Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 rappy. Replaced many axel bearing in many bikes. When i was attempting to remove the old ones the bearing exploded and now im left with the outer race and nothing to get ahold of to hit the old one out ... any suggestions or tips would be appreciated .. never had this happen ??? :mad:

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Can you punch it out from the other side with a punch?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have an 03 rappy. Replaced many axel bearing in many bikes. When i was attempting to remove the old ones the bearing exploded and now im left with the outer race and nothing to get ahold of to hit the old one out ... any suggestions or tips would be appreciated .. never had this happen ??? :mad:
If you have access to a welder, weld on the inside of the bearing race as far around the inside as you can, allow to cool after welding and the race will fall out............make enough of a weld that the race turns red hot at the point of welding....................

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the quick replies ... dont have acces to a welder ... i can probably have a friend that has one come over and do this ... any worry of getting the carrier too hot? I thought about trying to get it out with a dremel but im scared to f up the carrier .. Keep the ideas coming guys ... this forum is great !

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
thanks for the quick replies ... dont have acces to a welder ... i can probably have a friend that has one come over and do this ... any worry of getting the carrier too hot? I thought about trying to get it out with a dremel but im scared to f up the carrier .. Keep the ideas coming guys ... this forum is great !
Nope, the welding procedure should only take about 30 seconds per side and will never get the carrier to hot, the object is to get the bearing extremely hot, as fast as possible.........red hot in the area of the weld and you will see it fall out if done properly......

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
would a torch provide the same results? Might have to give this a try ..
Oxy-acetylene torch only, with the cutting tip on it, heat until it starts melting the surface of the bearing where applying heat and continure around the bearing for about a half inch, do this in at least two places.........Remember, the point is to heat the bearing as fast as possible..............

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any other suggestions other than heat? I think this is the route ima have to go ... Which would work better ? Welder or torches .. i dont have either but can get

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had to use a Dremmel, angle cut as to not hit rear of carrier and be really patient. Left the worn out cutter on till the end so I could get as close to carrier without cutting it sucks..I am gonna get a welder soon though as that is the way to go!

·
Registered
296 Posts
When I did mine last month I had to use a dremmel and it worked great for me, i cut it almost all the way through in two spots, smacked it with a punch and it came right out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts