Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a 2005 450 worth with a blown top end? Bikes in nice shape basicly stock. And what kind of money to rebuild the top end of the motor? Parts and machine work? I can do the labor. The owner states that is all thats wrong with it. Im seeing turn key 05 450's going for around $2500. Thanks

·
Registered
850 Posts
on a 2005 you would be best to pull the whole motor. The earlier models had a oiling problem on the crank. Search yfz450 oil mod and you should see what you need. As far as a top end rebuild, depends on what is wrong. Some peoples topend is rings.. others is bigger problems..

·
Registered
728 Posts
What Melon said. If this bike is stock, as in no suspension work, exhaust, and ect, then its not worth it. Find you a 07, I believe, and newer one, or one that has the oil mod done already. The 06 and newer are a true 450 cause they changed the crank. At the bare minimum your looking at about $700 for just a GOOD cylinder and piston with all the gaskets. Thats if there is absolutetly nothing else wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
on a 2005 you would be best to pull the whole motor. The earlier models had a oiling problem on the crank. Search yfz450 oil mod and you should see what you need. As far as a top end rebuild, depends on what is wrong. Some peoples topend is rings.. others is bigger problems..
+1. A stock 2005, I'd almost bet money that it was a wrist pin failure that caused the top end to go out. Classic case of no oil upgrade. At that point, rod could be bad too, so that bike sounds like a big risk...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it for 700.Has some nice aftermarket bolt ons. Cylinder, piston, crank/rod and bent valves. Im taking my time and will hunt for good used parts and put it back together.I got the crank/rod for 130.Im watching for the next good deal.The head is gonna be the tough one to find. Guys seem to up grade to different cranks and big bore kits,so them parts are around,but the heads are always sold or very expensive.My head is good it has bent valves and the valves are not cheap.So time will tell.And yes it was a wrist pin oil failure that caused this.New rebuild will address this issue.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I got it for 700.Has some nice aftermarket bolt ons. Cylinder, piston, crank/rod and bent valves. Im taking my time and will hunt for good used parts and put it back together.I got the crank/rod for 130.Im watching for the next good deal.The head is gonna be the tough one to find. Guys seem to up grade to different cranks and big bore kits,so them parts are around,but the heads are always sold or very expensive.My head is good it has bent valves and the valves are not cheap.So time will tell.And yes it was a wrist pin oil failure that caused this.New rebuild will address this issue.

When buying the head off e-bay/Craigslist be sure it comes with the matching cam tops or you'll have future issues.

·
Registered
850 Posts
If the head is not destroyed step up to +1 stainless valves. It will be a little cheaper than the TI

1 - 8 of 8 Posts