Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, has anyone seperated the Barker quiet cores from the spark arrester? I have to have a spark arrester here, but I don't want the quiet core. Does anyone have the combo that can tell me whetherr or not they can be seperated without damaging the screen?

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spark arresters are not shipped with the pipes, they are attached to the quiet cores somehow, but you can't see how form the pictures. I need to have the sparkarresters removed from the core so I can have them in the pipes. I don't mind the money, I'll buy the stupid quiet cores, but I want to be able to remove the spark arresters from the cores. ANYONE! Does anyone have these? Can they send me a picture of how they are attached? If it's a spot weld, that easily removeable.

My friend is going to buy the Barkers and trade me straight up for my LTEs, so I gotta know if this is possible.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
You should go to barkers web site and ask them... I'm sure they would answer your question!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
They do not make just an arrestor. I have been looking for the same thing. I just orderd the quiet cores and will have them on Thursday so will take a look and see if you can seperate them. I have ben having the same problem. I made some screens to go into the barkers. The end cap comes off and there is a sholder machined out of the main can that gives room to put an arrestor or assume it is for the quiet core. I bought a muffeler repair kit from an autoparts store that had a couple pieces of metal screen in it and then bought a sheet of high temp gasket material along with some high temp rvt silicone gasket maker and sandwiched the screen between 4 round dounut shaped things I cut out of the gasket material and put layers of silicone between it all. I made it to fit into that sholder inside the barker can and it is all compressed together and held in place when you put the end cap back on. It is stupid to have to do but in the OR dunes you have to have them if you get checked. I am just hoping that I can seperate the quiet cores from the arrestor and have somethingbetter but I am going to guess that the two will be one and the same unit and cannot be seperated.

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the spark arresters out of my LTEs and took them to a shop where they sell stainless screen mesh. I bought a 36"X12" piece, I really had no other choice since there isn't anything else available right now. HA, at least I can make a whole bunch of them now, and make frisbees out of them or something... :lol:I need the spark arrester and quiet core to be seperate. I'll end up fabricating my own, but at least I can get a set of Barkers! :thumbsup:

I will also post sound results when I get them, I'll run the test without the quiet cores and see if they pass the Oregon requirements; the LTEs do so I assume the Barkers will.

·
Registered
256 Posts
there are different maps for with and without quiet cores, will another one be needed for just the spark arrestor? sorry to hijack.

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rabara9 said:
there are different maps for with and without quiet cores, will another one be needed for just the spark arrestor? sorry to hijack.
I highly doubt the spark arresters need a new map, it's just a screen. as far as sound, Oregon requires the sound limit ot be a certain level ONLY AT 3125 RPM, the DB level they are quoting from Barker is max I'm pretty sure. It must be >93db at 3125, and the LTEs meet that requirement, so the Barkers should be low enough, they are similar setups. The LTEs ran 91-91.5 db at 3125, and we measure the RPMs on the laptop with the PCIII and with the Briggs & Stratton RMP resonance tachometer (which is what they use at the dunes)I should have my barkers begining of next week and I'll run the DB test then and post the results, but I'm pretty confident they will be fine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
techquadshop said:
I should have thougth about that when I ordered the quiet cores from you the other day, I didnt even think about a different map. Is there much difference between cores in and out? If so let me know what you want for the map. Thanks again for such quick service on getting to cores to me before the weekend. Defenitly appreciate it!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.