Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i'm new to this forum and new to the raptor world. I recently bought a 2004 raptor 660r and it was working and running fine but the bike was in bad shape. I took it apart to paint the frame and some sub frame and then put the bike back together. Now the problem... Whenever i try to start the raptor it wont start. It lets off a loud buzzing noise from the starter relay. The lights turn on, neutral light shows, but whenever i try to start it, it just buzzes. I tried jumping it with a 12 volt jump box, i charged the battery even, and even tried to pull start it on my street, still nothing.. ANY HELP PLEASE! It's been snowing and i have yet to ride one on the snow and I know how much fun they are. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

·
Registered
33 Posts
valdrin1993,
When you reassembled the machine did you thoroughly clean (remove the paint) the area that the machine is electrically grounded to?
Sid

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
The battery is dead. i just changed mine out today. The solenoid buzzes when it's trying to kick.

Even with a charger on my battery would barely start the bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
valdrin1993,
When you reassembled the machine did you thoroughly clean (remove the paint) the area that the machine is electrically grounded to?
Sid
I grinded down the ground cable by the box near the headlight. The other ground is bolted in the engine. How many ground wires should there be?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I grinded down the ground cable by the box near the headlight. The other ground is bolted in the engine. How many ground wires should there be?
You could have a bad connection anywhere where the power wires are connected to the battery, solenoid (relay) frame, or even the engine..........:)
Or a defective battery..........

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
if you have a volt meter, you can test the battery when you crank it over. If the voltage drops hardcore when you try and start it, like 11 volts or under, the battery is toast.

again, i just changed my battery for the exact same sound.

·
Master of the Electron
15,143 Posts
Clean and tighten the battery connections first... if that's not it then test with jumpers to a car battery - if it starts easily, it's your battery that's bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I tried cleaning off all the wire connectors. Checked all the grounds. Sanded down everywhere there was metal to get a good connection, tightened all bolts and screws and still nothing... The battery is fully charged, And everything even tried the jump but it's still only buzzing..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok so I tried cleaning off all the wire connectors. Checked all the grounds. Sanded down everywhere there was metal to get a good connection, tightened all bolts and screws and still nothing... The battery is fully charged, And everything even tried the jump but it's still only buzzing..
Using a voltmeter measure the voltage across the battery terminals, not the connectors, and attempt to start the engine. The voltage should remain fairly constant and not drop down more the a couple volts. If it drops considerably and or jumps around you have battery problems. If the relay buzzes and the voltage stays fairly constant at the battery, you have a bad main connector somewhere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Using a voltmeter measure the voltage across the battery terminals, not the connectors, and attempt to start the engine. The voltage should remain fairly constant and not drop down more the a couple volts. If it drops considerably and or jumps around you have battery problems. If the relay buzzes and the voltage stays fairly constant at the battery, you have a bad main connector somewhere.
I tried measuring this with a multimeter but didn't really know what setting I needed it on the measure the volts so I just tried each one individually. But it does drop, I wouldn't say drastically, when I press the ignition switch. But nothing else.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I tried measuring this with a multimeter but didn't really know what setting I needed it on the measure the volts so I just tried each one individually. But it does drop, I wouldn't say drastically, when I press the ignition switch. But nothing else.
Does it stay constant and does it drop below ten volts.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
the battery is bad.... I had a charger on mine and it wouldn't start. Like i said before if the voltage is dropping down to 11 or lower when you try to start the battery is bad.

I just replaced my battery with the same symptoms 2 days ago.

·
Master of the Electron
15,143 Posts
What did you jump it to... with what gauge cables - what shape was jump battery in?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok everybody.. So I bought a new battery for it, charged it, hooked it up tightening everything and it still wouldn't work.. I still get the buzzing..

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
damn, that is crazy. Only other things i can think of is the starter is bad, or starter solenoid is bad. I really can't believe it's not the battery. hmmm. If the battery is/ was dropping then something was wrong with it as it shouldn't do that if it's good.

I even looked at the shop manual i have, it doesn't really say much.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts