Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 03 motor that i just put in my bike, it has been running perfect other than today. it has been backfiring a lot and i happen to notice two of my exhaust bolts have come loose, could that be the cause or is there another way to fix? also is the two bolts missing a big problem for the motor because i order the parts but i cant wait for them, so i decided to keep riding lol. ???

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
You've got an exhaust leak which would be one of the first places I'd look for the source of a sudden disposition to backfire.

You could be leaning it out a bit, but it's not likely hurting the bike long term...then again it could backfire through the carbs and pop them off the intake boots. Easy fix unless they tear.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnx mad dog, i forgot to add that the exhaust bolt hole also leaks oil when i first start it but runs fine after, any problem there?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
thnx mad dog, i forgot to add that the exhaust bolt hole also leaks oil when i first start it but runs fine after, any problem there?
The exhaust bolt hole leaking concerns me since ther is no oil in that area............
The backfiring should stop when you fix the exhaust leak..........

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it just burns a little oil on the startup but quits after that, im only gonna run it today and il have the bolts tomorrow so i shouldnt do any damage to her... hopefully :/

·
Master of the Electron
15,527 Posts
I'd bet the oil is coming from head cover, via the plug weep hole.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is it a major problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts