Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 months ago, I parked my 01 660 Raptor. It was running fine when I parked it. I forgot to use Stabil for the gas. I went to start it today and it would not start. It will start with some starter fluid and the choke pulled, but will only run for 20 secs. If you try to give it any gas or turn off the choke, it immediately dies. I never had to use the choke before this. My question is what do you guys think the problem is? I think it is bad gas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I changed out all of the old gas and exchanged it with 91 octane gas. Even put a fresh plug in it. Once again, it will only run with starter fluid. Is there a carb adjustment or do I need to clean out the whole carb.

Just from my basic knowledge, it seems like it isn't getting enough gas. The person I bought it from said the quad was jetted a little rich in the past, but I have ran it for 2 years that way with no problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i am a auto mechanic but i work on quads on the side. i realy like working on quads more than cars but the pay is not as good. i have had the same poblem with many customers quads the best way i have found to correct the problem is to completely strip the carbs down to bare bodies. when i say bare bodies i mean remove jets slides, niddles to just bare carb bodies an soak them overnight in carb cleaner reassemble carbs retune an bike should run fine

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tore that thing apart and found the main jet tubes to be completely clogged. You can't see any light through them. Also I am not sure how the choke cable comes out, but that piece is broken and stuck inside the carb. Does anyone have a diagram of how the pieces, maybe from that Yamaha Documentation(I can't find a link to it). The rest of the parts are soaking overnight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, got the new choke parts. Still soaking the carb with the Yamaha carb cleaner. Hopefully it will run when I put it back together because I'm leaving for Glamis sand dunes, so excited.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bike ran all weekend, but it seems to bog out more than before when going up some of the dunes. I was told by the previos owner that it could be running a little rich. The bike has a K&N in box filter, FMF Powerbomb head pipe, and FMF silencer and I know one of the jets is a 145. Any suggestions? Maybe clip settings?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bogs at WOT going up hills. Bogs so the RPMs aren't really climbing that high. I would say about mid-rpms.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
koyota93 said:
Bogs at WOT going up hills. Bogs so the RPMs aren't really climbing that high. I would say about mid-rpms.
Stock mains are 140/145, so if at least one of the jets is a 145 it's no surprise that the bike is bogging, it's running out of fuel.

Sounds like it needs to be rejetted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now when you turn on the gas, I noticed it leaks out the overflow hose. I'm thinking needles. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Probably a sticky float, unless the diaphram on the needle isn't seated right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts