Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because we don't have hills for hill climbing, nor dunes for sand dragging, and mud runs are just too messy, several ATV Sled Pulling compititions have popped up in my region. The ones I have attended are dominated by 4x4 utility ATVs. To be honest no 2WD sport bikes have even tried. Well I intend to be different. My thought is this; all CVT geared 4x4 loose a lot of HP going through the CVT. A 2WD bike will loose limited HP with chain drive and still have 5 gears to choose from to get the wheel speed right. So lets build a 2WD sled puller. I recently got a great deal on a cherry one owner 660 raptor. Air box, slip on pipe and jet mods already in place and runs real strong.

The rules are basic: 2 classes, stock appearing and not stock, weight and CC divisions beyond that 600CC to 800CC at #1100 and 800CC and Up at #1200, hitch height no higher then center of the rear axle. There are other rules but they remain unimportant for this post. Keep in mind the sled actually pulls very easy to start. The bike has to be able to spin the tires as the bikes forward momentum stops. At the end of the day, sled pulling and drag racing have similar physics, except in reverse order.

Has anyone on the board done this before? WillyKiller? Obviously a new aftermarket clutch is in order, stiff but still driveable. Give me some names and vendors for clutches. Also will need to gear down as low as possible, cause i could always start out in 2nd. What is the smallest front, amd largest rear anyone has found and where?

Lets build a winner together. Let me have it.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Because we don't have hills for hill climbing, nor dunes for sand dragging, and mud runs are just too messy, several ATV Sled Pulling compititions have popped up in my region. The ones I have attended are dominated by 4x4 utility ATVs. To be honest no 2WD sport bikes have even tried. Well I intend to be different. My thought is this; all CVT geared 4x4 loose a lot of HP going through the CVT. A 2WD bike will loose limited HP with chain drive and still have 5 gears to choose from to get the wheel speed right. So lets build a 2WD sled puller. I recently got a great deal on a cherry one owner 660 raptor. Air box, slip on pipe and jet mods already in place and runs real strong.

The rules are basic: 2 classes, stock appearing and not stock, weight and CC divisions beyond that 600CC to 800CC at #1100 and 800CC and Up at #1200, hitch height no higher then center of the rear axle. There are other rules but they remain unimportant for this post. Keep in mind the sled actually pulls very easy to start. The bike has to be able to spin the tires as the bikes forward momentum stops. At the end of the day, sled pulling and drag racing have similar physics, except in reverse order.

Has anyone on the board done this before? WillyKiller? Obviously a new aftermarket clutch is in order, stiff but still driveable. Give me some names and vendors for clutches. Also will need to gear down as low as possible, cause i could always start out in 2nd. What is the smallest front, amd largest rear anyone has found and where?

Lets build a winner together. Let me have it.
It took us three years to go from the back of the pack to the front, and I only competed in the 4WD class in the start. Later they made up a 2WD class which we totally dominated. I havent competed for a few years now, but still have all the old gears and chains and weight brackets, tires are important as is weight distribution......................And you will never use any gear but first....................

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only use first... because you can't gear it down enough. I was hoping to use first for the cut pulling tires, 2nd for ATV tires with less traction.

What kind of bike did you use in the 4wd and specifically the 2wd? What were the challenges you faced in your 4 years. I'm new to ATV pulling as is it new to our area. More info, I need more Info.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I think he used first cause pulling a heavy load with lots of wheel spin it probably slowed or stopped momentum shifting gears. That's my assumption I could be wrong though.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Only use first... because you can't gear it down enough. I was hoping to use first for the cut pulling tires, 2nd for ATV tires with less traction.

What kind of bike did you use in the 4wd and specifically the 2wd? What were the challenges you faced in your 4 years. I'm new to ATV pulling as is it new to our area. More info, I need more Info.
I used a 2002 Raptor and my son used a 2004 YFZ to compete in the 2wd and 4wd classes, we dominated in both.....................:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Willy, don't hold back. What mods brought you to dominate. Clutch set up, gear ratio.....??? What weight did you run? Did you run cut pulling tires or ATV tires? or both. I have a line on 26x12x12 pullers but I am afraid that the diameter will be too large and will effectivly increase my ratio too much. However that height will raise my hitch (it can be no heigher then the center of the rear axle) which I want to do, the higher the better.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Willy, don't hold back. What mods brought you to dominate. Clutch set up, gear ratio.....??? What weight did you run? Did you run cut pulling tires or ATV tires? or both. I have a line on 26x12x12 pullers but I am afraid that the diameter will be too large and will effectivly increase my ratio too much. However that height will raise my hitch (it can be no heigher then the center of the rear axle) which I want to do, the higher the better.
Well, I'm not sure if I should tell you it all, this is a feat that took my son and I a few years to figure out, a lot of time and money was spent on this between my son and I. I talked with him about it and even he doesn't want to go out in public and spill the beans as to how we setup our atvs for atv pulling........................
I will wait and see how some of our longer running forum members feel about what I just said, if they think I am wrong then maybe I will help in more detail..................:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Advice maybe, secrets no! Your right willy, I am sure y'all had a ton of blood sweet and tears to make it to the top. I would not just give it all away. 002 start playing around with it and see what happens, I bet if you have problems or specific questions somebody will help. Really how would that be fair to all the other competitors if you was just given a winning set up? IMO....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WillyKiller,
OK, I get that I'm new to this forum. Until I recently bought a raptor I had no need to visit, I understand your reluctance to share with such a new member. How do you know I’m not one of your competitors, right? I also get that it cost you a lot of money and probably a lot more time to learn what you’ve learned. Time and money have value, I get that too. Please don’t take offense, but I’m not looking for the recipe to Coke. You may very well be the most knowledgeable person in the country or actually countries about ATV Sled Pulling with a Yamaha Raptor. We live 1000+ miles apart so I can’t meet you for lunch or buy you a beer and get some tips. Forums such as these are made for sharing information. You have made over 15,000 posts. Certainly you have shared a lot of very valuable information with a lot of people over that length of time. I’d like to ask you to reconsider and would certainly appreciate any help you can offer. If you would rather not share in an open forum, I would be glad to receive a private message.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I don't blame willykiller about keeping his secrets. Who knows, maybe his son or (someday further generations) could still be using his lifetime learning experience to hold the top of the podium.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
WillyKiller,
OK, I get that I'm new to this forum. Until I recently bought a raptor I had no need to visit, I understand your reluctance to share with such a new member. How do you know I’m not one of your competitors, right? I also get that it cost you a lot of money and probably a lot more time to learn what you’ve learned. Time and money have value, I get that too. Please don’t take offense, but I’m not looking for the recipe to Coke. You may very well be the most knowledgeable person in the country or actually countries about ATV Sled Pulling with a Yamaha Raptor. We live 1000+ miles apart so I can’t meet you for lunch or buy you a beer and get some tips. Forums such as these are made for sharing information. You have made over 15,000 posts. Certainly you have shared a lot of very valuable information with a lot of people over that length of time. I’d like to ask you to reconsider and would certainly appreciate any help you can offer. If you would rather not share in an open forum, I would be glad to receive a private message.
Thankyou for a very professional response and for understanding my point, send me a pm on what you are exactly looking for and MAYBE I will give an insight as to what it may take to get competitive. We trail drove our Pullers, it took four hours to change from trail driving to a pulling atv, and then about 2.5 hours to return it to trail, so you can see that we just didnt put a hitch on and go pull..............:)

·
The Moose Rider
1,644 Posts
I think our community is great at sharing info on set ups, builds ect. You don't need to give him your exact set up to help him out. You can give him clues such as try gears in this range, tires of this kind and sizes work better ect. That's what i love about the atv community. Everyone isn't so secretive like the street and strip guys are. I don't miss that community.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I think our community is great at sharing info on set ups, builds ect. You don't need to give him your exact set up to help him out. You can give him clues such as try gears in this range, tires of this kind and sizes work better ect. That's what i love about the atv community. Everyone isn't so secretive like the street and strip guys are. I don't miss that community.
Well I did some checking and I started ATV pulling in 2001, my last year was in 2007. The first pull with my 01 Raptor was 6 feet, the last pull in 2007 was a little different, in this competition, I had 7 pulls of which 5 were full pulls at 200 feet............what a difference 6 years makes.............and this was with my Raptor in the 4WD classes.................:D:D:D:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts