Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have been watching in the backfield for a while. I have been searching on here and looking for ideas. I have a problem with my battery boiling over. The bike runs fine but as the time goes on when running the battery heats up and will eventually cause the bike to just shut off! I will then have no battery power what so ever. Not even a neutral light. As the battery cools down It will come back. Coudl this be from a dead short? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
I'd guess it's due to a bad regulator - measure battery voltage when engine speed is well above idle - if it ever exceeds 14.5V it is likely the regulator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I have taken so long to reply. I am getting 14.7 above idle at the terminals. I was screwing around this week and cannot get it to run with a charger on the battery. I am picking up a new battery and going to check once I have the new battery in it. I think 14.7 is in the acceptable range. What should I look at next?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Sorry I have taken so long to reply. I am getting 14.7 above idle at the terminals. I was screwing around this week and cannot get it to run with a charger on the battery. I am picking up a new battery and going to check once I have the new battery in it. I think 14.7 is in the acceptable range. What should I look at next?
It should NOT go above 14.7 volts.................:)

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
It's not the battery... it's the regulator, IMO. A bad regulator may have damaged the battery... it will just do the same with a new battery if you don't fix the real problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright I have two regulators does it matter between 01-02. I have bought a couple spare bikes and have two extra regulators. If I start the bike and am getting anything over 14.5 volts I will try a different regulator. Before I try just wanted to make sure that 01 and 02 can both be used on my 02 raptor.

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
they're the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay I tryed both regulators and only get a faint click at the starting switch. I get the temp light and thats it. I cannot get the starter to turn the motor over. Any suggestions? The battery has a full charge. I am stumped at the moment!

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
As already said, your battery may be damaged - use jumper cables to a good auto battery. An overly sulfated battery will charge at a high voltage, but has high internal resistance, so it can't supply much current. You can't tell by static voltage - you must use a hygrometer, a battery load tester or measure voltage while trying to start... bet it's down at 6V or below.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have replaced the battery and still getting the same situation. A faint click and no turn over. I am really stumped. I am going to try and jump the new battery with my charger/boost box. Is there anywhere else I should be looking outside of the battery?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.