Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st off, sorry I haven't been active here for a while...been out ridin trouble free too much! lol ... Anyway...

Last saturday night I was at a good ol' fashioned beer in the fridge jello shots in the cooler and what ever else you want party out in the sticks. I brought the Raptor, and got it stuck in the mud, my buddy pulled me free with his blazer...Thanks Buddy!

HERE"S THE PROBLEM!...I let some other drunk fools TRY to ride it. I told them this thing aint no toy and it could hurt them bad, but they proceeded, to stall it.
After about 5 or 6 stalls, another guy climbed on and said let me show you how to do it. Well, he stalled it. Once. On his second try he got it puttin down th gravel and finally got into it a little, he got to a spot to turn around and when he got half way back, I noticed the engine just revving and no movement. I thought the chain might have popped off again, so I walked down to where he was, and I got on it, and put into 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear (didn't bother checking 4th n 5th) and there is no movement, like its in neutral or clutch disengaged, but the clutch pull still feels just fine and I can feel the gears changing. There is no strange noise or any other symptoms or signs, nor has there been any signs of anything "wearing out" ..it just happened all at once.

Any ideas? (other than keeping drunks off my bike)

·
Registered
54 Posts
What kind of oil is in it? Or even what kind has been in it in the past?

It sounds to me like the clutch may not be fully engaging, is slipping. Just my .02 :)

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Clutch would be my 1st guess - a bunch of drunk morons who don't know how to ride, just cranking on a partially pulled clutch - SHAME ON YOU FOR BREAKING RULE #1! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
What's that saying about friends don't let friends ride drunk? +3 on clutch.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
+4 on the clutch.. :)

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Tommy, you can't count...

·
Registered
29 Posts
1st rule, i let no one ride my stuff. everyone says they will pay for it if it breaks till it happens! Guess what they dont!(dont ask) i dont ride others people stuff and they dont ride mine.(anymore) could be the clutch,dont get me wrong drunk riding isnt safe but it seems fun at the time!!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
clutch..I figured as much, the oil probly too...here's a silly question, well maybe not really being a V-twin owner as well, does the clutch operate on the same oil as the crankcase? meaning the same oiling system, not type of oil.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Yes, it's all the same oil.

·
Registered
54 Posts
clutch..I figured as much, the oil probly too...here's a silly question, well maybe not really being a V-twin owner as well, does the clutch operate on the same oil as the crankcase? meaning the same oiling system, not type of oil.
I used to have a V-twin myself, an IronHead Sporty, that's actually why I asked about the oil. I'm new to sport quads and am just learning so am curious about the wrong oil affecting the clutch. What oil would actually have a negative effect on the clutch?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have heard that synthetic oils are NOT used in wet clutch systems? is this wrong? cuz if I remember right, I filled my primary on the Buell with the SAME oil I put in the crankcase which was H-D full synthetic and had no problems at all.

IS THERE a recommended oil?

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Rule number 1: DON'T let ANYONE ride your stuff.

Rule number 2: Regardless of how much they plead, chide or bribe, read them rule number 1 and stick to it.

Rule number 3: When you DO break down and let them ride your stuff, don't get pissed off when they break something (cuz you KNOW they will)... It's your own damn fault for ignoring rule number 1 and 2.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Rule number 1: DON'T let ANYONE ride your stuff.

Rule number 2: Regardless of how much they plead, chide or bribe, read them rule number 1 and stick to it.

Rule number 3: When you DO break down and let them ride your stuff, don't get pissed off when they break something (cuz you KNOW they will)... It's your own damn fault for ignoring rule number 1 and 2.

Uh huh................:D

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Any oil without friction modifiers should work with a wet clutch. With a few exceptions though, I am sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts