Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went riding the other night and me and my girlfriend were out riding at night and i let her drive my quad for the first time. She drove it for a few seconds and then killed it. I went over there to start it up, but nothing happened! It was dark and we were a long ways away from anyone! I tried pushing it up a hill and then pushing it down in 5th to try and get it started like that. That didnt work ??? so we hiked a mile to find someone camping out on the dunes.
They towed me back, on the way back the quad was starting but never did all the way. I got back to the camp and charged the battery and it worked of course..

My question though is what you guys think is the real problem? I have HID lights on it and the people at the camp suggested my stator was bad, but i think its just a problem with the battery.

I rode it the next day with no lights on and it didnt have a problem starting. Sorry for the long story! But thanks for the help!

·
Registered
311 Posts
seems you have low amp output.but a volt meter and check your voltage with lights off for a minute at idle,then turn your lights same way to test and compare your readings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seems you have low amp output.but a volt meter and check your voltage with lights off for a minute at idle,then turn your lights same way to test and compare your readings.
where can i get one of these??

any other suggestions?? ???

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew having her ride it would only lead to bad things! haha

but on a more serious note any idea what it could be? it must be a bad battery, cuz when i went to wash it like a week or so later i went to start it and it wouldnt start! so it must be a battery right? how much do new ones cost?

·
Registered
84 Posts
DAMMIT I TYPED THIS ONCE NOW AND I FACEPALMED MY BROWSER...

Look, It sounds like you were running off your battery. Once it was drained then boom, no running. What I would do is go borrow/buy a voltmeter (wally world has them cheap) and measure your voltage at the battery with the bike off, should read like 11-12v ISH. Then start it. IF your voltage doesn't jump to 14.4v ISH then you have a charging problem. Could be stator, rectifier, magnets, short, overloaded. Once you determine there is a charging problem you can ohm out the stator and determine (most likely) if it is the problem. I wont even mention a Megger until you get that far (wait did I just mention that?).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.