Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as title says went to take back axle out and its completley stuck it wont move out of the swing arm at all sprayed wd40 down it and still no joy any 1 got any clues to what i can do thanx

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tried it maddog ended up making a mess of the axle thread if i keep smashing it will it come out eventually axles no good now any way

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Put the castle nut on backwards and leave it sticking out just a little past the end of the axle. Then put the block of wood on it and hit the wood. This way you won't ruin any threads.

Heat is the next step.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I have a stock axle for sale if you need one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tried it maddog still wont budge whats the heat method a i think this is the only way my axle will come off its totaly stuck my barings or shot as well so ill have to change them also how do i get the swing arm bar out ive un done the bolt but cant get the bar out any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
42 Posts
is the axle stuck in the swing arm bearings or in the disc brake career. You might have to cut off the disc brake career if that is what is stuck. :( How much heat did you use you will probably have to get it red hot before it will brake free. Do a search someone else had this same problem a month ago.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i didnt use the heat method as i dont know what part of the quad to heat,the axle has not move a mm its like its stuck seized in the swing arm or something any help would be appreciated plus how do u get the swingarm main bar out ive un done the bolt but it still wont push out

·
Registered
32 Posts
i would say the next step would be a press. take it to the machine shop and see if they will press it out for you

·
Registered
960 Posts
question did you loosen your chain tensoror bolts all of them

·
Registered
26 Posts
need help too. :help: :mad: :3question: :eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
mikee123 said:
i didnt use the heat method as i dont know what part of the quad to heat,the axle has not move a mm its like its stuck seized in the swing arm or something any help would be appreciated plus how do u get the swingarm main bar out ive un done the bolt but it still wont push out
To get that bolt out of the swing arm take a x-large long screw driver and bang it out with a mallet.

Furthermore I'm in the same boat as you I believe. Trouble getting the brake hub free of the axle. Unless as you say the axle is seized in the swing arm, if thats the problem then its carrier/bearings jammed up. You F'd, get a new rear end. But I think your problem lies in the Brake Hub. I can't get the frigger off either. Had the swing arm off, Bernzomatic torch, Penetrating oil, Smashed the axle end with a 42 oz. Dead Blow mallet. With the rotor off I knocked the brake hub a lttle left and right to loosen it up. Might have if anything loosened the left bearing in the carrier. Puller advice anyone? How much force do you need? Don't want to cut.

Take us through the heat method in laymens term.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got mine out mate had to smash it with a large lump hammer with the swing arm still on the quad gave it about 10 good whacks with sum 1 holding the swing arm and then it finally came loose my barings need changing and one of my seals must of been leaking cause there was rust all on the axle and inside the baring carrier it will come loose just do what i did

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If the brake hub is stuck after removing the axle nuts then heat the brake hub. If the axle is stuck after removing the brake hub heat may not be the answer since you'd have to get the heat to the bearings inside the carrier. Just beating it out with a hammer should move the axle.

Mike123, what did the splines for the brake hub look like after you got it apart?

I've noticed some play developing in my sprocket side hub, it seems as though the splines are starting to wear. IronCityGuy, you might try clamping some thing to the axle and tapping the brake hub back and forth around the axle and watch for radial movement, like the splines failing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is what I would try:
Take the break disc off of the hub; heat the hub up thoroughly then take a hammer and hit the hub (don’t try to kill it) on the outside all around the hub and try not to let it cool this will loosen the rust and crap in the hub. Keep doing this and it will eventually come off.

If you don’t have the patients for that (I don’t :eek:) cut it off with an angle grinder / cut off wheel just be careful when you get to the axle spines.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I went through this a couple months ago. I ended up taking the swing arm off the bbike and puting it in the press to get it out. You cant hammer it as hard as a press will push.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts