Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to replace my rear axle with a new Lonestar unit. I wanted to freshen up the carrier bearings at the same time so rather than pound out the old and in with the new I decided to just buy an entire carrier with new twin row bearings. Seems like a quality piece but I have a question about the inner spacer, it has a seam weld going right down the middle of it. The stock carrier spacer does not have any seam. It looks like the axle won't contact this piece so it is probably fine but just wanted to check with a few of you guru's first.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've replaced mine (axle) few days ago. It is narrower in the middle so the contact point is only on the bearings. If the inner dimensions are the same as the old one (and they probably are) you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
I don’t even run the spacer.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,172 Posts
The spacer is to support the inner races from the pressure of the sprocket and brake hubs when the axle nut is torqued to max. The chances of the bearings coming apart is probable, unless you are using tapered roller bearings.

Reactions: BlackSupra

·
Registered
820 Posts
The spacer is to support the inner races from the pressure of the sprocket and brake hubs when the axle nut is torqued to max. The chances of the bearings coming apart is probable, unless you are using tapered roller bearings.
Exactly. The sprocket hub and brake hub they both "push" towards the centre and they sit on the inner ring of a bearing. Here comes the spacer into play to resist those forces and to prevent damage to bearings. Without the spacer all the force from the axle nut is transferred 50/50 to inner side of both bearings. It shortens the lifespan and increases the chance of a more catastrophic bearing fail. I wouldn't dare to run without it.

You probably heard "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction ". Even with tapered roller bearing you transfer force to the carrier instead to spacer and another bearing. There is more force that carrier has to deal with and since it is aluminium, with time it might cause warping or cause the bearing to become louse in the carrier. Either way its not good.

Reactions: DEZPERADO

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Exactly. The sprocket hub and brake hub they both "push" towards the centre and they sit on the inner ring of a bearing. Here comes the spacer into play to resist those forces and to prevent damage to bearings. Without the spacer all the force from the axle nut is transferred 50/50 to inner side of both bearings. It shortens the lifespan and increases the chance of a more catastrophic bearing fail. I wouldn't dare to run without it.

You probably heard "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction ". Even with tapered roller bearing you transfer force to the carrier instead to spacer and another bearing. There is more force that carrier has to deal with and since it is aluminium, with time it might cause warping or cause the bearing to become louse in the carrier. Either way its not good.
There is no nut on my axle. Just pinch bolts and keyways.

·
Registered
206 Posts

There is no nut on my axle. Just pinch bolts and keyways.
Can we say JJ&A? Probably don't even run seals too! Chugging some MR12 straight drag or hill shooter I bet.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Can we say JJ&A? Probably don't even run seals too! Chugging some MR12 straight drag or hill shooter I bet.
Shh...can’t be giving out all those neat little tricks.
Gonna put one on duner soon as well. Just a super nice axle. I was wondering if guys were having bearing issues in a dune/play application, but haven’t found much.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
where is the un-like button?

Reactions: morphrider

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
im not a fan of some of the ebay ebay carriers. the ones i have got in the past seem to fall apart quickly. i have had my niche for a lot longer than the "el cheapo" ebay deals.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im not a fan of some of the ebay ebay carriers. the ones i have got in the past seem to fall apart quickly. i have had my niche for a lot longer than the "el cheapo" ebay deals.
Yeup me either! I bought a Lonestar carrier to replace it. I think I got the axle cleaned up well enough. Oh well, can't wait to ride again.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update Again!

I burnt through a brand Niche Carrier this weekend.

Checkout what Cuervo Posted on Youtube regarding Chinese carriers:

I'll be looking for an OEM Carrier if anyone has one.

·
11,172 Posts
I believe I have a complete one, as well as new bearings and seals not installed. I'll look later after church and send a PM.

·
11,172 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I know the el cheapo ones dont last long. I dont know how much or hard your riding. The niche has been the longest lasting carrier ive had so far. I have never had a stock one. Before this one i was going through a carrier about every 4 rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
11,172 Posts
I know the el cheapo ones dont last long. I dont know how much or hard your riding. The niche has been the longest lasting carrier ive had so far. I have never had a stock one. Before this one i was going through a carrier about every 4 rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Didn't you get that one from me? I may have put good bearings and seals in it for my own use.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts