I assumed that when it said 06 yfz/raptor 700 that meant that they were the same part. And it didnt say anywhere to specify which it goes on. I guess I was supposed to be psychic and know that. Im trying very hard to word my emails in a way that wont piss anyone off but in the future I probably wont order from them again, even though I really like my shocks and control arms.

·
Desert Racer
679 Posts
If it werent for the splines I would just make a stem, but I dont have the equipment to machine the spline. I assumed that when it said 06 yfz/raptor 700 that meant that they were the same part. And it didnt say anywhere to specify which it goes on. I guess I was supposed to be psychic and know that. Im trying very hard to word my emails in a way that wont piss anyone off but in the future I probably wont order from them again, even though I really like my shocks and control arms.
I built my own stem using the splines and the top mount off the stock stem and a piece of I think 1 1/4" dom tubing.:)

·
The All American
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That would work well also. I found some rubber plugs out in the garage that I might be able to fab up some bushings out of. we will see.

·
The All American
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In the process of lengthening the stem myself. I am taking pictures and stuff so maybe I will put a step by step instruction thread up for the people with the skills/patience/equipment to lengthen any stem themselves.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts