Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, sorry in advance for another tranny question. This is my first time tearing into a motor this deep, much less a tranny. The usual 2nd gear not working is what started this process. When I removed the clutch cover, I was surprised to notice the clutch pressure plate all gouged up as well as the inside of the cover. I also noticed 2 of the tabs on clutch rings that sit in the basket were broken off. I found 2-3 small metal pieces on this side, assuming it was from the clutch or gears. I continued on to split the case to inspect everything. Looking at the gears, they all looked fine. I started looking at the engagement dogs and the ones on the gear 2nd to the left on the output shaft are a little rounded. Is this a cause for the 2nd gear issue? Is this gear the 2nd or 4th gear? Do both have to be replaced or just the one with the rounded dogs? Any help would be great.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok guys, sorry in advance for another tranny question. This is my first time tearing into a motor this deep, much less a tranny. The usual 2nd gear not working is what started this process. When I removed the clutch cover, I was surprised to notice the clutch pressure plate all gouged up as well as the inside of the cover. I also noticed 2 of the tabs on clutch rings that sit in the basket were broken off. I found 2-3 small metal pieces on this side, assuming it was from the clutch or gears. I continued on to split the case to inspect everything. Looking at the gears, they all looked fine. I started looking at the engagement dogs and the ones on the gear 2nd to the left on the output shaft are a little rounded. Is this a cause for the 2nd gear issue? Is this gear the 2nd or 4th gear? Do both have to be replaced or just the one with the rounded dogs? Any help would be great.
2nd gear is attached to 3rd gear, it must be changed as one and the gear theat second latches into must also be changed..........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must be really off then, I am looking at the shaft that connects to the front sprocket. This shaft doesn't have any gears that are combined together.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so I looked up a schematic, and the dogs that are rounded are on the 5th gear that mates into the 3rd gear. At this point, I see no evidence of rounding or wearing on the 2nd gear or shift fork. The shift fork at 5th gear is a bit worn on one side, but nothing looks catastrophic. Is is it possible the metal parts that broke off the clutch plates were just playing havov on everything in there even though no metal pieces were found between the cases?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so, no bent shift forks, dogs appear to be good. Noticed 2nd gear teeth are pointed and all the others have flat spots on top of the teeth. I am lost............will a complete 03 gearset drop in and work?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts