Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding today and twice, when I tried to start it it would back fire all the way up through the airbox, scaring the $hit out of me and making me jump lol, I was wondering if its the jets or what? btw Idk if im supposed to but i pulse the gas when I'm starting? is that the problem?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Your not supposed to pulse it to start it...Maybe in the winter when its cold like 1/6th throttle pulsing. I just asked Rappy97. He tells me it does only in the winter when he starts and pulses the throttle 1/6 th to be exact! So dont do it anymore and you should be ok and no more backfires in the airbox...

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen Rappy97 is in the thread!!! LOL. Great guy aint he LOL...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine makes a noise when i first start it. Kind of like a 'chuging' sound coming from the fuel tank or fuel line? Sounds similar to a backfire but not as loud. Almost like there is air trapped/releasing from the tank or lines. Is this normal?

Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack.

·
Registered
220 Posts
your loading up the carb an allowing to much fuel on start up. i tap mine full throttle wait like 3 sec an then start it with no choke an it fires everytime. in the winter i do the same but on 1/4 choke for 30-40sec.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Mine makes a noise when i first start it. Kind of like a 'chuging' sound coming from the fuel tank or fuel line? Sounds similar to a backfire but not as loud. Almost like there is air trapped/releasing from the tank or lines. Is this normal?

Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack.
Well no it shouldent chug so your air intake for your tank is partially pinched or clogged or even your tank cap is clogged up a little. If it dosent studer when riding then you should be good. Anyway i wouldent worry too much about it. But maybe worth it to get a new gas cap. Theres a little bearing in the cap does it move freely (rattle easily) ? If it does forget it but if it dosent get a new cap or try to clean it out...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well no it shouldent chug so your air intake for your tank is partially pinched or clogged or even your tank cap is clogged up a little. If it dosent studer when riding then you should be good. Anyway i wouldent worry too much about it. But maybe worth it to get a new gas cap. Theres a little bearing in the cap does it move freely (rattle easily) ? If it does forget it but if it dosent get a new cap or try to clean it out...
Ok, thanks. I will check it out. But the bike is only 3 months old with 15 hours on it and I keep it very clean. Worth checking out though...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I cleaned out my carb, (jets,etc) brand new filter, cleaned air box, cleaned the boots on both sides of intake. Cleaned gas tank and petcock and lines, started with fresh gas. I was riding yesterday and it was a long ride the quad got put through some challenges but did awesome. I went through some mud/water but nothing near the intake or anything like serious. It was about a 4hr ride on and off. Letting the quad cool all the way down for about 45 mins then going again. Well on the way home We took half streets half trails. I had my fuel tank on ON and i was cruising down the street in 6th and it backfired like 3 times and just bogged down till it died and it wouldnt start for a little. It was pretty much like it wasnt getting fuel. I've had this problem once before and i think it was because my petcock was clogged. So i switched it to reserve and it ran fine after that. I very well could of been below the first filter and needed to be put on reserve. Could my fuel petcock be bad? the valve? the filter? Not to mention it still backfires through the carb?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I cleaned out my carb, (jets,etc) brand new filter, cleaned air box, cleaned the boots on both sides of intake. Cleaned gas tank and petcock and lines, started with fresh gas. I was riding yesterday and it was a long ride the quad got put through some challenges but did awesome. I went through some mud/water but nothing near the intake or anything like serious. It was about a 4hr ride on and off. Letting the quad cool all the way down for about 45 mins then going again. Well on the way home We took half streets half trails. I had my fuel tank on ON and i was cruising down the street in 6th and it backfired like 3 times and just bogged down till it died and it wouldnt start for a little. It was pretty much like it wasnt getting fuel. I've had this problem once before and i think it was because my petcock was clogged. So i switched it to reserve and it ran fine after that. I very well could of been below the first filter and needed to be put on reserve. Could my fuel petcock be bad? the valve? the filter? Not to mention it still backfires through the carb?
Running low on fuel is a cause for backfiring............

·
Registered
54 Posts
i checked my fuel when i got off work and it was fine. Ive been having problems with my fuel petcock when its turned to ON. But when i switch to reserve it would run fine (even when it was ON and i had almost a full tank of gas it was backfiring and shutting off) So im thinking either my petcock is screwed up or i have alot of BS in my tank that i havent gotten out yet.

Does anybody prefer any shops in PA to do valves? I talked to 2 shops and they are thinking around 3-400 $$ for doing seals and adjustment.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i checked my fuel when i got off work and it was fine. Ive been having problems with my fuel petcock when its turned to ON. But when i switch to reserve it would run fine (even when it was ON and i had almost a full tank of gas it was backfiring and shutting off) So im thinking either my petcock is screwed up or i have alot of BS in my tank that i havent gotten out yet.

Does anybody prefer any shops in PA to do valves? I talked to 2 shops and they are thinking around 3-400 $$ for doing seals and adjustment.
Probably more varnish in the tank..............

1 - 17 of 17 Posts