·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my Barkers today, on the left side it is touching:
- Some wires
- The metal part of the engine
- My chain/sproket guard..

I'm guessing metal and guard is fine but touching wires is scaring me..

Anyway around this?

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Heat tape on the wires, Heat wrap the pipe, and ziptie the wires to the far right(use the top starter bolt). I like to bolt my headers where i want them then install the cans. Usually nets a 1/4"

·
Registered
560 Posts
my wires don't give me any trouble but the pipe does slightly rest on top of the stator cover, same with the DMCs I had before the barkers. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the barkers in better position but the way the pipes mate makes it really hard to get much adjustment.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so heat taping the wires and the exhaust should be fine?

how about touching the stator cover? is that ok too?

i'm kind off disappointed with the fit on the left side... right side was flawless.

One thing i've also noted... that it doesnt start as good as it used to be stock.. Is it because I haven't put the fuel controller on yet? Didn't have time for that, I just wanted to start it to check it. Plus my idle is rough and it dies on reverse.

·
Registered
749 Posts
just spend some time adjusting and reworking the header. mine doesnt touch the metal part of the engine, there is some clearance above the sproket guard, and the wires also have about an inch or so of clearance. also, when you look at mine from behind, there is also some clearance so nothing touches the sides of the frame.

just keep at it...it'll be worth it!

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
You need to get the fuel controller hooked up asap. Dont run it without because you will be lean. That's why it's idling funny. Also like melonfarmer said you need to heat tape the wires and ziptie them back to the starter motor. I never used any heat wrap on my headers so that's up to you. However the header should not be touching the stator cover. A couple years ago barker had a bad jig and produced a bunch of sets that weren't bent quite right. Mine happen to be one of those sets and it beat the hell out of my stator cover. Looked like I took my waffle hammer to it. I contacted barker and he said I could send that header back and he would fix it free of charge. I just never did and I'm still running it like that. I also had to trim a bit of my fender away on the left side.

·
Registered
316 Posts
zip-ty those wires to your starter.... what up melon squeezer

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so guys, no long term potential problems if it touches the stator cover??

·
Registered
56 Posts
heat tape the wires, zip tie them, notch out the chain gaurd and take the stator cover off you dont really need it.........lightens the bike for drag racing too!

·
Registered
448 Posts
i had the same issue, i zip tied the wires over toward the right side/middle of the quad and i cut down the plastic on the chain guard bc it got melt a lil anyhow. i have ridden it for 10+ hrs and the wires are fine and nothing is touching

·
Registered
316 Posts
you will need 1/4-1/2" clearance min. between the pipe and wires

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you need help give me a call im next door:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Loosen the bolts on the head and the can, stick a screwdriver between the case and the pipe then tighten. You wouldn't think it would stay up there but it does. With that little bit of clearance the wires won't be a problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did a little custom fitting on mine. Marked the bottom and left side of the header where it mates with the head, and ground off about 1/16" carefully, then resurfaced the mating area to make sure it was still flat. Gave me about 1/2" of clearance over the starter.

Mount the tailpipe after the header has been mounted.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cycle gear has the fiber glass heat tape that wraps around your pipe with metal zip ties. I had to do that for my dmc dual force 4's.. use regular zip ties to try to go around the wires and then back to anything that will pull them away from the pipe.. Wrap the pipe good for quite a ways and you should never have a problem.. So far ive done about 100 hours on mine and still no melting issues and i run dunes a lot and even high rpms and summer dont cause a problem.

·
Registered
369 Posts
when i put my duals on i zip tied everything and never had any trouble out of it then my trans went out and took it to a yamaha dealer cause i though the warrenty would cover it and when i got my quad back they just threw it back together and didnt put anything back how i had it, it melted my wires (all the insulation melted off) like you was talking about but my quad wouldnt turn very high rpms outside of 1st gear so i bought some liquid tape and put several coats on it and i wraped my headers with heat wrap i bought it off of a guy on ebay best price you will find (http://motors.shop.ebay.com/jamminjack317/m.html) and i wraped both pipes all the way back to the mid pipe with the 2 inch wide and and 20 ft. was plenty i still even had some left over knock on wood i havent had no trouble since and im not gonna say it is the best fix but its the best i been able to do and i also drilled a lil hole in my frame to run a spring to pull the pipe against the frame and away from the wires so it dont have any play in it its not the best looking thing but it works! ill post some pics tomorrow of what i did to give yall a better idea....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts