Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been back for a while just haven't gotten around to writing up my trip. I figured I would share my learnings and experience as I know that reading up before I went helped a lot. Thanx to everyone who posted before i left in February. Tips were great.
Before I left I got new tires front and rear, HDs. I also got an Armadillo gas rack in the back. Otherwise I'm a stock 06 with bars and plates.
Background on my trip:
I went with a group of 12 motorcycles, 3 other quads, and a rhino. No guides, but some of the dudes in the group have been riding the baja for years. This was my first time along with one other dude on a KTM. We drove straight down to San Felipe from North Bend, WA in about 28 hours. Most riding i've done here is in the woods and on logging roads. No tracks or sand yet, as I've only been riding quad for about 8 months.

Riding: I did around 1190 miles on my raptor across 7 days of riding. We did 4 days of riding down to San Juanico, rest day, and then 3 days back up north. On day one and two i really wondered what I had gotten myself into. The washboard roads were unlike any washboards i had ever been on along with really big rocks. The ride was not fun except for when there were parallel roads that had sand. The farther south we went the more sandy it got and much more fun. The two wheelers had a ruff go of it when we hit the flats along the Pacific. A number of folks got cracked ribs and we got one broken foot.

My ride: I had no flats until get this...when we were putting my quad in my truck. i picked up a nail in the lot. However my HDs are shot in the rear. By about 900 miles they were chunking. The fronts are definitely worn but not done yet. Overall i'm really pleased with how they did perform. The front stock suspension is just a joke and I wish I had upgraded. However the Armadillo rack I bought was A JOKE! I had the 1 gallon can, a tow strap, a bag of tools, and roll of duct tape on it. Half way into day 2 it sheered the bolts in a canyon outside Coco's Corner. I think the design is just really poor. It uses the stock holes which are really just too close together. So when u get going on a ride the two holes on each side are so close together it is like a pivot point. I would not recomend that rack for any hard riding. So for the rest of the ride i had to carry extra gas in my backpack in gatorade and water bottles, since these raptors are not very good on the mileage.

I will do this trip again as long as I can ride. Next year I will get new front suspension and bigger tank if anyone has one by then.

·
***Wildland Firefighter***
3,031 Posts
right on man. Sounds like quite an experience :thumbsup: although I'm not sure I could put my quad through that type of punishment :crazy: But thats just cuz I can barely afford it as it is!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Sounds like you had a good trip :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Any pics for us?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are two sets of pics. http://craigger007.spaces.live.com/photos/ . Mine are the ones labeled Craig and the rest are from other folks. You don't really take pics while you are riding cuz you are going so fast and trying to keep up. Once you get out there you have this huge fear of getting lost even though everyone waits at major turns.

One other thing I forgot is that next year I will get a twisty throttle. My right thumb is even buffer than when I use to play nintendo everyday.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice pics. looks like that trip was a blast. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Awesome! Ive always wanted to ride there, Watching Dust to Glory made me want to ride there even more!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Craigger,

There's tough, and then there is baja tough. I ride down there quite a bit and the place chews up parts. Great though isn't it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Mojo,
It was tuff. Honestly, probably the hardest, but most rewarding thing, I've ever done. The first two days on those rocky/rutty roads made me really want to quit. My hands and wrists were totally swollen and I had to use my left to wrap my right around handle, and i wanted to quit. That place teaches you to push through pain and look for the fun. Plus I think my riding skill level went up 2x down there.
What kind of setup do you run down there? I'm looking for anything to make the front end more comfy next year.

Rad,
D2G is a great movie and motivated me to finally do this trip. Everything they say about the baja is true. There are whoops that eat up cars whole and the old guys down there know their shtuff. Silt wasn't quite as bad on a quad but watching the bikes do it was a blast(well for me, it was scary for them)
BTW, Coco just sent me a tshirt in the mail. I got it yesterday. Wooohooo!

·
Registered
482 Posts
You will need, need, need to upgrade the front suspension. I run Fox floats (nice bang for the buck), along with a Precision steering damper. Absolute night and day difference in control and rider comfort. Suspension upgrades will make you a better, and safer rider.

I also run the basic three mods, as well as a smaller rear sprocket for top end speed (plenty of that required down there). But the experience drastically changes for the better once you upgrade the suspension.

When you headed down next? I am trying to rally some troops to head down in late April.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That sounds like a kick ass trip. I hope to ride with a group of guys from Mexicali to San Felipe next month. About 140 miles. My buddy has a yfz and he upgraded to roll design a-arms with elka dune edition shocks. Night and Day. Very comfortable. Definately saving up my pennies for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts