Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
my bearings on my raptor 660 (05) hub need replaced
i am at the point i need to remove the axle nuts i have taken the two grub screws from the right hand nut but for the life of me get it to budge

i have soaked the nut with penatrating spray but still cant get it to move either way i hsve a monkey type wrench that fits on the nut and used a bar to move it
still no joy

also the maual doesnt state which way this nut goes is it clockwise/anticlockwise

is there any tips you guys can throw my way so i get back out on the road ;)

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
956 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
In addition to what HK said, it also helps immensely if you incorporate an extremely loud grunt into it at the same time of maximum effort. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, turn on a women's tennis match and you will immediately have the recipe for success. Instantly turns lazy fly balls into home runs, gives an extra 40 yards on a tee shot in golf, and the extra torque you need to get off those stubborn nuts and bolts. Proven fact!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I use a big pipe wrench with a 4' cheater bar and someone holding the rear brakes. The loud grunt help to tho;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replys guys i will watch some womens tennis tonight and see if i can perfect my grunting for tommorow when i attempt it again ;)

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Haha good deal bud, that's probably a good idea.

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
lol killing me
You mean clockwise/counter clockwise. :)
Lol we've all read this and Yellow is the first one to notice this. Hahaha! Wow. What's the saying? How many Raptor riders does it take to change a light bulb?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you still know what i meant so thats the main thing and hey least im trying it myself instead of taking it to the stealership :p

right off to try this nut again

ty for the help ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys got the axle off the bearings were destroyed im unsure if the inner hub is ok i think there is some damage or the outer metal of the bearing has welded itself to my hub please advise
also is there any tips for getting the sides off the hub.

pics enclosed ;)

Axle off

damaged bearings

inside hub is this damaged or is there part of the old bearing in i dont want to damage the hub

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
make sure you loosen the the set screws (allen heads) in the nuts. turn them anti clockwise :D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
shit. disregard my previous post.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I hate to see what the bearing surface looks like on the sprocket and brake hub look like.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
just hope the axle was not spinning in the bearing. if so you will be changing them to along with the carrier. I know one of the guys i ride with changes his bearings every spring.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
is the inside of the carrier meant to have grooves or is it smooth?

the weather is great and i really need to the the raptor on the road again

thanks

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
There should be NO groves on anything

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
you still know what i meant so thats the main thing and hey least im trying it myself instead of taking it to the stealership :p

right off to try this nut again

ty for the help ;)
It was just funny but yes good luck with fixxing it. :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts