Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 01 Raptor 660. Well here is the problem. It had a bad battery, so I had to push start it.

But I bought a new battery from Wal-Mart for like $60. I put the water shit in it, and did all the directions. It said I had to charge it for a while, and I charged it for about an hour. Started up, then we stalled it, and then the when I went to start it, I pushed the button and it didn't do anything.

I charged it for about 2 hours again today. Started it, I stalled it backing up (I just got it), then I started it again, and stalled again a few minutes later lol. Then I tried to start it again, and the button doesn't do anything.

I think it's either :
A. My charger isn't charging the battery very well.
B. The battery is a POS and isn't doing it's job.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you have a volt meter you can hook it up across the + and - terminals of the battery while trying to start it. 12-13 volts without trying to start, I think it's around 10-11 is acceptable with a load, I'll need to check.

You should also clean the terminals at the relay and starter. A fine sandpaper will work for this.

A battery that is sold dry and you add the electolyte [watershit] to shouldn't need to be charged, if this was the directions so be it, I'm assuming that wallyworld sells a battery with low quality electrolyte. Thanks for the tip, won't be buying a battery there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh. Well you're probably right because I'm POSITIVE that mine said I had to charge it. I left it on the charger ALL night, and I'm about to go try it. I may need a better battery :mad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it back and got a new one, I had the wrong one. I let it charge for like 2 hours, and hooked it up to the 660. The lights n stuff would work. And when I press the starter button, the oil light turns red, so it has connection and stuff, but it didn't make any sounds. Like it didn't try to start or anything.

I'm letting the battery charge all night, but if it isn't the battery, what could it be. I press the button and it the starter doesn't do ANYTHING. No noises no nothing. But sometimes it will start up fine (if i charge the battery for a long ass time)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
starting relay's don't last forever, might be time.
use a large wire, simmilar in size to the battery cable, and by pass the relay. posative side of the battery to the starter side of the relay. automotive jumper cables could be substituted if you don't have a piece of wire that size.

BE CAREFUL DOING THIS BATTERY'S CAN EXPLODE IF SHORTED.

Turn the ignition on
motor in neutral
hold lead on relay and touch the other end + battery terminal.
If it cranks like you would expect then get a new relay.

BE CAREFUL DOING THIS BATTERY'S CAN EXPLODE IF SHORTED.

did you clean the 4 terminals in this circuit?
do you have a voltmeter?

The raptor can also be jumped from a car battery, again, be carefull

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where exactly is the relay? I just got this thing about 4 days ago.

I don't know what it could be unless the relay is GOING bad, or the battery. Cuz sometimes the starter does stuff and sometimes it make no noises, does NOTHING.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And could it be my starter being messed up?

If my starter was messed up, wouldn't it still make noises n stuff?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
As was said check your voltages to see what the battery is putting out. Also check the output from your charger.

With your car off, use the car battery to jump your raptor. If it works then you can focus on the battery and not the bike.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
g0buckeyez said:
Anyone? Anyone? :eek:
a touch impatient?

The relay is under the seat, the hot (+) wire from the battery attaches to it.
From the relay the other large wire goes to the starter. It also has 2 blade fuses in it, one's a spare by the way.

I'm quessing that if you don't know where to find the relay you new to wrenching on stuff? Not trying to belittle you or any thing, just asking. If your new to this you may want to get some assistance from someone that is familliar with cars or motorcycles or atv's. Just for the help and an extra set of eyes. Shorting electrical stuff can get expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts