Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I want to do is change the axle bearings and I can't get my axle off. I heated it, but it still won't budge. Is there any trick to gettin this thing loose? I used penetrating grease, heated it... I'm pretty sure I am turning the right way, it's still righty tighty, lefty loosey? If I'm looking at the nut I'm turning it counter clockwise. I'm beating the piss out of this thing, my wrenches are gettin all beat up too. The only thing holding it was the pin, right? This sucks. I put a pipe wrench on one side, but now I think I'm gunna put my chain and tires back on. I'm lifting the bike up when I'm turning it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
There are 2 allen pins on the nut... Start with that if you only took one out :)

Other than that, it can be a real PITA... To remove mine the first time, I had to put a propane torch on it and just left it there for like 10 min.. I then used a huge wrench with a 4' breaker bar and even then, it was still very hard turn and I had to heat it until the last thread was off.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
All I want to do is change the axle bearings and I can't get my axle off. I heated it, but it still won't budge. Is there any trick to gettin this thing loose? I used penetrating grease, heated it... I'm pretty sure I am turning the right way, it's still righty tighty, lefty loosey? If I'm looking at the nut I'm turning it counter clockwise. I'm beating the piss out of this thing, my wrenches are gettin all beat up too. The only thing holding it was the pin, right? This sucks. I put a pipe wrench on one side, but now I think I'm gunna put my chain and tires back on. I'm lifting the bike up when I'm turning it.
There are 2 allen pins on the nut... Start with that if you only took one out :)

Other than that, it can be a real PITA... To remove mine the first time, I had to put a propane torch on it and just left it there for like 10 min.. I then used a huge wrench with a 4' breaker bar and even then, it was still very hard turn and I had to heat it until the last thread was off.
www.kbmatv.com

Be sure to get those 2 bolts out of the lock nut first, and then grab a large wrench and bar and work with it. I had to cut my locknut off before on my 400ex because it wouldn't budge at all. Now I wrap the lock nut up in tape and the nut comes off or on easily doing service work.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to get that off easy, I mean the actual nut at the end of the axle. I took the cotter pin out, but it's on there tight.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I used penetrating oil and a 3ft breaker bar with the 24mm (it is a 24 right?) socket and almost had to put my entire body weight on it to budge. I only took 1 tire off so the other one caused some friction as a friend of mine was putting pressure on the tire so it wouldn't turn. PITA is quite an understatement!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried penetrating grease too, I don't think it has room to get in there lol... I was trying to do this by myself and literally picking it up. I guess I need to call a buddy up to stand on the axle. I'm going to go at it again tonight, wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used a breaker bar and didn't even need heat, just needed someone to hold that bad boy down. New problem, I used a socket that didn't hit the end of the threads so I effed up the threads. Hopefully re-threading works, if not, I'll be in the market for a new axle and have a three day weekend quadless. Thanks for the responses though everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts