Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I'm a neebie on this site,but i am prepping to do the baja 1000 mile race in november on my 700R,I am looking for a couple of guys that want to help with pit stops ect,sorry no riders! i want to do it solo! I will pay for all expenses [food,acc,ect]I will be travelling from GA . The race is from nov 10 to nov 16 2007.Also looking for any form of sponsorship ...
John
2006 Raptor 700R

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Yeah, that's quite the commitment... I'd love to go but I can't take that much time off of work. I'd love to race the baja someday but I don't think it'd be the 1000. The 250 would probably be more than enough to whip my ass.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,I have been riding a lot,do you guys think i should change the radiator for a bigger one ?[i think my biggest challange will be cooling]I see on ebay theres one listed that they claim will cool the engine by 25%,what do you think? I already have a oil cooler mounted on mine . I will post pictures soon of my machine!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think your cooling problems will come from excesive dust and dirt in the radiator, you would be better off working with other pit crews to keep it cleaned out. The stock radiator should be able to handle it I did a lot of desert riding in Yuma/Glamiths area the last few years as long as it's not 100 degrees plus out side you should be ok.

·
Registered
112 Posts
that is really cool that you are going to race that baja. I have always wanted to compete in it myself but don't really know where to begin. I feel like it would be a big self acheivement to accomplish something of that magnitude. Do you have any idea about what it is going to cost inorder to complete the race. I am talking about total expences? And also where did you do most of your research on the race. I would love to even go just to learn about it then maybe compete in it the following year. thanks and good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am guessing at this point ,but I think it will cost me about $20k including the bike,I also bought a hell of a lot of spare parts,and an enclosed trailer[used of course].I am really looking foward to it...hopefully all will go well! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
What is the longest race you ran? Ironmanning the Baja 1000 sounds insane to me. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well good luck john i hope all goes well for you. If i could get away that long i would love to come and support you along your way.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
John do you have any off-road organizations around you? Like S.C.O.R.E or something similar? If so and if you can try to pre-run the course it gives you a idea of what to expect. Or pre-run the baja 1000 course one year then the next year run it. I know it may be changed and what not but gives you a idea of what to expect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know of any here in GA, I'm sure there are ,but there is lots of places to ride here,so I go out once a week for 4-5 hours,hoping to gradually up that as time gets closer .I also like the fact that I have not been there yet,it will be great if I can just finish in the allotted time on my first try.I also think a lot of the guys who do this race for the first time go flat out for the first couple hundred miles and fall off and get hurt! so my plan is to take it easy in the beggining[yea right!] and then go flat out towards the end. I know the DS 650 has done real well there,[i currently have two at my shop].I just love my yami ,and I think it would be great if I could just beat one!! I think as far as the actual ride,I,ll be ok,I think I just need to work on my pit crew!! YOU GUYS BETTER CHEER FOR ME!!!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I hear you on riding, I try to ride at least two saturdays out of the month for eight hours on non stop riding. it seems to really help me ride longer and stay in shape as well. Plus I ride with the crew the other saturdays so that helps as well.

Yeah the 650's are proven but I am a YAMAHA FAN thats why I am going with it. I hope to take it easy after the first 50 miles or so to let me whine down then once I get 50 miles from the end pick up the pace. if I can at least finish in the top 10 and on time I will be very happy then next year go for the top five.

Best of luck man.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.