Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a six pack rear grab bar with a strap so i could put a little toolbox with good tools and parts to have for when things break on the trail.
What kinds of tools and what sizes would you suggest having?
And what are good parts to have for quick repairs on the trail?
So far im thinking a 10 and 12 mm 3/8 drive socket with 4 inch extension, 10 and 12 mm wrench, number 1 and number 2 flathead/phillips head screwdrivers, extra hose clamps, channel locks, needle nose, mechanical fingers, a few extra fuses, vise grips, a toothbrush, a 50 foot rope (actually rolls up really small) zip ties and some safety wire and duck tape.
What are some more things you guys would suggest? This isnt going to be a big box at all, just packed very well.
What other parts would you guys suggest though too? I mean stuff for common problems that can be fixed in the field pretty easily.
Thanks in advance...
Kyle

·
Registered
435 Posts
a set of metric allen wrenches maybe?otherwise i think you got the most of it..also a first aid kit might be handy to.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Tire plugs and a pump.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What I carry on my enduro races is:
Extra gloves
Extra goggles
Bounty sheets
Baby wipes
Ziplocs
Toilet paper
Air compressor
Flat kit
Flashlight
Zip ties
Duct tape
Tow strap
12V female adapter
Universal screwdriver with tip set
3/8in ratch
4in ratch extention
2in ratch extention
8,9,10,11,12,14,17 sockets
spark plug socket
extra spark plug
mm allen kit
multitool
fuses
3M electrical tape
needle nose pliers
Vice grip
12mm wrench
10mm wrench
8 gauge wire

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
What I carry on my enduro races is:
Extra gloves
Extra goggles
Bounty sheets
Baby wipes
Ziplocs
Toilet paper
Air compressor
Flat kit
Flashlight
Zip ties
Duct tape
Tow strap
12V female adapter
Universal screwdriver with tip set
3/8in ratch
4in ratch extention
2in ratch extention
8,9,10,11,12,14,17 sockets
spark plug socket
extra spark plug
mm allen kit
multitool
fuses
3M electrical tape
needle nose pliers
Vice grip
12mm wrench
10mm wrench
8 gauge wire
That's a pretty complete toolkit man, pretty much anything you could need while out there. I'm curious though, what are the Bounty sheets for? I don't think you are concerned about the way your riding pants smell in the middle of the race, haha. Is there a secret I don't know about? Enlighten me brother! Please!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I alway take Fastweld with me.:D It seems to be the most used thing aside from the wire. I'm not even gonna tell you what I've used it for;) because you guys would give me hell but I will say it does work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bounty sheets is mosquito repellent.
I didnt even think of a flat kit. Or a flashlight. Thats a must have.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Hmm....was unaware of this. Can't wait to pull out my box of Bounty sheets on my next trail ride and have everyone look at me weird and I can say "What? They make my riding clothes smell nice! And they keep the mosquitoes away too. But mostly they make my clothes smell good."

Zach, I wanna hear what you used the Fastweld on. Come on, spill it!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
That's BS! I'll remember that next time you're out of Bounty sheets and getting carried away by mosquitoes and I have plenty. I'll be sitting there rubbing one all over my face and arms and not getting bitten, and I'll say "remember that time when I asked you about what you used Fastweld on..."

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Dont forget that if you ride with the same guys all the time, you can split the kit up. A tool box strapped to your grab bar sounds like a pain in the ass. I bought a nylon dewalt case that had elastic loops already in it. it is probably 8"x8"x3" and holds most of what you guys have on your list. It fits perfectly in the back of my camelback. I then have the larger tools, pliers, prybar, allen wrenches in the pack as well. I can get you some pictures if your interested.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have a backpack that holds tools i could use, but thats too hot when its 100 degrees outside. im not getting anything crazy, and it will probably end up in a small pelican case.

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Dont forget that if you ride with the same guys all the time, you can split the kit up. A tool box strapped to your grab bar sounds like a pain in the ass. I bought a nylon dewalt case that had elastic loops already in it. it is probably 8"x8"x3" and holds most of what you guys have on your list. It fits perfectly in the back of my camelback. I then have the larger tools, pliers, prybar, allen wrenches in the pack as well. I can get you some pictures if your interested.
I am interested to see some pictures.

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
im sorry guys, I just went to the garage to get my back pack. I havent used it since I went to Hatfeild Mccoy a couple of weeks ago. I think I may have left it in WV. I sent the lodge an email, Ill update you.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I have found, snowmobiling, that I take a lot of things that I don't need. But that is life and death when I am in the mountains. Out of that kit for the bike I take the basic wrench's, water energy bars, Fast JB Weld, SMALL first aid kit, Emergency blanket and a whistle. You have to figure out what you need for your area and what your doing.

14mm socket, wheel nuts
crescent wrench
Master link for chain
JB Weld
Super glue
Camelback
short strap, tow strap
first aid kit
tire plug kit with a hose to fill off the other tires

this is what I would put in it.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. Even if it means taking a few things extra. Bent a tie rod a few years back and while a new tie rod would have been the obvious best case, a hammer would have been second choice, and we didn't have one. We were able to find a suitable tree branch to use as a club, but it was a pain in the butt.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
But were do you draw the line, before your pulling a trailer behind you with a spare bike.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
No question, I agree with you on that one, but there is being prepared for things you can trail fix and there is going overboard as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts