Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title reads, who's been through the nastiest stuff and walked away from it? I wrecked my old kawi probably 50 times since in the last ten years, but the worst was probably when i was 13. I got off early from school and went riding down the backyard trails by myself (never a good idea :lol:). I went down the bank on one side of this stream and decided to jump out the other side. My dumb ass landed on the back wheels and fell off the back of the quad. I woke up like an hour later and saw the quad sitting almost vertical up against a tree, and went i went to move i got the worst shooting pains all through my back. Being the little kid i was i started freaking out, i thought i had broke my back. Really not that bad of a wreck, didnt break any bones or anything, but damn it sure scared the hell out of me :lol:. So what do you guys have? i know you can beat this one!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well heres mine. Me and my buddies rode hardcore for about 5hrs (couple 10 min breaks). We all decided we had enough and figured time to have a couple beers and some food. On the way back to the house i decided to go do 1 last jump. Did my jump (and made it :grin_nod:) when i turned i saw they were blastin off. SOOO stupid me im like im on rocket im gonna beat them to the exit ( to the street) well was goin good until the path i was running became real bumpy......slowed down, downshifted but wasnt enough. hit a hole doin 20 25mph. I went one way the bike the other. 5 broken ribs, collapsed lung, chip bone near my spine somewhere and 12 weeks outta work. shytty thing. my bike kept goin about 45 ft until it came to rest againest a embankment. but when i was cleared to work that was my doc tellin me to fire her back up.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
When I was 17 I had a worked warrior. Well it was in 1994 and here in NJ we had more snow than ever about 30 inches over 24hrs. After the roads were cleared the first time we decided to go out on the roads. Visibilty was poor, still snowing, but traction was good enough to get going all through the gears. Me and one friend, who witnessed everything, were tearing up the town. Then we saw lights behind us, thinking it was a cop, being young and dumb, we began running fast turning our lights off for stretches. Well since I lived out in the country nothing is ever on the sides of the roads. Boy was I wrong. Apparently at the second I turned to look behind me for the car I hit something at almost full speed. I flew 20 feet in the air for about 30 foot, somersaulted in air and got up. Wnet back to the quad to see a white car on the side of the road with snow plowed up over it. When I hit my front left wheel hit the cars front right wheel which had been turned outward. My warriors frame bent in half. The carb and engine were ripped apart and there was about 2 inches in between it. When I sat on it the bike looked like an L. A bruised ass and ego was all I got plus a hefty repair bill.

G

·
Back in September I was riding with 2 friends on a dirt road 3 wide and when I came around the corner I met a truck that was going about 60. 3 Broke fingers(one almost got cut off) and a broken pride. Never thought I would have been in a wreck.

·
Registered
815 Posts
March of 2006 - Bought brand new raptor on a friday in March.... Brought it home.... Woke up the next morning.... about 8 am, Unload it off the trailor.... My buddy hopped on our Polaris Ranger (its for our farms use)... and we went just cruising around on gravel roads.... we rode for about an hour, and were ready to head back in for some breakfast.... decided to go across one of our pastures to get back home.... My buddy just floored the Ranger (it will go almost 60 mph) and had it toped out.... so i hammered it and pulled a wheelie.... i Passed him doing a wheelie (which meant i was probably doing about 65 or 68 mph....right then (still doing a wheelie) my rear right tire dropped off in basketball size hole (so it ate the whole tire).... So me and the atv went for a tumble.... from the spot of the hole... the bike finally stopped at 58 feet away.... and my body stopped at 64 feet away from the hole.... lets just say i did a few flips and so did the bike....
He loaded me on to the bed of the Ranger.... took me to the house (we were almost there anyway - maybe 200 ft away) got my brother, took me to the hospital.... three broken ribs and one way out of place (pushing on some organs)(had to have surgery).... A major concusion.... right shoulder out of place.... broken left wrist....
Anyway.... as most of us would be - i was worried more about how my bike looked then myself.... got back home about 3 days later.... brother had my atv in our shop....
NOW HERE IS THE SURPRISING PART (you all dont have to believe me if you dont want to - but im being honest) - - Both front rims were Bent BAD...Handlebars bent....Rear grab bar borken off.... and it popped the back right tire off the rim... - -BUT THATS ALL - - NO a-arm damage, no rear axle damage or anything....No fender damage.... put the rear tire back on the rim and air it up....

Sorry that was so long.... but it sucked and hurt bad.... ever since then i have been a little more careful on my atv...
Plattner

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Went night riding with some friends on a relatively new to me Tecate 4. We were on a dirt road and I was #3 out of 4 in a line.

We were moving along pretty quick and we came up on a long uphill section with an immediate left turn at the top. I was going way too fast, missed the turn and went off the road down into a raveen a good 50' down.

I came away with a dislocated wrist but aside from that all I got a little road rash from sliding end over end down the side of the raveen. The surjury to fix the wrist was worse than the injury itself!

We thought the bike was literally in pieces. With out flashlights we saw one wheel sticking up in a bush and expected the worst. Upon climbing down we found the bike to not only be in tact, but is almost perfect shape all things concidered. It bent the steering stem and wrecked the tie rod ends but we were able to tow the bike out. I could have rode it out under it's own power if it weren't for the injury to my right wrist.

I fixed the bike, but riding it hurt the wrist unbearably so I sold it.

I went out with some friends a little over a week ago on their new Raptor 700R GYTRs and I was sold. I picked up one for myself on Saturday.

Shawn

·
Registered
350 Posts
About a year ago me and a few friends were out doing some riding, I had a completely built 87' 250r with a quadzilla 535stroker motor in it. Anyways we were heading out through the neighboorhood and a vette' went by on the street in the opposite direction and revved up so figured what the hell..... lined them up on a main street and took off. It was an easy kill and I thought why not just top it out which I'd never had the chance to before. GPS reading was 107 mph and still had another gear...shifted up and heard a weird pop and from there I just remember covering my head up and rolling.

The rear tire bead had came lose due to the very very high speed and low tire pressure. It fell off the rim deflated and my friends said the bike went sideways instantly and went flipping away I was out in front of it rolling. At the end of the flipping it landed on top of me breaking my sternum in half. The road rash on my arms, legs, elbows, butt etc was pretty bad the worst being my forearms I was protecting my head. I didnt have a helmet on....never ride without one. The burns from the exhaust on my arm's also and chest.

Ended up breaking every rib except the top first right rib. Punctured my spleen and had alot of internal bleeding, dislocated both shoulders, the footpeg went through my left inside ankle bone(the big bone) and out the otherr side, shattered my nose(bu tno rash there weird...) broke both my wrists and my left arm. Broke my right ankle and the other one where the peg went in was shattered along with the foot. Both thumbs dislocated and my hip was out of joint. I think thats it....

Had to reconstruct my nose, lots of stitching inside of me and a wheelchair for 6weeks. Also had to miss 2 months of school(17 at the time). When I was finally medically released first thing I did was check out the bike....parted out the motor and trans for $2k and the rest went in the dumpster. Picked up the rappy 6 months later and couldnt stop shaking for the first few rides, was scared of it but it all went away quickly.

Never ride without a helmet, and if your on the street make sure your setup for it. These tires are designed for dirt trails not paved road especially at high speeds. I reall yhope no one ever has to go through this kind of accident because it realllllllllllllllllllllly BLOWS!

Take it easy guys 8)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
:eek: :eek:Dammm Rappy Shock to see you get back on anouther quad after a crash like that. Glad to here you came out of it ok. Balls to ya for riding again. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
i miss judged a corner on a mountain trail with about a 40 meter drop ... i did a full roll in the air with the raptor then landed on the downhill rolling down the mountain, i hit my head on a rock so hard that it cracked my helmet almost in two, if i didnt have a helmet i would be dead ... i stopped rolling but the bike carried on, it rolled aobut 16 times over huge rocks, iand i still managed to ride it back to the guest house that was about 50km away.....lucky :thumbsup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wasn't on a quad but both my friends were. One on a 350 Raptor the other on a 660. I was on my CRF230f. I know it a honda but I'm getting a 700 in April. Well anyway, We came to the end of a trail, that we always ride, where there's a road crossing. You have to go do a pretty major road in our town for about 100 yards, crossing a bridge. Well my and my friend(350 Rap) hammered on it because my friend on the 660 was crawling up our asses. When my friend(350 Rap) went to cross to the other side a car came over the nuckle of the road (it was coming up hill towards us). My friend swerved sharp back into our lane hitting me at about 45 mph. I tried to keep it upright but then I hit shale on the side of the road. Made me fall on my ass sliding under the guard rail, my legs just missing on post and my head the other. Sailing down over the hill to the rail road tracks below. Got up, ran up the hill, everyone thinking I was dead. A guy asked if I was alright, I said yea since nothing was hurting yet. Pulled my bike up hit the starter and off we went. The only thing I got was some road rash on my right arm. The bike only got scrapped on the right side panel. Told the parents I couldn't make a hill climb cause they would have freaked out. :thumbsup: :lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
My story is a double-whammy.

My brother and I had just purchased 2 brand new '07 Raptor 700Rs and finally got to take them out for the first time over the weekend. (This was back in October) After probably about 5 hours of riding, we were heading back to re-fuel. We were going over this steep hill (which at the time I thought was the same one we came in on) and I was standing straight up to see over it. At the top of the hill I noticed it wasn't the same hill and more importantly, it was a steep ass slope on the other side. Being the smart individual I was, I hit the FRONT brakes out of panic. :stupid: It was at that time the quad started to endo and I decided this would be a good time to jump off. The quad did a barrel roll on the ground and came to a stop about half way down. Luckily a nasty, scummy bunch of mud broke my fall... I stood up, completely pissed off (of course) as my brand new quad was already screwed up thanks to my quick thinking! The clutch lever was bent in a 80 degree angle, and the front left headlight came loose (the little metal bracket came off). Thankfully that was all that happened, but I was quite angry at the time.

This is where I start to feel better....

On our way back from another location, I decided to let her loose and speed off. I got about a mile down the trail and stopped to wait for my brother. About 5 minutes passed and I'm still waiting... At this point i'm getting a little concerned, so I decided to head back a little ways to see if I could find him. I went back probably 1/4 mile and saw another trail that forked. I thought perhaps he went that way and so I returned to where I was waiting and waited some more. 10 minutes later, there he comes, but something doesn't look right. His handlebars are pretty much in his lap and he was going pretty slow. He pulls up next to me and says, 'Notice anything different?' At which time I start laughing my ass off knowing that he's alright, but his quad was pretty screwed. He ended up breaking the mount on his right side headlight, bending the handlebars down in his lap (which we just moved back), and breaking some of the plastic screw holes off.

He was quite lucky however, considering he was hauling ass around a corner and his back tire clipped a large rock, which sent him flying left and his quad in the other direction. He told me he layed on the ground for a few minutes because the wind got knocked out of him. When he got up, his quad had fallen half way into a ditch and he had to pull all 395 lbs of it out alone.

Moral of this story: I'm retarded. :grin_nod:

Always wear a helmet!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
had been working all day in the yard for the wife(last summer) had a bushell of crabs i had caught the night before and some shrimp, loaded my oldest son in the truck and headed to my buddies house on the other side of the neighborhood for a cook out. got all the food going and decided to go for a quick ride in the back yard. i had built a little track at his house through the woods and i also had a little jump to show off. meanwhile i had mabey 3/4 of the first beer, warmed up the bike(moded blaster) and took off. i made 2 laps when my dog(boxer) got off her leash and begain to chace me. she was running through the trees so fast i was scared she would hit a tree while trynig to bite my tire. so i kicked her and i yelled at her and then she really bit the front tire and i ran overe her head. after seeing she was ok i cracked it trying to get back into the yard and over the little jump i go dog catches up bite my tire again whch makes me look and come off the jump sideways.... smack 3rd geer head first into a 6" tree.... no helmet... 56 stiches above my eye, you could see the back of my eyeball from the top. didnt knock me out or anything. cut the tree down with an ax about a week later...
moral of the story, casual stupid little put around in the yard and the fuc*in dog sent me for a ride in the meat wagon.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
yea that stupid dog has had the shotgun in her face quite a few times but shes just to damn cuite. :sniper: for like two weeks after that i think i made up 100 different stories about what happened at work. i made storys up from getting jumped to being involved with some underground fight club. noboby know what to believe till i told then what really happened :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
03Rappy660 said:
About a year ago me and a few friends were out doing some riding, I had a completely built 87' 250r with a quadzilla 535stroker motor in it. Anyways we were heading out through the neighboorhood and a vette' went by on the street in the opposite direction and revved up so figured what the hell..... lined them up on a main street and took off. It was an easy kill and I thought why not just top it out which I'd never had the chance to before. GPS reading was 107 mph and still had another gear...shifted up and heard a weird pop and from there I just remember covering my head up and rolling.

The rear tire bead had came lose due to the very very high speed and low tire pressure. It fell off the rim deflated and my friends said the bike went sideways instantly and went flipping away I was out in front of it rolling. At the end of the flipping it landed on top of me breaking my sternum in half. The road rash on my arms, legs, elbows, butt etc was pretty bad the worst being my forearms I was protecting my head. I didnt have a helmet on....never ride without one. The burns from the exhaust on my arm's also and chest.

Ended up breaking every rib except the top first right rib. Punctured my spleen and had alot of internal bleeding, dislocated both shoulders, the footpeg went through my left inside ankle bone(the big bone) and out the otherr side, shattered my nose(bu tno rash there weird...) broke both my wrists and my left arm. Broke my right ankle and the other one where the peg went in was shattered along with the foot. Both thumbs dislocated and my hip was out of joint. I think thats it....

Had to reconstruct my nose, lots of stitching inside of me and a wheelchair for 6weeks. Also had to miss 2 months of school(17 at the time). When I was finally medically released first thing I did was check out the bike....parted out the motor and trans for $2k and the rest went in the dumpster. Picked up the rappy 6 months later and couldnt stop shaking for the first few rides, was scared of it but it all went away quickly.

Never ride without a helmet, and if your on the street make sure your setup for it. These tires are designed for dirt trails not paved road especially at high speeds. I reall yhope no one ever has to go through this kind of accident because it realllllllllllllllllllllly BLOWS!

Take it easy guys 8)
Shit rappy you have to be the luckiest or unluckest person I know, I've rolled a few times and even had a 90mph collision on a snomobile before and walked away without a scratch. Glad to here your allright after a accident like that one, that sounds like you went through hell for a few months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.