Raptor Forum banner

ATV buzzing problems

9K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  Raptor123 
#1 ·
So I just bought a 2003 Yamaha raptor 660. I was riding it through trails that had some watery mud, no problems. 30 minutes later I was riding it out of the trail and into the open field and I opened it up. It just randomly shut off, then when I tried to start it, the relay started to click. And the fuse is fine. Just got a brand new battery. Any thoughts? Thanks

#2 ·
Double check the voltage on the battery and check all connections that would have gotten wet.

welcome to the forum!

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Several most likely possibilities:
1) Battery connections loose, wet or dirty.
2) Battery cable or cables have corrosion up in the copper strands near the battery
3) start button contacts are wet/corroded
4) run/stop switch wet/dirty/corroded
5) some random connection in the harness is wet/corroded (not nearly as likely as 1,2 or 3)

Reactions: 38Fitters
#5 · (Edited)
Morph's idea and my 1 and 2 are easy... do them first, plastics intact.

As morph said, measure battery voltage... chattering solenoid is usually a direct function of low voltage at the solenoid either due to low battery voltage or my several ideas.

The more I think about it the more I expect Morph will be right... I'll bet your battery voltage is low (charge it for a day and try starting) most likely because the charging system has failed - run it at medium RPM and measure battery voltage - better be 13.5V or higher or you probably have a bad stator or rectifier/regulator. Let us know where it stands and we'll give you the next set of tests.

#7 ·
Important voltage is WHILE you are pressing the start button... even a damaged battery can seem okay when doing nothing - and 12.0V is low, should be 12.5 or above when well charged and sitting for a short while.

#11 ·
You need to tell us what your battery’s voltage is while you are pressing the start button.
As you may have noticed, bypassing the starter relay will not solve your issue. The bike shut off while it was already running, which indicates a failed charging system or dirty or corroded contacts.

You need to use your multimeter, set it to DC, connect the leads to the battery and press the start button. Record the volts while trying to start it, and also while the battery is at rest. Then report back and we will be able to help. Until then there’s not much we, nor you, can do. First things first.

#13 ·
That’s too low. You should try jumping from your truck, let it sit for a few minutes, then try starting.

#14 ·
Sometimes, but not always, new batteries need charging. They employees at the store you bought it from are actually supposed to pull them off the shelf and charge them every so often.

#16 ·
I’m not sure why your truck wouldn’t jump it if it’s a low battery. Did the bike turn over at least, but wouldn’t fire?

#19 ·
I’d say try to jump it from the truck again, but this time give it 5 or 10 minutes hooked up to the jumpers before you try to start it. Then, instead of pressing the start button just bridge the starter relay terminals like you did before. If that doesn’t work, you may have a bad ground in the starter. I’d also leave my multimeter hooked up to the battery again while I was trying to jump it to take some readings.

The thing I have a hard time believing is that it’s the starter, since it shut off while it was running. It’s not like you just couldn’t start it one morning. It lost voltage for some reason and couldn’t create a spark, then died. Really seems like your stator is done for, but you need to do more tests. Let us know what you find.

#20 ·
Btw, I started my bike once after it sat for a few months and it ran fine. Shut it off shortly thereafter and it wouldnt turn over when I tried again. Multimeter showed 12.2v resting. Hooked to my Duramax with the truck off, and it still wouldn’t fire. Waited a few minutes for it to take a charge and she fired right up. Ram it fir 20 minutes and it has held a charge without issue ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.