Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when the rear is jacked up and the wheels off the ground, there is side to side and up and down play on the axle. I can feel that the nuts do need to be tightened, but I won't know until I actually can get some wrenches.

I'm debating whether or not to just order axle bearings as well.... Ive spent too much on this thing already and im looking for the cheapest solution. Should I just wait to see if tightening up the nuts solves it?

Like I said, if I put my hand on the nut, I can feel some play between them and the left spacer or w/e that is. Theres also some play in the spacer thats between the sprocket and the left wheel.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
If you have play up and down you need axle bearings. I took my bearings and seals out and brought them to a local bearing store and they replaced them for less than half of the yamaha store. Its best to change them before they get to bad and it tears up something else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok--I ordered new rear axle bearings for 13 bucks shipped...so hopefully that will fix the problem.

Lotta work put into this '01 so far..

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
The bearings aint to bad to change as long as you have a big hammer and long punch to get the old bearings out. Mine were pretty tight. They took some time to get out but they go together pretty easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any tips on getting the axle nuts off?

I dont have two 50mm wrenches lying around...can I use a pipe wrench or a couple of huge adjustables?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Yup, me to. =)

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
It could be the axle bearings or it could be the cast tube that holds the bearings. I thought mine needed bearings and it was the tube itself that was broken off. Probably a once in a lifetime thing but entirely possible. Might be worth looking into before you order bearings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the bearing kit was 20 bucks...so I just ordered it.

What I cant find is a decent stepwise writeup of how to remove the axle and bearings from the carrier. My clymer manual isn't very detailed here.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
is your axle stuck in the carrier? you need to thread a nut onto the thread on the end of your axle (where the hub goes) and pound it out with a hammer. I usually use a sledge but I hold a 2x4 against the nut so I don't damage the nut or threads. as for the bearing just put a chisel throught the inner race of one bearing and pound the outer race of the other bearing out with a hammer. then grab a socket that fits the outer race of the bearing and hammer the next one out. use the socket that fits the outer race to tap the new ones in... don't damage the carrier and don't use a socket that is too small.....

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Its not hard dude. Pull the tire and hub off the same side as the large nut. Then pull off the brake caliper. Then the large nut. Then slide the brake rotor off the axle. Then you should be able to slide the axle out. I had a hard time getting mine out because of the pipe in the center between the bearings was rusted and real tight on the axle. I had to hammer it out with a block of wood and large hammer. While you pull the axle out just slide the sprocket along on the axle and keep it from binding up. I didnt have to pull my chain off but it might be easier if you do. After the axle is out use a long punch to run through the carrier and knock the bearings out with a large hammer. Mine were pretty tight. Then just install the new stuff. Good luck. =)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
is your axle stuck in the carrier? you need to thread a nut onto the thread on the end of your axle (where the hub goes) and pound it out with a hammer. I usually use a sledge but I hold a 2x4 against the nut so I don't damage the nut or threads. as for the bearing just put a chisel throught the inner race of one bearing and pound the outer race of the other bearing out with a hammer. then grab a socket that fits the outer race of the bearing and hammer the next one out. use the socket that fits the outer race to tap the new ones in... don't damage the carrier and don't use a socket that is too small.....
Ooops, you beat me dude. =)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So its a lot tougher than I thought. I can't get the axle out. Rusted in. Banged with a sledge and wood etc etc...

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I had the same problem. I was able to just beat on it till it finally came out. Mine was stuck on the pipe spacer between the bearings.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
The axle should eventually push out or push the bearing and seal out. Either way it should come. Besises beating on it i dont have any better sugestions. Anyone else have an idea?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts