Raptor Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I wish I didn't spend so much money on the battery just now.. Honestly, I don't care how much half of you know about four wheelers but if you guys don't know you just shouldn't even offer advice. I obviously didn't need to spend all that money on a battery when that wasn't even the problem. You guys sit there and just throw out a whole list of possibilities to get people to pay up the ass and it doesn't even fix their problem. You guys shouldn't recommend things if you really don't know, which OBVIOUSLY, none of you do. Thanks for nothing, back to where I started.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I wish I didn't spend so much money on the battery just now.. Honestly, I don't care how much half of you know about four wheelers but if you guys don't know you just shouldn't even offer advice. I obviously didn't need to spend all that money on a battery when that wasn't even the problem. You guys sit there and just throw out a whole list of possibilities to get people to pay up the ass and it doesn't even fix their problem. You guys shouldn't recommend things if you really don't know, which OBVIOUSLY, none of you do. Thanks for nothing, back to where I started.
Listen. I gave you specific instructions on how to go about checking your problem and you came back with rather vague answers. I base my suggestions on over 35 years of working in the mechanical field and these methods work. I have three licenses and also my own business.
You my friend need to learn how to follow instructions and come back with answers that are what I asked. I based my suggestion as to what to do by your answers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Listen. I gave you specific instructions on how to go about checking your problem and you came back with rather vague answers. I base my suggestions on over 35 years of working in the mechanical field and these methods work. I have three licenses and also my own business.
You my friend need to learn how to follow instructions and come back with answers that are what I asked. I based my suggestion as to what to do by your answers.
You told me it was a "defective battery" or a "bad main connector somewhere" I checked all the connectors an tightened everything, as I said before, and I replaced the battery because SOMEONE told me I had a defective one.. Obviously, you're not reading the forums.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
You told me it was a "defective battery" or a "bad main connector somewhere" I checked all the connectors an tightened everything, as I said before, and I replaced the battery because SOMEONE told me I had a defective one.. Obviously, you're not reading the forums.
As I said I based my conclusions on what you told me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having somewhat the same trouble here is some of what I did and still don't work. I got a 01 yamaha raptor. It don't want to turn motor over and when it does its like real slow. I bought new solenoid for it because iwas told old one was bad. then someone said to check the decompresion mech in side the motor so Ijust replaced the whole thing. And it still does same thing. I put 2 gauage wire from solenoid to battery as someone recomend so Idid that. Still no luck. I had starterr tested and its good. I do have a dead battery but still doesent work if Itry jump starting it. Also the solenoid just clicks. I tighted all wires on battery and solenoid. The solenoid use to buzz untill Itried to jump it with a screw driver no it just clicks. The motor does turn over i can hand crank it. I need someone to help. It runs great when I pull start it with a truck. I was also told it has a compresion kit in it.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I just went back out to to test my bike to see if i could help. I can assure you my itention is to help, not screw you. You have to remember we are NOT there, and it's very hard to diagnose an issue when we are not there to look at it.

My bike wouldn't start, and was doing the buzzing noise again. I just replaced my battery 2 days ago. After i replaced the battery it started right up, multiple times.

I also just did a cam install. since i was getting the buzzing noise, i decided to check the timing marks and see if i had that right. I did notice that the decompression part was not installed properly. The pin was not inside the groove. I thought "that must be it" I got it all back together, Nope... i still get the buzzing.

with a volt meter i tested the volts when i tried to start it and it was dropping to 6 volts, sometimes even 4 volts, when it would buzz. After messing with it for a while the battery was just sitting in the 11 volt range. It is sitting on the charger now to see if that helps. The battery is a brand new Bike Master Gel, and is the right one for the raptor.

I know i was having issues with the battery before, so it made sense it was the battery. It did seem like it got worse after the cam install (only change). so i thought it might be the decompression thing, but it doesn't seem to be.

I am confident the timing is correct, and i believe the decompression part is on right now. Since those were the only changes, i feel i have eliminated them.

When it tries to start, sometimes it will turn over, then buzz, then basically backfire through the intake. If charging the battery doesn't work, i guess i will have to pull the cam back out and make sure the decompression thing is working right. I am not sure what it's function is, but it does seem like when it's trying to start, it's hitting compression and just doesn't have enough power to turn it over.

I may take this new battery in to be tested as well just in case.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I'm having somewhat the same trouble here is some of what I did and still don't work. I got a 01 yamaha raptor. It don't want to turn motor over and when it does its like real slow. I bought new solenoid for it because iwas told old one was bad. then someone said to check the decompresion mech in side the motor so Ijust replaced the whole thing. And it still does same thing. I put 2 gauage wire from solenoid to battery as someone recomend so Idid that. Still no luck. I had starterr tested and its good. I do have a dead battery but still doesent work if Itry jump starting it. Also the solenoid just clicks. I tighted all wires on battery and solenoid. The solenoid use to buzz untill Itried to jump it with a screw driver no it just clicks. The motor does turn over i can hand crank it. I need someone to help. It runs great when I pull start it with a truck. I was also told it has a compresion kit in it.
Read all the previous posts and follow what I said and do the tests I suggested, and you should figure out your problem.......

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
My question is, shouldn't I have been able to pull/push start it? I tried that and it didn't work either.
Yes you should be able to push or pull start it.......
It is too bad you didnt previously mention this.........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes you should be able to push or pull start it.......
It is too bad you didnt previously mention this.........
Which brings me back to my old point.. I really wish people would read everything before making assumptions and making me waste my money on something that isn't a problem.. I CLEARY stated in the first post in this thread that I tried pull starting it.. And I realize you guys can't see the atv in person so can't make a great prediction on the problem, but I described everything 100% clear, it shouldn't be hard to know if you're true mechanics..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hello, i'm new to this forum and new to the raptor world. I recently bought a 2004 raptor 660r and it was working and running fine but the bike was in bad shape. I took it apart to paint the frame and some sub frame and then put the bike back together. Now the problem... Whenever i try to start the raptor it wont start. It lets off a loud buzzing noise from the starter relay. The lights turn on, neutral light shows, but whenever i try to start it, it just buzzes. I tried jumping it with a 12 volt jump box, i charged the battery even, and even tried to pull start it on my street, still nothing.. ANY HELP PLEASE! It's been snowing and i have yet to ride one on the snow and I know how much fun they are. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Which brings me back to my old point.. I really wish people would read everything before making assumptions and making me waste my money on something that isn't a problem.. I CLEARY stated in the first post in this thread that I tried pull starting it.. And I realize you guys can't see the atv in person so can't make a great prediction on the problem, but I described everything 100% clear, it shouldn't be hard to know if you're true mechanics..
I apoligize, I missed that phrase or else misunderstood it...........

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
i went back out a took a look at my bike... I charged the new battery, as many times they don't have a full charge.

I took the battery off the charger, and per the Yamaha manual I waited the 30 minutes (for me it was about 45 minutes) to test the voltage of the battery. It was 12.71, which is good. According to the manual it should be above 12.6 with the key off and static for the 30 minutes minimum after charging.

While I was waiting for the battery i thought that maybe the decompression pin had come out of the cam when i installed it. So i ended up taking the tank and everything back off so i could see in the intake side and the pin was in there. I tested the decompression mechanism and it seemed to be fine. So, the only thing i changed was the cam, and all that was working properly.

I got the bike back together, this was why it was about 45 minutes before i tested the voltage after charging. With the voltage still good on the new battery, I tried to start it and it fired right up. let it run for a couple minutes, turned it off, restart, no problem. I did a few restarts in a row with no issues. This leads me to beleive that, for me, it was the battery not having a full charge. If the battery isn't the issue, and the cam install isn't the issue, then it would be an odd coinsidence for something else random to have gone out.

If the bike won't pull/push start, i suggest double checking the timing and decompression system.

Not sure how much voltage is needed to make the ignition work but if it won't pull start it can only be one of 3 issues, Air, Fuel, Ingition. since it won't electric start, ignition makes the most sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue. I have a 2003 660 Raptor, and I even replaced the starter solenoid. Still the same issue. Any other ideas?

·
Master of the Electron
15,136 Posts
Buzzing is usually due to battery or battery cable issues.

Welcome to the forum!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts