Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short...save 15t for desert have to go to fast for it to be effective at dunes....I wrecked just I was topping out third on the face of a dune for several reasons 1. Wind, 2. Speed, 3. Left shock (as I discovered later) was not set as firm as the right...causing the quad to slide too vertical when I nailed the throttle to correct the line it flipped from right to left plowing me downward into the dune...3 broken rips mild concusion and bike is hurtin... :(

recomendations on what/where to get a stem, riser, and bars I have my eyes on a anti vibe LSR stem with tag 2 bars...any other suggestions :help:

·
Registered
29 Posts
wreckin sux ass! But its sure a fine way to justify those upgrades, lol.

Im wating for that wreck that cause me to have to get a big bore kit, lol, yea right.

Hope you are ok bro. RIDE FAST AND TAKE CHANCES!!! :metal: :satan: :metal:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea no joke...I just got in a set of Bead lock ITP's that I had originally planned on putting on my stock desert tires but the wreck somehow also took out one of my rear rims :3question: the tire (bead) will not hold air so it looks like those rims will now go on me dune tires...And I cant wait until I find the wreck that puts the supercharger in my mustang too!

·
Registered
153 Posts
A note on the stem: I had a fabrication shop that produces race car frames put a new piece of chromolly tubing in mine +3 inches over stock. I bent mine also and the one I had built fits me much better than standard +2 aftermarkets and is lighter and stronger than the stock rolled steel. Total cost for the material and welding the ends on was $80.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
armety said:
A note on the stem: I had a fabrication shop that produces race car frames put a new piece of chromolly tubing in mine +3 inches over stock. I bent mine also and the one I had built fits me much better than standard +2 aftermarkets and is lighter and stronger than the stock rolled steel. Total cost for the material and welding the ends on was $80.
how tall are you? I am bout 6'1 220ish and with my mods dont really want a really high set as most after market setups are higher than stock any way...but my neighbor welds on the side so perhaps I may pay him a visit and see what he can do, if I can get som Chromolly steel the correct length I sure all it is is just cutting off the stock stem what needs to be welded on the new steel...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am 6 3 and I purchased pro taper bars that have a low bend to them. That is why I wanted the higher stem.
If you go this route, you can make whatever length you want, just have them do the cutting as they will need to make sure it is cut clean and time the splined portion right to the handlebar mounts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I have a + 1 Tag stem/ anti vibe clamp. With pro taper contour cr hi bars. Good setup. If you go higher than +1 you will have trouble with cables reaching. Whatever you do research it but LSR is a good company so you should be fine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you go higher than +1 you will have trouble with cables reaching. Whatever you do research it but LSR is a good company so you should be fine.
It depends on the bar, I have no trouble with cables and a +3 stem

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
armety said:
If you go higher than +1 you will have trouble with cables reaching. Whatever you do research it but LSR is a good company so you should be fine.
It depends on the bar, I have no trouble with cables and a +3 stem
True. Sorry I forgot to add With a bar similar to the CR HI which I have things will be tight with anything above the +2. I am happy with the TAG so far. You can feel the difference with the antivibe clamps but it's not as drastic of a difference as from what I understand the Flexx bars will do.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Check with Steve at Fuel ATV (sponser on the site). He is building very nice stems and sells whatever bars you may want.
Tell me more about your thoughts on the 15 tooth for the dunes. I run a 15t and love it. I only ride sand.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did not like the 15T in the dunes either, but I also run a taller tire, 22's STU's Sand Skates II's. I agree check with Fuel ATV. He can get you the stem he makes for a good price, I went with Rated X, my buddy talked me into it and Flexx bars, +2 on the Stem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For me its too much wheel spin in third, I guess with a taller tire it would compensate but I have the 8 paddle scat trak edge and even with those the rear end seemed a little too squirly for me in third...before it was perfect...I think I will keep the sprocket on if I just plan on dragging or desert trail riding. For high speed dunning I want something a little more predictible...only have so many ribs...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Raptor7hun said:
For me its too much wheel spin in third, I guess with a taller tire it would compensate but I have the 8 paddle scat trak edge and even with those the rear end seemed a little too squirly for me in third...before it was perfect...I think I will keep the sprocket on if I just plan on dragging or desert trail riding. For high speed dunning I want something a little more predictible...only have so many ribs...
How much air pressure are you running in your paddles? The 15t helped me with wheel spin but so did dropping to 3lbs. of air pressure.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
4 psi....The more I think about it the more I am blaming the left shock that was not set as firm as the right when I crashed...The bike flipped toward the softer shock...Had I double check my shocks prior to riding I think I would be singing the praises of the 15t in the dunes...For me wrecking going that fast messed with me a little upstairs and I know it will take a while to get back out there. I have some time at least to heal and work on my bike before heading out to the Cinders in Flagstaff...

As a side note, I was able to beat my friend that has the exact same bike color and everything...only difference is I went with TR and he went with LTE duals and power comander... When we were racing he kept getting the jump from the launch but I eventually would catch him in 3 - 4th. Having the bikes essentially the same right next to each other you really can see how much torque you lose going to a 15t...I tried riding his (stock sprocket) and I couldn't keep the wheels on the ground because you get used to hammering the throttle and not having that happen with the 15t.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts