Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My axle carrier is out and soaking with penetrating lounge. I'm trying to tap one of the bearings with a flat head from the opposite side which is very tough. A lot a searches said to just press them out. I have a 40 ton at work but don't understand how it's possible. Is there a machined lip that limits the bearing from going all the way? Or is the carrier flush all the way through and I can press one out by pressing the the top bearing then flip it and press the other. Plus I can try heat on it tomorrow. Need quick advise. Thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
There are two bearings, one on the left side and one on the right. You need to separate the caliper carrier (right side) from the hub (left side). The left side bearing comes out with the hub and can be pressed out. The right side bearing stays inside the swingarm and is visible when the caliper carrier is removed (it might actually be pressed into the caliper carrier and come out with it, I forgot it's been awhile). There's also a spacer inside the swingarm that can be removed when the hub is removed.

Get a socket that matches the size of the bearing and you can beat it out with a hammer. If you plan on putting it back in using the same method make sure the socket is the same size as the OUTER race of the bearing, otherwise you'll damage the bearing.

http://www.highlandsyamaha.com/page...L_TERRAIN_VEHICLE)/REAR_ARM_(YFM660RN_-_2001)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the complete carrier on a table. Theres a bearing on each side making it tough to get out being pressed against the spacer. Not sure what you mean about the swing arm.. The carrier will simply slide back in it after I replace the carrier bearings. Just wondering if I can press the top bearing thus causing it to press out the bottom bearing or is there a machine lip a may damage

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have the complete carrier on a table. Theres a bearing on each side making it tough to get out being pressed against the spacer. Not sure what you mean about the swing arm.. The carrier will simply slide back in it after I replace the carrier bearings. Just wondering if I can press the top bearing thus causing it to press out the bottom bearing or is there a machine lip a may damage
The brake supporting side plate comes off the carrier, the carrier is installed into the rear swinger, remove the brake supporting side plate and the carrier slides out of the swinger, remove the axle and the bearings can be pushed out of the carrier.............:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
if i remember right there is a lip on each side of the carrier. if your replacing the bearings try to pound through the middle of the top bearing with a flat head thats long enough to reach the bottom bearing it should pop out that way

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah already have the brake side plate off the carrier so think thats where our confusion was. The Clymer manual explains to tap the bearings out through opposite ends but a press is easier. If theres no lip to hold the bearing at a certain spot then what's to stop it from being justified to one side or the other even with the spacer installed.. It could still be closer to either the brake or sprocket side. But bottom line just want to make sure I can press it out with my previously mention method

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Yeah already have the brake side plate off the carrier so think thats where our confusion was. The Clymer manual explains to tap the bearings out through opposite ends but a press is easier. If theres no lip to hold the bearing at a certain spot then what's to stop it from being justified to one side or the other even with the spacer installed.. It could still be closer to either the brake or sprocket side. But bottom line just want to make sure I can press it out with my previously mention method
You push the bearing out from inside the carrier outwards.......

·
Registered
180 Posts
You push the bearing out from inside the carrier outwards.......
From what I understand he has both bearings in the carrier and dosnt know how to get to the back side of one of the bearings to push it out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly. I can slightly offset the spacer to one side and tap it with a flat head from the opposite side pushing the bearing to the outside. But theres not much to work with and is very tough. My main question is can I use a press to push the top bearing (if set vertical) straight down causing the bottom bearing to come out? Visa versa

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Exactly. I can slightly offset the spacer to one side and tap it with a flat head from the opposite side pushing the bearing to the outside. But theres not much to work with and is very tough. My main question is can I use a press to push the top bearing (if set vertical) straight down causing the bottom bearing to come out? Visa versa
Negative.........you must punch them out in the method you described by offsetting the spacer......... :eek:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
You will need a large punch and BFH. I know mine were so tight that a flat blade never would have worked. Good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
My axle carrier is out and soaking with penetrating lounge. I'm trying to tap one of the bearings with a flat head from the opposite side which is very tough. A lot a searches said to just press them out. I have a 40 ton at work but don't understand how it's possible. Is there a machined lip that limits the bearing from going all the way? Or is the carrier flush all the way through and I can press one out by pressing the the top bearing then flip it and press the other. Plus I can try heat on it tomorrow. Need quick advise. Thanks

Once you have the carrier separated (brake caliper side and the piece that slides through the swing arm), take a LONG PUNCH from either side and plainly hit it with a hammer (make sure to move the punch all around the bearing) and DO NOT FORGET to use penetrating lube! it will be your best friend. I did not have to use heat on mine and I just did them Sunday. The lip of the seal points toward the center of the bike (the seal that starts with 42 goes on the sprocket side I believe). Thanks for reading, Brad. (

1 - 14 of 14 Posts