Raptor Forum banner

awsome shocks chain derailing

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  trespasser 
#1 ·
gents i have a 08 rap 700. got fcr shocks (love them to death) but the setup i use for my riding style causes the swingarm to move almost thru the total travel causing my chain to derail. note: i use a blingstar sprocket protector and no skid plate on the swingarm (got hung up too much) leaving me with no guides. anything i can do.

#2 ·
Don't quite understand what ur saying about the travel...and ur shocks wouldn't have anything to do with it either. As long as u have the chain tightened right it shouldn't be coming off...are ur sprockets really worn down? When was the last time u replaced all ur sprockets and chain? And if its a new chain you have to check it after the first handful of rides cause the new chains stretch...

#3 ·
+1 a new chain will stretch fast. I usually tighten it ride around the block 3x's retighten repeat. The suspension going thru entire travel may through it but that means it needs to be tighter I'd think. The chain is loser when there's it's extend out and fully compressed and tightest when the swinger is parallel to frame and ground after any more compression it gets looser. I think that's how I understood it when explained to me. Jake I hope I didn't confuse you more.

#5 ·
Yeah either he didn't tighten chain enough or it's new and stretching quick right now. He coulda had stiffer springs on old shocks that didn't allow it to completely bottom out. I'd check the slack and tighten it and keep an eye on it. We gotta wait on him to reply with more. I think he left something out idk.

#7 ·
New chain is gonna stretch fast gonna need constant tightened for a minute

#9 ·
I vote for rear bearings... when mine were bad, the chain would keep popping off when turning left.

#10 ·
#11 ·
what if he simply has the sprocket on the wrong side? i did that once when i put my carrier in lol...

#12 ·
X2, a friend of mine broke 3 chains last year before he realized he had the sprocket on the wrong side after an axle bearing change.

#16 ·
right, when i put my carrier in thats what i did and it took me a few beers and a chair staring at it trying to figure out how the f my chain was crooked...lol i thought i put my carrier in wrong or something. easy fix though and i saved my chain :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.