Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
thats it in a nutshell. Though even with out the autotune how would you tune your bike at that elevation if you didnt take your laptop? I don't mind the extra step to make sure I don't burn a ring or fowl some plugs becuase I am trying to guess. That is why I ditched the pushbutton controllers to begin with. But to each his own.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Well this thread just confused me and made me a little upset. I put the autotune on my bike last summer because I was told I could go anywhere any elevation and the autotune will make all necessary adjustments for me. HENCE THE WORD "AUTO". It sounds like this is the farthest thing from the truth?? So if I go up to north Utah from vegas I have to bring a laptop and accept changes when I get up into the higher elevations?? Thats really frustrating and defeats the whole purpose on why I purchased this thing.
I don't think the intention of this thread was to confuse or upset. Nobody in this thread ever said the autotune would automatically make your bike run perfect.

The autotune is a great tool. But it's just that, a tool. It is not a plug and ride mod that will automatically build a map for you. You will have to learn how to use it. It only makes small adjustments. This means it will take many runs to get it dialed in. This is also why it's critical to start with a map that is close.

·
2 Time (09,10) RF Fantasy FootBall Champ
655 Posts
Well this thread just confused me and made me a little upset. I put the autotune on my bike last summer because I was told I could go anywhere any elevation and the autotune will make all necessary adjustments for me. HENCE THE WORD "AUTO". It sounds like this is the farthest thing from the truth?? So if I go up to north Utah from vegas I have to bring a laptop and accept changes when I get up into the higher elevations?? Thats really frustrating and defeats the whole purpose on why I purchased this thing.
I believe that it does use the adjustment trims on the fly based on my experience with it and discussions with power commander support. When enabled, the fuel level is based off of the base map + the trims. You also have the ability to increase the +/- limit of the trims allowing it to make more dramatic changes. If you only need fine tuning and do not want this, you could decrease these limits. If you are at the current trim limits, you can accept the trims. Then, it will add them to your base map and reset the trims back to zero.

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware from their website in your PCV controller as it includes a few fixes for the earlier models.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of which slots on the PC5 are for the hardware switch wiring? I don't have my PC manual anymore and the online one is just a quickstart guide...

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Hardware switch wires are connected here:

The install instructions can be found here:
http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/22-002/install/pcv/eng22-002.pdf

The 2nd pages explains where to put the wires:

"The PCV has the ability to hold 2 different base maps. You can switch on the fly between these two base maps when you hook up a switch to the MAP inputs. You can use any open/close type switch. The polarity of the wires is not important. When using the Autotune kit one position will hold a base map and the other position will let you activate the learning mode. When the switch is “CLOSED” Autotune will be activated."

·
Registered
86 Posts
OK slight problem... I hooked up the auto tune and PCV exactally as the initial post here explains. I also set up the software and PCV settings as explained. I have had my quad out several times but I have never seen any recommended trim level adjustments in the "trim" tab. Everytime I look it's all zero's....

The first time I took my raptor out it would bog out once I went past half throttle. I came back and looked at the trims and followed the directions but there were only zero's. I then calibrated the throttle positions and went out for a good 5 minute ride and I didn't have any bog past half throttle. I hooked it up to the lap top and once again everything was zero's. This went on for several runs and each time the quad seemed to run fine. I pulled my plug tonight and the diode and post are light chocolate color and the rest of the plug is a little black. I am now wondering if if the autotune is even working (yes power light is on) or if I am need to do somehting else? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Did you disable the hardware switch mode and set the time delay to something like 30 seconds? Also you have to leave the power connected to the autotune unit to retain the changes.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
As Spartan said, make sure you have the hardware switched enabled if you have one installed. If you don't have a hardware switch installed, make sure and disable it. Also make sure you have the autotune enabled in the menu.

Then hook up your laptop to the PC5 and turn on the raptor. See if the A/F numbers are changing as the raptor is idling.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I enabled the auto tune, the time is set to 30 seconds and I don't have a switch so that is turned off as well. Everytime I have come back from a ride I have turned off the the raptor using the key before I hooked up the lap top. Is that what my problem is?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Turning off the engine is not a problem. It will store the trim adjustments.

Please hook up the laptop, open the power commander software, start the engine and see if the A/F ratios change while the quad is idling.

Also, please let us know exactly how you are trying to retrieve the trim table.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
How do you have the power going to the autotune unit? I had mine connected to the battery and used a quick disconnect bullet-type connector to shut it off

·
Registered
86 Posts
OK I got it figured out. I looked back through the auto tune box and found a hard plastic clip that has two small jumper connectors inside of it. I then swapped that hard plastic connector with the rubber cover that I had placed in the auto tune before. Took the Raptor for a ride and finally had recommended trim adjustments. I looked through all of the dirrections and did not see anywhere that instructs you to use that hard plastic connector. Hopefully someone reads this and it will prevent them from pulling their hair out...

Thanks to all that have been helping me with this problem...

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
OK I got it figured out. I looked back through the auto tune box and found a hard plastic clip that has two small jumper connectors inside of it. I then swapped that hard plastic connector with the rubber cover that I had placed in the auto tune before. Took the Raptor for a ride and finally had recommended trim adjustments. I looked through all of the dirrections and did not see anywhere that instructs you to use that hard plastic connector. Hopefully someone reads this and it will prevent them from pulling their hair out...

Thanks to all that have been helping me with this problem...
Before you did that, did your autotune have a constant or blinking red light?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The red light was constant before I placed in the plastic connector witht he jumpers.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Just installed a hardware switch on mine (thanks for the pic Dave!) It was a pita with the small wires...And small tip, you may have to poke a pin through the port first to pop some seal that's on it...The wires I had would not clamp down at all til I stuck a sharp point in the hole to clear any debris and felt it go through a material. After that and when I snipped off some more for a clean wire, it went right in and tightened up. Did few rev tests with hardware switch enabled in autotune and it works that I can tell...I disabled runtime requirement also so it will start reading as soon as I flip the switch.

Here's the switch I am using:

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey guys, are you talking about those 2 little blk connectors? if so, what wires do i put in there and connect them to what? DO ANY OF YOU HAVE PICS PLEASE...

and can you please explain what are those red cylinder connectors that screw off?
bare with me guys, I am learnig... and i would like the best out of my 700.. just put auto tune on today and soon as i rode off it shut down on me. i blew a fuse then re-wired +from the battery to the brn&yellow wire you recommened.. i 'm doing this myself so please help

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi guys....i read all the threads but still seems complicated for sum reason....sorry for being dumb but im ordering it tomorrow and i wanna know what to do when i install it....they said that they are already going to have it programmed with my bike so that i can just connect it and ride.....any suggestions or questions i should ask them? Thanks for the help guys

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
There are instructions that come with it, follow them for installation. It will have a map pre-loaded, but you should get clarification on whether or not they have setup the autotune for you as well.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts