Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be replacing my axle and got to reading on here about the bearings. Is it really neccesary to replace them or is that just being overcautious. Also for people that have done this how hard did you really find it ( been reading the topics but not a whole lot of follow up on the people that had changed them). Thanks in advance. ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Personally I like to replace them every 12-18 months. I don't ride all that much and I don't get too dirty when I do, but I do spend a lot of time in the sand. It's not hard to do or complicated but it can be frustrating trying to get the old bearings out. I've always done it myself.

Proper maintenance can go a long way but there are a lot of things that can shorten bearing life. Water, mud, fine sand, not enough grease, misalignment, smaller tires, long fast runs on pavement, etc can all shorten your service intervals.

If you're still running stock bearings you could stand a replacement set. I usually try to find a deal on ebay from a respectable manufacturer. Something like all-balls or pivot works or similar.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long fast runs on pavement,water, and mud sounds like I need to do this. I got looking around where the axle goes in and dont really see where the bearings are(I'll post some pics of where I thinkand maybe clarify). I was going to ask about the all-balls so I think that is what I'll probably go with.
Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
If you don't have one already download a service manual, it should answer most if not all of your procedure questions. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have looked all over sandwizards service manual and I cant find nothing about the axle bearings. I've looked till my head has hurt. Will wait and keep searching here in a sec though. In the mean time, is this what I'm looking for.

The area where the yellow dot is looks hollow like there is nothing in there so this is the only place I could imagine the bearings being.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
My mistake, I was remembering the front wheel bearing procedure outlined in the manual. The procedure is pretty straightforward if you know how it all works;

As firstraptor said there's a diagram in the manual. This is a picture from the parts microfiche, a little more detailed:

The bearings are number 3, 4 and 5 are oil seals. All should come in a kit.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So #2 is the hub, once I pull it out that is all I really need to change the bearings on the sprocket side right? #6 is the hollow sleeve I believe I was referring to earlier. #3,4,5 would be the parts I would be replacing. Sorry I am so ignorant about all this but I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is #5 is the narrow one your talking about firstraptor?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
#5 is the narrow seal.

#2 is the carrier body.

Remove item #7 after taking the axle out.

#2 will slide out with the bearing in it.

Also look at #6 the spacer if the ends are beatup replace it, it sets the spacing of the inner bearing races.

I also add a little grease between the seal and the bearing, not sure if it helps but it seems like it might slow down water getting in, maybe help the seal last a little longer too. If you don't like the grease in the seal at least put some oil on it before you put it in, it keeps the seal from running dry or tearing at asssembly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Decided that I'm going to attempt to do the axle bearings myself for sure now. Firstraptor you said #7 comes out when you take the axle out? I cant seem to get even the carrier body out. It all looks like it is one peice cause when I move just the body #7 will move to. Is this something I will need to hammer on? Just wanted to ask before I started in case I missed something. If not that do I have to take the seal and the bearing out on the #7 side before it will come. Thanks for the help.

By the way do you know where I can get a step by step on changing the bearings so I dont have to bother yall as much?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Just to state the obvious, not being an ass but just to be clear, the 2 bolts #8 need to be removed and back off the 2 bolts #21 (remove and grease or antiseize these).
That item #7 fits over a pilot to allign the two pieces, over time the two get rather stuck together.

The bearings and seals are contained in item #2.

These two being stuck together is common problem. I used a piece of steel rod and stuck it thru item 2 till I reached the inside face of #7 and tapped it apart. Use a bit of restraint when tapping it apart is is just aluminum. Some penatrating oil would be a good start and switch between the two holes to keep it moving straight. When you get it apart a wire brush or a scotchbrite pad will clean it up just fine.

dberry367 said:
By the way do you know where I can get a step by step on changing the bearings so I dont have to bother yall as much?
Take some good pictures, you just volunteered. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats what I needed to know thanks alot firstraptor. I was just a little hesitant to start beating on parts and as far as pictures I will do my best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts