Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Red Label barkers on Firday, and I finally had time to put them on today and run a sound test. These pipes are actually a little quieter than the LTE pipes. According to the MIC website, which is what the Oregon Dunes used as a referencec for the RPMs to test the sound, the Raptor 700 with stock stroke is measured at 3125 RPM.

At 4000 RPM the Barkers measured 90db without quiet cores. These pipes and the LTEs both pass the Oregon sound tests. The LTEs were about 88db at idle and the Barklers were at about 85db at idle, but the LTEs measured about 91db at 3125.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Might I ask what meter you're using?

I'm looking to get one myself but don't need to go overboard.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Are you saying we don't need the quiet cores?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sounds a little low to me. Mine seem louder at idle than the stocker was at anything less than half throttle, and stock is supposed to be around 88-90 DB's.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Zebradog said:
I got my Red Label barkers on Firday, and I finally had time to put them on today and run a sound test. These pipes are actually a little quieter than the LTE pipes. According to the MIC website, which is what the Oregon Dunes used as a referencec for the RPMs to test the sound, the Raptor 700 with stock stroke is measured at 3125 RPM.

At 4000 RPM the Barkers measured 90db without quiet cores. These pipes and the LTEs both pass the Oregon sound tests. The LTEs were about 88db at idle and the Barklers were at about 85db at idle, but the LTEs measured about 91db at 3125.

Wow when was the last time you calibrated your DB unit? I was running 104 db at idle and 107 at around 4000 rpm 10 feet from the pipes with out quite cores

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the meter from Guitar Center, full digital meter.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__American_Recorder_American_Recorder_ART_Sound_Level_Meter,__9376134/

http://americanrecorder.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=151

I tested the stock pipe at idle, and it was 88db.

I used this method

http://www.4wheelatv.com/detail.asp?id=54

I called the Oregon Dunes association and they told me that I can go to the MIC website to get the exact RPMs I would be tested at, just to be sure. By the way, the method that the 4Wheelatv link gave me came up with the same number hat is on the MIC website. Here is that link:

http://www.mic.org/members/membership/2006-07TestRPMSupplement.pdf

And to be sure, I bought the Briggs and Stratton meter, but I questioned it's accuracy, so I used the Power Commander to get the RPM from that.

Snowman-who tested your bike and what equipment did they use? How far away were they? Enclosed or in the open area?

I'm gonna call the company tomorrow and find out about calibration, but I think it is self calibrating.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Quiet core in???

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Zebradog i would definately get a second test from an actual db meter that the rangers have in oregon. I know that our yfz tested 101 db and it is quiter than the raptor with barkers.

·
Registered
241 Posts
snowman said:
Zebradog said:

Wow when was the last time you calibrated your DB unit? I was running 104 db at idle and 107 at around 4000 rpm 10 feet from the pipes with out quite cores
Yeah i would get a 2nd opinion these exhausts are loud with no cores in but what a beatiful sound they make . Thanks Snowman used your 1st map you sent me seemed a little fat tho , getting my bike dynoed Wednesday had a guy pull out at the last minute so i jumped the cue ill send you mine when hes done ! . no lid /no cores cause we dont have a sound issue here just go for it ! .
Steve
WA

·
Registered
227 Posts
Steve,
You from Washington? Because we do have a db level to worry about. I believe it's 96 dbs. I have the quiet cores ordered and I am very interested in your results Zebradog :thumbsup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
techquadshop said:
his WA means Western Australia
:thumbsup: That makes more sense! Thanks for the clarification.

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
techquadshop said:
Zebradog i would definately get a second test from an actual db meter that the rangers have in oregon. I know that our yfz tested 101 db and it is quiter than the raptor with barkers.
You are also talking about 1 silencer vs 2 silencer. There is no way a single exhaust is going to be quieter than a dual, there is twice as much muffler and the sound is split into two directions. I called the company and verified that you do not need to calibrate the unit, it is calibrated at the factory, and seeing that it is less than 2 months old, I don't think that is the problem. Since my validity is being questioned, I have called the Oregon Dunes and I am awaiting a call back from them to verify what meter they use and what weighting they use.

Just to verify, I will run the test again and change the weighting back and forth from A to C. I will setup a tripod, the laptop and my db meter again, and take pictures. When I talked to the manufacturer, he assured me I did the test right, and I needed to document it completly to prove beyond a doubt to any official who challanged it, and to fight a ticket. My entire purpose of doing this is to avoid the ticket all together. I hate quiet cores, I want the pure raw sound.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes those numbers are low. I had my LTE's without quiet core checked and I was at 95db's. That is from the Ranger's here locally in Oregon. If I hadn't stopped though and asked for a courtesy check they said they would not have messed with me because mine was not loud and not worth checking. They still said they would not give me a ticket, regardless. There are some very loud singles out there that always attract attention. I have heard from a few guys that have owned both LTE's and Barker's that the Barker's are just a little louder all around but not much.

Craig,

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I tested the Barkers, they were quieter than the LTEs.

I called Sharron at the Oregon Dunes, she is the top person there I guess when it comes to rules and regs. She verified with me that you use db "A" measurements not db "C", and you use slow sampling rates not fast, and measure 20 inches from the output at a 45 degree angle.

This is exactly how I measure them, except that the sampling rate was fast. I'm am going to repeat the tests in a few hours and take pictures of everything so I have proof it passes in case I do get pulled over.

I ran a test at idle real fast to see how what the differences were between "A" and "C" weighting, and the "C" was 101 at idle, but the dunes use "A" which was about 85-86. Big difference. It seems really low, but I can't argue with the meter, and if they use the "A" weighting, they are cutting off all lower frequencies, which I'm sure we will all agree that 4-stroke dbs are very bass-ey.

For those who care, "A" weighting is an industry standard for concerts and such, and filters out everything below about 88hz, or really low frequencies. The "C" has a wider frequency curve and includes those frequencies, causing the db levels to raise. According to American Recorder Technologies, lower octives produce higher db levels, ie when you play a G note on a piano in the high range, and you play the same note in the low end of the piano, the lower note produces more db than the high note. There are actually 4 different weighting levels or bandwidths, here is a graph for those interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighting_filter

You can really see the difference between the Yellow line and the Blue. One last note, if you want to use the exact meter they use, here it is:

http://www.quest-technologies.com/Sound/Basic/SoundPatrolDP.htm

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for all the hard work you are putting in to this! :thumbsup:
We all benefit from your efforts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
"Snowman-who tested your bike and what equipment did they use? How far away were they? Enclosed or in the open area?"

I tested it I used a realistic sound leval meter that is calibrated once a month, I work in an industrial setting and have to messure the sound levels to meet OSHA standards so I know my meeter is good.

I was in an open area just for S&G I re-did the readings 20' from and 45 degree angle

no quiet cores 101 db
spark arestors installed 97 db

both at Idle

no quiet core 4000 Rpm 106 db
spark arestors installed 4000 rpm 102 db

db was calibrated 4-28-07

·
Registered
113 Posts
sorry that was 20" at a 45 not 20'

·
Registered
227 Posts
The quiet cores only dropped it down 4db's huh?? No offense but I'm hoping Zebradog's closer to being correct than yours Snowman. 102 db's is going to get alot of us into some trouble.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts